Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > System not displaying correct amount of RAM

System not displaying correct amount of RAM

Shwetabh

Hi,
I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This
motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I
tries to put it in both the slots but still it shows me 128 MBs. I
tried to put it in combination with my old 64 MB RAM and I get a total
of 192 MBs. I took the module to the vendor from whom I bought it, but
when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.

How can I get the complete 256 MB?

Thanks

why?

On 19 Aug 2006 11:18:51 -0700, Shwetabh wrote:

>Hi,
>I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This

www.google.com , some likely keywords to try

http://www.google.com/search?q=intel...+configuration

The model make / model, memory types supported are?

http://www.memoryx.net/pc6-11198.html

>motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
>SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
>I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
>on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I
>tries to put it in both the slots but still it shows me 128 MBs. I

Oh wow an incompatiable module for the type of motherboard you have.

Also notice your comment - two 64MB , it's a pair.

>tried to put it in combination with my old 64 MB RAM and I get a total
>of 192 MBs. I took the module to the vendor from whom I bought it, but

Ah the old banks / per side / socket issue.

>when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.

The type of machine was? Bet you he didn't take it back as it works
, swap it for 2 x 128 or any other help?

>How can I get the complete 256 MB?

The drawback of posting from Google, no ISP or country info, so take a
hint.

http://www.crucial.com/
http://www.crucial.com/uk/

follow the memory selection guide / run the system scanner.
Once you have the part information / memory specs you should be able to
look for a good price deal.

Also see ,
http://www.orcalogic-kingston.co.uk/

>Thanks

Me

Ron Martell

"Shwetabh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This
>motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
>SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
>I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
>on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I
>tries to put it in both the slots but still it shows me 128 MBs. I
>tried to put it in combination with my old 64 MB RAM and I get a total
>of 192 MBs. I took the module to the vendor from whom I bought it, but
>when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.
>
>How can I get the complete 256 MB?
>
>Thanks

Many motherboards from that era only supported RAM modules of 128 mb
maximum. Check the documentation for your specific motherboard model
or post the make, model, and revision number of the motherboard back
here.

Also your new 256 mb is likely to be PC133 high density (single sided)
SDRAM. In many boards designed for PC100 SDRAM these high density
modules are only recognized as half of their capacity, which is what
your system is doing. In that circumstance the solution is to replace
the 256 mb module with either a low density (double sided) PC133
module or with a PC100 module.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Shwetabh

why? wrote:
> On 19 Aug 2006 11:18:51 -0700, Shwetabh wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This

> www.google.com , some likely keywords to try
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=intel...+configuration
>
> The model make / model, memory types supported are?
>
> http://www.memoryx.net/pc6-11198.html
>
> >motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
> >SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
> >I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
> >on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I
> >tries to put it in both the slots but still it shows me 128 MBs. I

> Oh wow an incompatiable module for the type of motherboard you have.
>
> Also notice your comment - two 64MB , it's a pair.
>
> >tried to put it in combination with my old 64 MB RAM and I get a total
> >of 192 MBs. I took the module to the vendor from whom I bought it, but

> Ah the old banks / per side / socket issue.
>
> >when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.

> The type of machine was? Bet you he didn't take it back as it works
> , swap it for 2 x 128 or any other help?
>
> >How can I get the complete 256 MB?

> The drawback of posting from Google, no ISP or country info, so take a
> hint.
>
> http://www.crucial.com/
> http://www.crucial.com/uk/
>
> follow the memory selection guide / run the system scanner.
> Once you have the part information / memory specs you should be able to
> look for a good price deal.
>
> Also see ,
> http://www.orcalogic-kingston.co.uk/
>
> >Thanks

> Me

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I had earlier bought a 256 MB PC 133 RAM
Module and on inserting it in the RAM slot, it was detected by the
system as 256 MB. But since it was causing system crashes, I got it
replaced with the current module which is showing 128 MB. My mobo model
number is i810-NS363 if it helps. What should I do to get the full RAM?
Do u think it would be helpful to get another 256 MB module and put
them in pair to get 256+256?

