Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows 98 SE update

Windows 98 SE update

springpure@aol.com

I know that windows 98 SE is no longer supported by Microsoft. But
since before that ended Microsoft has notified me that I must download
critical updates. Every time I try to access the download, I get a
screen that says something like "You need administrator privileges" No
matter what I try. I cannot get in. Any suggestions?

Douglas C. Neidermeyer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I know that windows 98 SE is no longer supported by Microsoft. But
> since before that ended Microsoft has notified me that I must download
> critical updates. Every time I try to access the download, I get a
> screen that says something like "You need administrator privileges" No
> matter what I try. I cannot get in. Any suggestions?

Are you sure you're logged in as an administrator?

Ron Martell

>I know that windows 98 SE is no longer supported by Microsoft. But
>since before that ended Microsoft has notified me that I must download
>critical updates. Every time I try to access the download, I get a
>screen that says something like "You need administrator privileges" No
>matter what I try. I cannot get in. Any suggestions?

There is not such thing as "administrator privileges" in Windows 98.

What firewall/antivirus/antispyware software are you running?

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Plato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I know that windows 98 SE is no longer supported by Microsoft. But

You may want to tell MS tech support that they are in error, as many of
my links point to MS win95/98 support pages.

> since before that ended Microsoft has notified me that I must download
> critical updates. Every time I try to access the download, I get a
> screen that says something like "You need administrator privileges" No
> matter what I try. I cannot get in. Any suggestions?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

thanatoid

Plato <|@|.|> wrote in
news:44e7deee$0$472$(E-Mail Removed):

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> I know that windows 98 SE is no longer supported by
>> Microsoft. But

> You may want to tell MS tech support that they are in
> error, as many of my links point to MS win95/98 support
> pages.

You should be a comedian.

thanatoid

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I know that windows 98 SE is no longer supported by
> Microsoft. But since before that ended Microsoft has
> notified me that I must download critical updates. Every
> time I try to access the download, I get a screen that says
> something like "You need administrator privileges" No
> matter what I try. I cannot get in. Any suggestions?

I seem to recall answering the exact same question about a week
ago.
If it WAS you, why didn't you listen the first time? If not,
"never mind".

1. There are NO administrators in 98SE.

2. You don't NEED any updates, that's the beauty of using a
well-field-tested system (it takes about 5 years with a
Microsoft OS you know). People who will buy Vista (aside from
those trapped in corporate) are insane.

3. 2 is true if you don't use IE/OE (which needless to say you
shouldn't), and have a nice firewall. I suggest the free Agnitum
Outpost ver 1.0.242, it's 5 years old (works perfectly well,
again, no need for any updates) and some basic non-resource
hogging anti-virus which doesn't necessarily needs to run all
the time depending on just how messy your surfing habits are.

Regards
t.

Toolman Tim

thanatoid wrote:
> Plato <|@|.|> wrote in
> news:44e7deee$0$472$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>
>>> I know that windows 98 SE is no longer supported by
>>> Microsoft. But

>> You may want to tell MS tech support that they are in
>> error, as many of my links point to MS win95/98 support
>> pages.

> You should be a comedian.

So you've been reading Plato's drivel again, eh? <g>

"Margolotta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s-media.phx...
> On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 22:32:21 +0100, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote
> (in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

<jackass snipe snipped>

With every post you make you keep proving what a complete assWHOLE you are.
Amusing in a sadly pathetic way.