Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Home wireless network with vonage

Home wireless network with vonage

DIGS

Have a problem with a close friend or soon to be X with their wireless home
network with vonage and basic home net working file sharing not working. I
have done allot of basic trouble shooting (that I know of unless I missed
something) But with this set up I am having really problems and would like
to get the laptop back to the default for the wireless to work again secure
or not secure.

2 Pc 1 laptop, 1 desk top, Both XP home addition.

- Cable line in,
- Roadrunner Modem ,
- To Vonage box, (2 lines from Vonage 1 going to PC the other going to
router)
- Netgear wgr614 ver 4 Wireless router (The Netgear router was not locked
down and was getting to the internet without any problems)
- Desk top PC Desk top (plugged into the Vonage box with a IP address of
192.168.15.? and is not able to get to router)
- Laptop PC (getting to the internet with very minimal problems and
sometimes dropping but not much this was due to some locations in the house)

Secured the Netgear router WEP Security Encryption. (Used Manual)
Network switched around as well

- Cable line in,
- Roadrunner Modem ,
- To Vonage
- To Netgear wgr614 ver 4 Wireless router.
- Line to Desk top PC Desk top PC
- Laptop PC set up fine

After securing the Netgear wireless router correctly via the manual, the
network icon notification on the bottom right has a red X and states that it
is off line. Their is another icon for the HP wireless is connected. You
are still able to get to the internet and then keeps bumping off and then
you cant tell if it is signed back in till you keep reloading a page.

You do the repair and It will not connect

Something is apparently wrong and the router was set back to the default
settings. The same thing is still happening. The laptop WEP network key is
not listed and is open on the laptop. All settings are set back to the
original settings.

Is there a certain set up or some way to get this working without any
problems. Any help can would be great.

Is this type of router causing a problem or known issues.

Should a new router be used such as

File Sharing:
PC is set up with windows set up wizard for a workgroup on 2 pc and file
sharing is not working prior to any of the above stated. The laptop is not
seeing the desktop shared folders nor is the desktop seeing the laptop
shared folders. File and print sharing is turned on and was not an issue
prior to 4 months ago when vonage was added in. (Maybe) Not able to get to
by router IP address either (Example \\192.168.0.2 or desktop IP
\\192.168.0.3)

what would happen if I went to system restore and tried to go to an earlier
day and reset it. Would that work???

Any suggestions or help will be useful as research and trouble shooting has
been done for several days.

Banned Apache

DIGS <(E-Mail Removed)>, the elderly-drifter and throwaway bufty-boy
who likes hideous one-stick drum improvisation with warthogs, and whose
partner is a bimbo with a dirty fuzzy cup, wrote in
<TOrFg.38547$(E-Mail Removed)>:
> [...]
> problems. Any help can would be great.
>
> Is this type of router causing a problem or known issues.
>
> Should a new router be used such as
>
> File Sharing:
> PC is set up with windows set up wizard for a workgroup on 2 pc and
> file sharing is not working prior to any of the above stated. The
> laptop is not seeing the desktop shared folders nor is the desktop
> seeing the laptop shared folders. File and print sharing is turned
> on and was not an issue prior to 4 months ago when vonage was added
> in. (Maybe) Not able to get to by router IP address either (Example
> \\192.168.0.2 or desktop IP \\192.168.0.3)
>
> what would happen if I went to system restore and tried to go to an
> earlier day and reset it. Would that work???
>
> Any suggestions or help will be useful as research and trouble
> shooting has been done for several days.

Have somebody who can write in legible English post for you.
Your inability to convey what you mean is likely to waste much more of your
time as well as the time of whichever stupid **** tries to help you based on
whatever it was you tried to post above.

HTH

--
Lunch was nice;
Beastly used cat litter chips and gorilla bowel seasoning accentuated by

DIGS

thanks

"Banned Apache" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message
> [...]
>> earlier day and reset it. Would that work???
>>
>> Any suggestions or help will be useful as research and trouble
>> shooting has been done for several days.

> Have somebody who can write in legible English post for you.
> Your inability to convey what you mean is likely to waste much more of
> your
> time as well as the time of whichever stupid **** tries to help you based
> on
> whatever it was you tried to post above.
>
> HTH
>

> --
> Lunch was nice;
> Beastly used cat litter chips and gorilla bowel seasoning accentuated by
> buggered reindeer nerve, cooked in a bubbling tureen containing spicy
> scraps of cucumber, lamb and lung in odoriferous dressing, a side of
> shrimp and a chalice of emulsified sweat and grease from the chef's

Walter Mautner

DIGS enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users with:

> thanks
>
> "Banned Apache" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message

Not to be rude, but who ever around the world should know what "vonage"
means?
_Please_ do not do the TOFU in newsgroups (TOp Post FUll reply). You are
expected to write your comments in the order they will be read, not the
other way round.

Now just a wild guess: you have two network devices both trying to serve
DHCP, with class C subnets of different 3rd byte. Depending upon which
one answers first.

DIGS

Thanks Walter Yes 2 network devices on 1 network with 2 different IP address
1 for one router and one for the other.

Also I had re-written to take care of 2 different problems since I was not
able to send across the correct information 2 much is not good I guess

Also the laptop is back up and the router needed to get reset

"Walter Mautner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DIGS enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users with:
>
>> thanks
>>
>> "Banned Apache" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote in message

> Not to be rude, but who ever around the world should know what "vonage"
> means?
> _Please_ do not do the TOFU in newsgroups (TOp Post FUll reply). You are
> expected to write your comments in the order they will be read, not the
> other way round.
>
> Now just a wild guess: you have two network devices both trying to serve
> DHCP, with class C subnets of different 3rd byte. Depending upon which
> one answers first.
> --
> vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
> on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
> incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
> Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Walter Mautner

DIGS enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users with:

> Thanks Walter Yes 2 network devices on 1 network with 2 different IP
> address 1 for one router and one for the other.
>
> Also I had re-written to take care of 2 different problems since I was
> not able to send across the correct information 2 much is not good I
> guess
>
> Also the laptop is back up and the router needed to get reset

You should then set up the wireless router in "accesspoint" mode, by
turning off it's dhcp server and changing the admin interface to the
same subnet (remember with 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.0 networks,
different "x" means a different network) your main router has, but
reserve that address on the main router.
I cannot give more info since I don't know anything about that "vonage
box".