Thanks

Plato

Shwetabh wrote:

> I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This
> motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
> SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
> I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
> on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I

Your motherboard may only support 128 sticks/slot. Check your
motherboard specs.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

why?

On 19 Aug 2006 21:00:59 -0700, Shwetabh wrote:

>why? wrote:
>> On 19 Aug 2006 11:18:51 -0700, Shwetabh wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This

<snip>

>> >motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
>> >SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
>> >I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
>> >on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I
>> >tries to put it in both the slots but still it shows me 128 MBs. I

<snip>

>> Ah the old banks / per side / socket issue.

>> >when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.

>> The type of machine was? Bet you he didn't take it back as it works
>> , swap it for 2 x 128 or any other help?

<snip>

>> http://www.crucial.com/
>> http://www.crucial.com/uk/

<snip>

>> >Thanks

>> Me

Bottom posting with no snipping is worse when basic information needed
the 1st time is now provided

>Hi,
>Thanks for the quick reply. I had earlier bought a 256 MB PC 133 RAM
>Module and on inserting it in the RAM slot, it was detected by the
>system as 256 MB. But since it was causing system crashes, I got it

So that was on it's own or with 1 of the 64MB modules?

>replaced with the current module which is showing 128 MB. My mobo model
>number is i810-NS363 if it helps. What should I do to get the full RAM?

It may if it was the only time that chipset is used, but I can't see any
other identifying marks on the mobo -

SG-810BAT3 11/15/2000-i810-NS363-6A69MV39C-00 i810 ICW W195BH
clockgen

SG-810MATX3 11/15/2000-i810-NS363-6A69MV39C-00 i810 4MB ICW W195BH
clockgen

SG-810MATX3 09/01/2001-i810-NS363-6A69MV3FC-00 i810 2MB ICW W195BH
clockgen

SG-810AD 11/15/2000-i810-NS363-6A69MV39C-00 i810 ICW W195BH
clockgen

So maybe it's a Super Grace mobo?

http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/sg/SG-810BAT3.htm

Now there's a thing, what do I suggest you do...... maybe try the
Crucial Memory scanner utility mentioned earlier.

>Do u think it would be helpful to get another 256 MB module and put
>them in pair to get 256+256?

Not until -

you try a memory scanner / Crucial / Kingston memory selection giudes.

check the mobo manual.

>Thanks

Me

Jerry Attic

Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Shwetabh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This
>>motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
>>SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
>>I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
>>on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I
>>tries to put it in both the slots but still it shows me 128 MBs. I
>>tried to put it in combination with my old 64 MB RAM and I get a total
>>of 192 MBs. I took the module to the vendor from whom I bought it, but
>>when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.
>>
>>How can I get the complete 256 MB?
>>
>>Thanks

> Many motherboards from that era only supported RAM modules of 128 mb
> maximum. Check the documentation for your specific motherboard model
> or post the make, model, and revision number of the motherboard back
> here.
>
> Also your new 256 mb is likely to be PC133 high density (single sided)
> SDRAM. In many boards designed for PC100 SDRAM these high density
> modules are only recognized as half of their capacity, which is what
> your system is doing. In that circumstance the solution is to replace
> the 256 mb module with either a low density (double sided) PC133
> module or with a PC100 module.

Or maybe, just maybe, that old P III only recognizes low desnity PC 133
RAM. The high density stuff will oinly show up as 128 megs and is *not*
backward compatible with PC100.

Neener

Jerry

Shwetabh

I checked with the vendor who says that my motherboard supports Double
Density RAMs. It is being detected as 256 MBs on Everest, but not by
the system. Infact, the system has stopped detecting the RAM completely
now I am at a loss about what I should do about it.
Earlier when I had bought the PC, there was a single PC100 64 MB RAM
module.
Later I got myself another 64 MB RAM module, this time a PC133. They
worked well for quite a long time and even do so today, but I decided
to increase the RAM to 256+64=320 MB. BTW, both the 64 MB RAMs are
DIMM.
Yesterday, the PC stopped detecting the 256 MB module altogether. I
tried to put it in both slots but it still woouldnt be detected.
Finally I had to plug in the old trusted 64+64 MB modules.
Please let me know of the technical info needed to resolve this problem
and I shall try my best to get it.

