Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Adobe Reader Help?

Reply
Thread Tools

Adobe Reader Help?

 
 
WeeWilly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2006
I have Adobe Reader 7.0.5 on my computer and have tried to upgrade it to the
latest version.

I get a message that says:
Patch could not be opened. Verify that the patch exists and that you can
access it or contact application vendor.

I have tried to delete the software by Microsoft process.. Control Panel |
Add or Delete Programs.

I get the same message.

In the Adobe Folder I have:
Adobe 6.0 and 7.0 as well as these files
AdbeRdr60_enu_full
{ac76ba86-0000-0000-7ac5-6028747ade00}
as well as Photoshop.

Can anyone clue me on a way to clean out Adobe Reader cleanly so I can start
over again?

Thanks, Bill


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:18:23 -0700, WeeWilly wrote:

>I have Adobe Reader 7.0.5 on my computer and have tried to upgrade it to the
>latest version.
>
>I get a message that says:
>Patch could not be opened. Verify that the patch exists and that you can
>access it or contact application vendor.


<snip>

>Can anyone clue me on a way to clean out Adobe Reader cleanly so I can start
>over again?


www.google.com , 1st hit for - remove adobe acrobat

Remove Adobe Reader 6.x (Windows XP and 2000) - Support
KnowledgebaseNote: If you use the Add Or Remove Programs utility and it
doesn't remove the Program Files\Acrobat 6.0\Reader folder, manually
remove Adobe Reader. ...
www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/327675.html - 26k - Cached - Similar
pages



>Thanks, Bill
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2006
why? wrote:

> www.google.com , 1st hit for - remove adobe acrobat


...and if all the OP is doing is reading .pdf files (it *is* just a
reader, after all), after uninstalling the old version, go get a free
replacement that is not a bloated product.

I'd recommend the FoxItReader; it is free. Been using it a long time.
The whole download is only about 1.2 MB.
http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer
 
Reply With Quote
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2006

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:09:21 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>why? wrote:
>
>> www.google.com , 1st hit for - remove adobe acrobat

>
>..and if all the OP is doing is reading .pdf files (it *is* just a
>reader, after all), after uninstalling the old version, go get a free
>replacement that is not a bloated product.


So true.

>I'd recommend the FoxItReader; it is free. Been using it a long time.
>The whole download is only about 1.2 MB.
>http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php


I have seen this mentioned a few times, looks like it's time for me to
change as well.

Thanks
Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
thanatoid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2006
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in
news:lbJEg.627485$(E-Mail Removed)
t:

> why? wrote:
>
>> www.google.com , 1st hit for - remove adobe acrobat

>
> ..and if all the OP is doing is reading .pdf files (it *is*
> just a reader, after all), after uninstalling the old
> version, go get a free replacement that is not a bloated
> product.
>
> I'd recommend the FoxItReader; it is free. Been using it a
> long time. The whole download is only about 1.2 MB.
> http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
>


AMEN.

IMO, Adobe and all their vastly-overrated and over-
priced products (and even most of the good ones they stole from
other companies after buying them out or driving them OOB) have
turned into an evil empire second only to MS.

I DO give them credit for PDF, it >WAS< a fantastic invention,
but FoxItReader does it MUCH better.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Margolotta
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2006
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 22:54:51 +0100, thanatoid wrote
(in article <Xns9821AC31FE1D5thanexit@66.250.146.158>):

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in
> news:lbJEg.627485$(E-Mail Removed)
> t:
>
>> why? wrote:
>>
>>> www.google.com , 1st hit for - remove adobe acrobat

>>
>> ..and if all the OP is doing is reading .pdf files (it *is*
>> just a reader, after all), after uninstalling the old
>> version, go get a free replacement that is not a bloated
>> product.
>>
>> I'd recommend the FoxItReader; it is free. Been using it a
>> long time. The whole download is only about 1.2 MB.
>> http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
>>

>
> AMEN.
>
> IMO, Adobe and all their vastly-overrated and over-
> priced products (and even most of the good ones they stole from
> other companies after buying them out or driving them OOB) have
> turned into an evil empire second only to MS.


Clarify. From whom did Adobe steal Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, GoLive!,
Acrobat and Image Ready? They didn't drive Macromedia out of business,
either; the take over was by mutual agreement.


>
> I DO give them credit for PDF, it >WAS< a fantastic invention,
> but FoxItReader does it MUCH better.



Does *WHAT* "so much better"? FoxItReader is a tool for reading what,
thanadroid? That's right Portable Document Format files; are you telling me
that they've revolutionised the file format as well? Better not let Adobe
hear about this, they'll sue.

Once again, thanadroid, you're spouting absolute garbage (as per usual).


 
Reply With Quote
 
thanatoid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2006
Margolotta <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) s-media.phx:

<SNIP>

>> IMO, Adobe and all their vastly-overrated and over-
>> priced products (and even most of the good ones they stole
>> from other companies after buying them out or driving them
>> OOB) have turned into an evil empire second only to MS.

