Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Coal Bin Door Question

Coal Bin Door Question

philo

<snip>

> Mine had a coal bin too, after the owners swiched to coal from wood.
> Since house built at that time may not have had a basement, but only a
> crawlspace, they of course hand to hand dig the bin. Now the old bin
> houses the hot air furnace and water heater. Can still finds bits of
> coal around.

My house had been converted to oil heat...and then natural gas.

The last coal company in town shut down about 15 (or so) years ago.

One of the companies (Hometown Ice & Coal) still does a real nice ice
business!

Whiskers

On 2006-08-21, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Harry wrote:
>> ?Hello,
>> How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
>> shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?
>> If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
>> when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
>> and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?

For some reason your article hasn't made it as far as me, so I've replied
to a reply.

> I have actually seen a working coal bin in a house that used coal.
> Check out a bird feeder. Same principle. The bin I saw had a 1/4" plate
> steel 'tongue' welded to the bin at the base, and at roughly a 30degree
> angle with full sides. The hole in the bin was about 3/4 up the sides.
> The 'ramp' part was about 30" square; the hole was roughly 24" high.
> Hope that helps.

I grew up with coal fires. All the coal-bins or coal-cupboards I've
used, had a small opening at floor level, just large enough to get the
shovel through. Above that the structure was either solid (if the top was
accessible by a lid), or was filled by stout planks set into grooves in
the brickwork so that they could be lifted out for access to the top of
the heap. (With that arrangement, if you are prepared to shovel coal off
the top of the heap you can do without the lower opening - but you might
then get a problem with damp accumulating inside the bin).

You'll need access to the top of the heap so that you can loosen the coal
when it gets stuck; it's inclined to form a sort of cave around the
opening.

Your bin is tall enough for the removable-plank arrangement to be useful,
so that when the bin is getting towards empty you can get inside to reach
the corners and check for any repairs that may be needed.

The opening should have some sort of door; a piece of wood or metal
sliding in vertical grooves is usually enough - one bin that worked well
simply had one concrete block left out of the bottom row of the structure,
and the opening was closed adequately by a block that was lifted or
dragged into position. The coal itself will flow through the opening
until it gets jammed, which is a perfectly adequate means of closing the
opening if you don't mind the mess - the flow is to some extent
self-limiting, rather like the seed-hoppers used for feeding caged birds.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Plato

Whiskers wrote:

> I grew up with coal fires. All the coal-bins or coal-cupboards I've

All I remember about coal heat is my grandfather cursing in the middle
of the night when he had to feed the stove.

Plato

philo wrote:

> One of the companies (Hometown Ice & Coal) still does a real nice ice
> business!

Home cooling the old fashioned way. ie lemonade and ice

Whiskers

On 2006-08-23, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
>>
>> I grew up with coal fires. All the coal-bins or coal-cupboards I've

> All I remember about coal heat is my grandfather cursing in the middle
> of the night when he had to feed the stove.

That's just bad planning, or the wrong sort of stove. The big problems
with coal, are pollution, dirt, and hard work.

--
-- Whiskers