Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Mobile 5.0 Networking Questions

Windows Mobile 5.0 Networking Questions

s-y-n-e-r-g-y@hotmail.com

I got a UTStarCom 6700 pocket PC today w/ WM5.0

Question... can this thing "network" with other computers? IE: I have
it on my wireless router with my other two WinXP computers, can I
exchange files and access my WinXP shares from WM5.0 via the LAN?

Does WM5.0 even have "network file sharing" ?

TIA082006

s-y-n-e-r-g-y@hotmail.com

> I got a UTStarCom 6700 pocket PC today w/ WM5.0
>
> Question... can this thing "network" with other computers? IE: I have
> it on my wireless router with my other two WinXP computers, can I
> exchange files and access my WinXP shares from WM5.0 via the LAN?
>
> Does WM5.0 even have "network file sharing" ?
>
> TIA082006

After much digging around, I've solved my own problem:

Yes you can connect WM5.0 to a WinXP machine:

Go to file manager, hit Menu, hit Open Path and type in the name of the
network resource ie //computer1

s-y-n-e-r-g-y@hotmail.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I got a UTStarCom 6700 pocket PC today w/ WM5.0
> >
> > Question... can this thing "network" with other computers? IE: I have
> > it on my wireless router with my other two WinXP computers, can I
> > exchange files and access my WinXP shares from WM5.0 via the LAN?
> >
> > Does WM5.0 even have "network file sharing" ?
> >
> > TIA082006

> After much digging around, I've solved my own problem:
>
> Yes you can connect WM5.0 to a WinXP machine:
>
> Go to file manager, hit Menu, hit Open Path and type in the name of the
> network resource ie //computer1

ps - this thing is soooo cool ...

Two thumbs up for the UTSTARCOM 6700 POCKET PC !

This thing destroys the competition. It puts the Motorola Q to shame.

Scooby

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> > I got a UTStarCom 6700 pocket PC today w/ WM5.0
>> >
>> > Question... can this thing "network" with other computers? IE: I have
>> > it on my wireless router with my other two WinXP computers, can I
>> > exchange files and access my WinXP shares from WM5.0 via the LAN?
>> >
>> > Does WM5.0 even have "network file sharing" ?
>> >
>> > TIA082006

>> After much digging around, I've solved my own problem:
>>
>> Yes you can connect WM5.0 to a WinXP machine:
>>
>> Go to file manager, hit Menu, hit Open Path and type in the name of the
>> network resource ie //computer1

> ps - this thing is soooo cool ...
>
> Two thumbs up for the UTSTARCOM 6700 POCKET PC !
>
> This thing destroys the competition. It puts the Motorola Q to shame.

How's the battery life? WM5 is not known for exceptional battery life and
I've heard that is pretty true with the Q. I just haven't heard anything
back on the UTSTARCOM.

Also, try Resco file explorer. You can download a trial from Handango or
Pocketgear. I've got a registered version and love it. Great file explorer
and does a good job with network shares. Also, it comes with a registry
editor.

Jim

s-y-n-e-r-g-y@hotmail.com

> How's the battery life? WM5 is not known for exceptional battery life and
> I've heard that is pretty true with the Q. I just haven't heard anything
> back on the UTSTARCOM.

Its still pretty early, but so far it is much better then I expected, I
had heard similar things... but I played around with it for over 4
hours last night without a problem, heavy usage, watching movies,
browsing the web, using the WiFi, etc.