Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > 70-290

70-290

Emil

I'm on the 2003 track, and I just passed 70-210 a couple
of weeks ago. It covered a broad range of topics, which I
worked 1 1/2 years to master by reading all of the mcse
books (based on 2000). At this point I though I was
prepared to pass all of the exams, since I know all the
topics to very good detail. However, when I took the 70-
290 exam a week later, I did not pass. I missed it by
about 3 questions. I was very surprised at the level of
difficulty for this exam. My question is am I another
year away from passing this exam? I didn't take any
classes, I learned it all on my own using books. But what
is really frustrating is when you think you've learned
everything there is to know, finally, and then the exam
asks high-cognitive questions, requiring a ton of reading
per question, a minute amount of time to answer, and
obscure questions that I have never dwelved into and don't
think I ever will need use of in a live environment.

Plain Jane@nospam.com

The answer is simple! You took the wrong exam! You
prepare for Windows 2000 for 1 1/2 years but took the
Windows 2003 exams(70-290)! New information, new
software and some environment. You are better off take
the 70-218 instead of 70-290. Many Windows 2000 MCSE
still need to pass 70-292 and 70-296 to be certified in
Windows 2003. So it is not easy!

Better luck next time!

Don't You Wish

Have you bothered trying to learn the product?

"Emil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:005f01c3a6ec$38ca4aa0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm on the 2003 track, and I just passed 70-210 a couple
> of weeks ago. It covered a broad range of topics, which I
> worked 1 1/2 years to master by reading all of the mcse
> books (based on 2000). At this point I though I was
> prepared to pass all of the exams, since I know all the
> topics to very good detail. However, when I took the 70-
> 290 exam a week later, I did not pass. I missed it by
> about 3 questions. I was very surprised at the level of
> difficulty for this exam. My question is am I another
> year away from passing this exam? I didn't take any
> classes, I learned it all on my own using books. But what
> is really frustrating is when you think you've learned
> everything there is to know, finally, and then the exam
> asks high-cognitive questions, requiring a ton of reading
> per question, a minute amount of time to answer, and
> obscure questions that I have never dwelved into and don't
> think I ever will need use of in a live environment.

sean

you need to learn first hand not by learning from a book
get your own mini network setup. some of the new win2003
server books come with an trail copy of the server

Emil

Yes, I agree with that wholeheartedly. Yes I have always
had a peer to peer network, simulating a live
environment. But I think your answer goes deeper than
that... the test questions are based on live on-the-job
questions, such as user errors that aren't typically
replicated on my personal network. Those are the
questions I got wrong, and that is why a Jr. Engineer
position would be suitable (if there was a job out there,
that is).