Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Coal Bin Door Question

Coal Bin Door Question

Harry

Hello,
How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?
If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?

philo

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
Hello,
How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?
If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?

My house was built in 1898 and actually had a coal bin...
I think the trick was to not fill it all the way full.

Never heard of anyone who still uses cola though!

Jerry G.

Have you tried calling your supplier for the coal? I am sure that they
would have the proper solution for you.

--

Jerry G.

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
Hello,
How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?
If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?

Fred

"Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
Hello,
How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?
If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?

Build a small door that opens by sliding upwards, just wide enough for your
shovel.

Jimmy Dean

On 20 Aug 2006 14:18:57 -0700, "Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>?Hello,
>How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
>shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?
>If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
>when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
>and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?

Most coal bins hide a troll. Get him/her to build it for you.

jd

The Old Sourdough

philo mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

snip

> Never heard of anyone who still uses cola though!

I prefer BEER!!11!!

--
The Old Sourdough
I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was

philo

"The Old Sourdough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns98264BCE5DA491258ggbeerisgood@216.196.97.1 31...
> philo mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
> snip
> >
> > Never heard of anyone who still uses cola though!
> >

> I prefer BEER!!11!!

oops another typo...
a coffee drinker here.

BTW: though this house has not used coal in well over 50 years...
\i still find some "slag" out in the yard from time to time...
when i first moved in here...there was a piece of anthracite off in a
corner...
and the coal shovel was still in the basement too

thegremlin@bledsoe.net

Harry wrote:
> Hello,
> How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
> shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?
> If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
> when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
> and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?

I have actually seen a working coal bin in a house that used coal.
Check out a bird feeder. Same principle. The bin I saw had a 1/4" plate
steel 'tongue' welded to the bin at the base, and at roughly a 30degree
angle with full sides. The hole in the bin was about 3/4 up the sides.
The 'ramp' part was about 30" square; the hole was roughly 24" high.
Hope that helps.

Plato

Harry wrote:

> How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
> shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?

A small door near the bottom of the bin. The small door should be part
of the larger door which you use when the suppy goes down too low to
flow through the small door.

> If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
> when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
> and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

philo wrote:

> How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
> shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?
> If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
> when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
> and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?
>
> My house was built in 1898 and actually had a coal bin...
> I think the trick was to not fill it all the way full.

Mine had a coal bin too, after the owners swiched to coal from wood.
Since house built at that time may not have had a basement, but only a
crawlspace, they of course hand to hand dig the bin. Now the old bin
houses the hot air furnace and water heater. Can still finds bits of
coal around.