Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > I'm having alot of noise from my sound card whenever there is any "action" on the screen.

I'm having alot of noise from my sound card whenever there is any "action" on the screen.

Marc

Everytime I type a letter there is static. Restore a window, the equalizer
in Winamp, scroll down a window are all causing this static. Will moving
the video card and the sound card to slot further apart help? Now they are
in 1 and 4 but I can move them to 1 and 6. The video card is a NVIDIA
GeForce2 MX400 and the sound card is a Sound Blaster Live. I didn't have
this problem on my old 98SE machine but the cards were different this is
driving me crazy.

Marc

Meat Plow

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:00:31 +0000, Marc Has Frothed:

> Everytime I type a letter there is static. Restore a window, the
> equalizer in Winamp, scroll down a window are all causing this static.
> Will moving the video card and the sound card to slot further apart help?
> Now they are in 1 and 4 but I can move them to 1 and 6. The video card is
> a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 and the sound card is a Sound Blaster Live. I
> didn't have this problem on my old 98SE machine but the cards were
> different this is driving me crazy.
>
> Marc

Give it a try and see what happens.

Synapse Syndrome

"Marc" <mcnr@(_N_O_S_P_A_M_)mindspring.com> wrote in message
newsdDGg.7285$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Everytime I type a letter there is static. Restore a window, the
> equalizer in Winamp, scroll down a window are all causing this static.
> Will moving the video card and the sound card to slot further apart help?
> Now they are in 1 and 4 but I can move them to 1 and 6. The video card is
> a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 and the sound card is a Sound Blaster Live. I
> didn't have this problem on my old 98SE machine but the cards were
> different this is driving me crazy.

Has your motherboard got a VIA chipset?

ss.

John Holmes

Marc "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Everytime I type a letter there is static. Restore a window, the
> equalizer in Winamp, scroll down a window are all causing this static.
> Will moving the video card and the sound card to slot further apart
> help? Now they are in 1 and 4 but I can move them to 1 and 6. The
> video card is a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 and the sound card is a Sound
> Blaster Live. I didn't have this problem on my old 98SE machine but
> the cards were different this is driving me crazy.
>
> Marc

Is your system grounded properly?

--
Your mother was a dim-witted compulsive liar who danced naked in
graveyards.

Marc

It's an ABit KR7A which apparently does have a VIA chipset. Why?

Marc

"Synapse Syndrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Marc" <mcnr@(_N_O_S_P_A_M_)mindspring.com> wrote in message
> newsdDGg.7285$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>> Everytime I type a letter there is static. Restore a window, the
>> equalizer in Winamp, scroll down a window are all causing this static.
>> Will moving the video card and the sound card to slot further apart help?
>> Now they are in 1 and 4 but I can move them to 1 and 6. The video card
>> is a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 and the sound card is a Sound Blaster Live. I
>> didn't have this problem on my old 98SE machine but the cards were
>> different this is driving me crazy.

> Has your motherboard got a VIA chipset?
>
> ss.

Synapse Syndrome

"Marc" <mcnr@(_N_O_S_P_A_M_)mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:CRIGg.7350$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> It's an ABit KR7A which apparently does have a VIA chipset. Why?

When Win2000 came out I remember having a lot of crackling and popping
noises from my SB Live! card with my Asus board that had a VIA chipset. It
was a common problem. Some people said that PCI latency patches or that
certain issues of the VIA 4in1 drivers cured it, but I never got it cured
until I stopped messing around with those. I think that some later MS
update fro the PCI bus in Win2000 or XP finally cured it. Just make sure
you have XP fully updated and patched up.

ss.

Synapse Syndrome

"Synapse Syndrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Marc" <mcnr@(_N_O_S_P_A_M_)mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:CRIGg.7350$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>> It's an ABit KR7A which apparently does have a VIA chipset. Why?
>>

> When Win2000 came out I remember having a lot of crackling and popping
> noises from my SB Live! card with my Asus board that had a VIA chipset.
> It was a common problem. Some people said that PCI latency patches or
> that certain issues of the VIA 4in1 drivers cured it, but I never got it
> cured until I stopped messing around with those. I think that some later
> MS update fro the PCI bus in Win2000 or XP finally cured it. Just make
> sure you have XP fully updated and patched up.

Another thing that you could try is adjust your PCI latency timings in your
BIOS. I'd suggest you serach Google for forum discussions.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...ve+noise&meta=

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...se&sa=N&tab=wg

ss.

Marc

Thanks I change the BIOS and everything is working great.

Marc

"John Holmes" <nospam@****ithard.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Marc "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> Everytime I type a letter there is static. Restore a window, the
>> equalizer in Winamp, scroll down a window are all causing this static.
>> Will moving the video card and the sound card to slot further apart
>> help? Now they are in 1 and 4 but I can move them to 1 and 6. The
>> video card is a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 and the sound card is a Sound
>> Blaster Live. I didn't have this problem on my old 98SE machine but
>> the cards were different this is driving me crazy.
>>
>> Marc
>>

> Is your system grounded properly?
>
> --
> Your mother was a dim-witted compulsive liar who danced naked in
> graveyards.

Synapse Syndrome

"Marc" <mcnr@(_N_O_S_P_A_M_)mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:vS2Hg.726$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> Thanks I change the BIOS and everything is working great.

That's good. But what do you mean? What settings did you change?

ss.