Regards
Jerry Attic wrote:
> Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > "Shwetabh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This
> >>motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
> >>SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
> >>I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
> >>on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I
> >>tries to put it in both the slots but still it shows me 128 MBs. I
> >>tried to put it in combination with my old 64 MB RAM and I get a total
> >>of 192 MBs. I took the module to the vendor from whom I bought it, but
> >>when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.
> >>
> >>How can I get the complete 256 MB?
> >>
> >>Thanks

> > Many motherboards from that era only supported RAM modules of 128 mb
> > maximum. Check the documentation for your specific motherboard model
> > or post the make, model, and revision number of the motherboard back
> > here.
> >
> > Also your new 256 mb is likely to be PC133 high density (single sided)
> > SDRAM. In many boards designed for PC100 SDRAM these high density
> > modules are only recognized as half of their capacity, which is what
> > your system is doing. In that circumstance the solution is to replace
> > the 256 mb module with either a low density (double sided) PC133
> > module or with a PC100 module.

> Or maybe, just maybe, that old P III only recognizes low desnity PC 133
> RAM. The high density stuff will oinly show up as 128 megs and is *not*
> backward compatible with PC100.
>
> Neener
>
> Jerry

Shwetabh

I checked the specs... it supports 256 MB sticks/slot.
Plato wrote:
> Shwetabh wrote:
> >
> > I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This
> > motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
> > SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
> > I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
> > on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I

> Your motherboard may only support 128 sticks/slot. Check your
> motherboard specs.
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

Shwetabh

why? wrote:
> On 19 Aug 2006 11:18:51 -0700, Shwetabh wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This

> www.google.com , some likely keywords to try
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=intel...+configuration
>
> The model make / model, memory types supported are?
>
> http://www.memoryx.net/pc6-11198.html
>
> >motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
> >SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
> >I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
> >on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I
> >tries to put it in both the slots but still it shows me 128 MBs. I

> Oh wow an incompatiable module for the type of motherboard you have.
>
> Also notice your comment - two 64MB , it's a pair.

Well, it's a pair now but when I bought it 6 years back, it had a
single PC 100 64 MB stick.

> >tried to put it in combination with my old 64 MB RAM and I get a total
> >of 192 MBs. I took the module to the vendor from whom I bought it, but

> Ah the old banks / per side / socket issue.
>
> >when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.

> The type of machine was? Bet you he didn't take it back as it works
> , swap it for 2 x 128 or any other help?

His machine was a pretty banged up PIII but his mobo had 3 RAM slots.
Also, the RAM I bought was a replacement for a defective 256 MB module
which was detected properly by the system as 256 MB. So I doubt that I
should put 2 x 128 MB for 256 MB.

> >How can I get the complete 256 MB?

> The drawback of posting from Google, no ISP or country info, so take a
> hint.
>
> http://www.crucial.com/
> http://www.crucial.com/uk/
>
> follow the memory selection guide / run the system scanner.
> Once you have the part information / memory specs you should be able to
> look for a good price deal.
>
> Also see ,
> http://www.orcalogic-kingston.co.uk/
>
> >Thanks

> Me

available ram for 32bit single app in 64 bit OS with huge amount of ram ZF Windows 64bit 27 01-18-2009 11:37 PM
XP64 reports wrong amount of RAM =?Utf-8?B?TWlrYWxlbGU=?= Windows 64bit 9 10-24-2005 12:29 AM
correct or not correct? Dan HTML 7 10-02-2003 10:16 PM
Amount of RAM Me-GT Computer Support 11 07-16-2003 01:38 AM
Re: Amount of RAM TJ Robertson Computer Support 0 07-15-2003 04:50 PM

Advertisments