Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cannot download to Desktop, everything goes into My Documents

Cannot download to Desktop, everything goes into My Documents

Ed

Hi folks, I have windows XP home, Whenever I go to download anything
to the desktop, It isnt saved there. I can sometimes find the file in
My Documents..
Has anyone seen this particular problem before ?

Ed

John Morrison

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:34:09 GMT, Ed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi folks, I have windows XP home, Whenever I go to download anything
>to the desktop, It isnt saved there. I can sometimes find the file in
>My Documents..
>Has anyone seen this particular problem before ?

Which browser are you using?
--

John

Ed

Internet Explorer.

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:53:01 +1000, John Morrison
<the_morrisons@invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:34:09 GMT, Ed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi folks, I have windows XP home, Whenever I go to download anything
>>to the desktop, It isnt saved there. I can sometimes find the file in
>>My Documents..
>>Has anyone seen this particular problem before ?

>Which browser are you using?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ed wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:53:01 +1000, John Morrison
> <the_morrisons@invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:34:09 GMT, Ed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks, I have windows XP home, Whenever I go to download anything
>>> to the desktop, It isnt saved there. I can sometimes find the file
>>> in My Documents.. Has anyone seen this particular problem before ?

>> Which browser are you using?

> Internet Explorer.

Try Firefox or Opera. Both have better download managers than IE...

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Rich

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:34:09 GMT, Ed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi folks, I have windows XP home, Whenever I go to download anything
>to the desktop, It isnt saved there. I can sometimes find the file in
>My Documents..
>Has anyone seen this particular problem before ?
>

>Ed

ed, try this:

1. Open Windows Explorer
2. Then click [Tools] [Folder Options] [File Types]
3. Scroll down to locate the file type.
4. Highlight the file type (example :"PPT Microsoft PowerPoint
Presentation")
5. Click the "Advanced" button.
6. Enable the option "confirm open after download"

repeat as needed for the types of files you're downloading. zip, pdf,
exe, etc.

73,
rich, n9dko

source: <http://windowsxp.mvps.org/iefaq.htm#confirmopen>

John Morrison

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:18:26 GMT, Ed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:53:01 +1000, John Morrison
><the_morrisons@invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:34:09 GMT, Ed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi folks, I have windows XP home, Whenever I go to download anything
>>>to the desktop, It isnt saved there. I can sometimes find the file in
>>>My Documents..
>>>Has anyone seen this particular problem before ?

>>Which browser are you using?

>Internet Explorer.

I don't use Internet Explorer but apparently IE just uses the default
download folder ie: "My Documents" and I'm unaware that it can be
changed in Internet Explorer.
When you want to download something, click on save and a box should
open which gives you the opportunity to save to the Desktop or
elsewhere.
If you don't save to a particular folder each time downloads will just
go to My Documents.
Other browsers such as Opera, K-Meleon or Firefox allow you to specify
a different download folder.
--

John

Jimmy Dean

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:34:09 GMT, Ed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi folks, I have windows XP home, Whenever I go to download anything
>to the desktop, It isnt saved there. I can sometimes find the file in
>My Documents..
>Has anyone seen this particular problem before ?

Ed

I usually use Firefox, but when I download with IE6, I get offered a
dialogue which enables me to change the filename to save as and folder
to download to.

jd

Ed

It has nothing to do with the browser.
Apparently something has made a change to the registry.
you can pick desktop as the download destination but it will not be
there when the download is complete, At times it will go into My
Documents, Other times it is nowhere to be found.

Ed