Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > usb hub

usb hub

john marsden

can i run a second usb hub from my first hub on my lap top?
thank you,
john marsden.

Pete

"john marsden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mTbGg.20483$(E-Mail Removed)...
> can i run a second usb hub from my first hub on my lap top?
> thank you,
> john marsden.

yes, but it's best to have one that is powered by a mains adapter.

Evan Platt

rOn Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:14:28 +0100, "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>yes, but it's best to have one that is powered by a mains adapter.

Ummm why?

Of the 4 I have, none require AC power.

Toolman Tim

Evan Platt wrote:
> rOn Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:14:28 +0100, "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> yes, but it's best to have one that is powered by a mains adapter.

> Ummm why?
>
> Of the 4 I have, none require AC power.

It would depend entirely on the devices plugged into the hub. If they draw
more current than the hub(s) can provide, like my external hard drive does,
then a powered hub is the best solution. If someone daisy-chains several
hubs, each hub also taps into the available current, and at some point,
there just won't be enough.

Plato

Toolman Tim wrote:

> >> yes, but it's best to have one that is powered by a mains adapter.

> > Ummm why?
> >
> > Of the 4 I have, none require AC power.

> It would depend entirely on the devices plugged into the hub. If they draw
> more current than the hub(s) can provide, like my external hard drive does,
> then a powered hub is the best solution. If someone daisy-chains several
> hubs, each hub also taps into the available current, and at some point,
> there just won't be enough.

True. Some devices may not even work in plugged into single, non-powered
hub.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/