Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Does adding secondary hard drives affect XP activation?

Does adding secondary hard drives affect XP activation?

ss6nn1@googlemail.com

Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

--Alias--

> Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
> but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
> and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

Not unless you plan to install the same copy of XP on one or both of
them. If they are only going to be used for storage, you can add as many
as your computer can handle, move them to another computer, etc. WPA
only keeps track of the Master hard drive where XP is installed.

Alias

Don Burnette

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
> but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
> and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

Shouldn't, but since your doing both so closely together, why not go ahead
and install XP, and just hold off
on activating it until you get your secondary drives installed?

Don Burnette

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
>but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
>and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

Changing three pieces of hardware requires a reactivation (the cpu
counts as two) there are exceptions.

As mention'd stick the HD in first then install XP, you start with
three hardware changes still available.
http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt

--
http://tinyurl.com/gso3c

steve@tropheus.demon.co.uk

On 21 Aug 2006 10:54:59 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
>but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
>and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

It didn't for me.

http://www.easynn.com

Toolman Tim

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate
> it but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives
> delivered and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP
> activation?

Shouldn't - I swap data drives in and out of my system regularly.
Specifically, when someone brings me a drive with the OS so buggered it
won't run, I plug it into my system, backup the data, then pull it out and
return it to the original system. I do that as often as several times a
month.

Margolotta

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:18:18 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
>> but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
>> and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

> Changing three pieces of hardware requires a reactivation (the cpu
> counts as two) there are exceptions.
>
> As mention'd stick the HD in first then install XP, you start with
> three hardware changes still available.
> http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt

Er, no, the CPU does NOT count as two - a NIC does.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Margolotta <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:18:18 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) wrote
>(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate it
>>> but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives delivered
>>> and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP activation?

>> Changing three pieces of hardware requires a reactivation (the cpu
>> counts as two) there are exceptions.
>>
>> As mention'd stick the HD in first then install XP, you start with
>> three hardware changes still available.
>> http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt
>>

>Er, no, the CPU does NOT count as two - a NIC does.

Cpu counts as two, the Prescott chip caused concerns that it would
count as four.

--
http://tinyurl.com/gso3c

Rod Speed

Toolman Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate
>> it but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives
>> delivered and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP
>> activation?

> Shouldn't - I swap data drives in and out of my system regularly.
> Specifically, when someone brings me a drive with the OS so buggered
> it won't run, I plug it into my system, backup the data, then pull it
> out and return it to the original system. I do that as often as
> several times a month.

Its easier to image it over the lan using True Image
booted from CD on the buggered system.

David Matthew Wood

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Toolman Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> Tommorow I'll get XP delivered and intend to install it and activate
> >> it but on Wednesday I'll get two secondary storage hard drives
> >> delivered and intend to install them, will adding them affect the XP
> >> activation?

> > Shouldn't - I swap data drives in and out of my system regularly.
> > Specifically, when someone brings me a drive with the OS so buggered
> > it won't run, I plug it into my system, backup the data, then pull it
> > out and return it to the original system. I do that as often as
> > several times a month.

> Its easier to image it over the lan using True Image
> booted from CD on the buggered system.

That of course is assuming that said PC has a network card in it (which
surprisingly, some still don't), the PC is otherwise working, and you
have the time to wait for a transfer over a network connection - knowing
that it will also bog down the network.