>
> Clarify. From whom did Adobe steal Photoshop, Illustrator,
> InDesign, GoLive!, Acrobat and Image Ready? They didn't
> drive Macromedia out of business, either; the take over was
> by mutual agreement.


Right, "mutual agreement" with a company whose only remaining
serious product is (or was ) Director... Largely due to Adobe's
MS-like behavior and resulting market dominance.

I don't know the entire history of Adobe except that it was
setup (and possibly is still headed) by one of the geniuses from
PARC, so it especially bothers me that they do not have a very
clean record.

The killed Aldus and then they killed Photostyler (I think
that's what it was called) and then, albeit more slowly,
PageMaker. The ONLY reason ver. 7 was released 4 or so years
later is because Adobe never bothered to make any serious
improvements to the program let alone update some old 16 bit
code in the previous versions - so it would not run on XP, which
I guess caught them a little by surprise. Their main
"contribution", and most users would agree they should fry in
hell just for that, is changing almost all the PM keyboard
shortcuts so they would match Photoshop and Illustrator.

Macromedia Freehand and the Aldus version of the vector/freehand
drawing program (whose name escapes me) were widely considered
superior to Illustrator.

Acrobat/PDF is, AFAIK, entirely their invention and it is SUCH a
great format that it ALMOST makes up for their sins. Still,
those sins exist and can not be denied.

I am not familiar with the other Adobe products you mention
since I have been happily using PageMaker 6.52 and Micrografx
Picture Publisher, which had infinite undo and some other
crucial features years before Photoshop did. The only people who
really need Photoshop with its admittedly impressive pre-press
capabilities are those who people for major publishing firms,
yet everyone has it, even though it utterly beyond their
capacities. And the kind of work resulting largely from
Photoshop's artistically questionable effects and unquestionable
dominance are easy and superficially impressive results of what
I like to call the "Photoshop Disease". A few are great, some
are not bad, most are horrid, but all are cookie cutter crap.

And 95% of the plug-ins I have ever seen are ugly useless crap.

Micrografx is dead too, bought out by Corel, who appears to also
have bought out JASC, or at least Paint Shop Pro.
That's what you do when you can't make a decent product. I think
like 95% of Corel's current line of products were "acquired"
this way. I digress.

The last "acquisition" by Adobe that I know of was buying out
one of th best audio-editing programs, Cool Edit Pro, and
calling it "Audition". I wonder whether they changed all the
keyboard shortcuts to match Photoshop as well, and what other
horrors they have done to it.

>> I DO give them credit for PDF, it >WAS< a fantastic
>> invention, but FoxItReader does it MUCH better.

>
> Does *WHAT* "so much better"? FoxItReader is a tool for
> reading what, thanadroid? That's right Portable Document
> Format files; are you telling me that they've
> revolutionised the file format as well? Better not let
> Adobe hear about this, they'll sue.


It reads PDF documents just as well and is like 8 times smaller
and faster and has a more logical and easier interface.

> Once again, thanadroid, you're spouting absolute garbage
> (as per usual).


Takes one to know one doesn't it?

P.S. Since you seem to enjoy altering people's nyms, may I
suggest you remove one of the d's from your version of mine and
you can chuckle as you compare me to a hemorrhoid. It's occurred
to others, but apparently not to you.
 
Reply With Quote
 
WeeWilly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2006
Thanks, BTS..
Question.. went to the website and looked at what they had..

I've asked this question in the past and the replies didn't provide hope..

The site is "topsecretrecipes.com". Every week he provides a 'secret'
recipe from some well known resturant that he has cloned. He allows you to
Print the recipe during the week it's on line.. but, I'd like to copy it to
a file on my computer rather than input the text by hand.

I'm wondering if there is an application that will allow me to copy a file
that I believe is Macromedia Flash.

Thanks for any help again..

Bill

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lbJEg.627485$(E-Mail Removed)...
> why? wrote:
>
>> www.google.com , 1st hit for - remove adobe acrobat

>
> ..and if all the OP is doing is reading .pdf files (it *is* just a
> reader, after all), after uninstalling the old version, go get a free
> replacement that is not a bloated product.
>
> I'd recommend the FoxItReader; it is free. Been using it a long time.
> The whole download is only about 1.2 MB.
> http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
>
> --
> -bts
> -Warning: I brake for lawn deer



 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2006
WeeWilly wrote:

> Thanks, BTS.. Question.. went to the website and looked at what they
> had..
>
> I've asked this question in the past and the replies didn't provide
> hope..
>
> The site is "topsecretrecipes.com". Every week he provides a
> 'secret' recipe from some well known resturant that he has cloned.
> He allows you to Print the recipe during the week it's on line.. but,
> I'd like to copy it to a file on my computer rather than input the
> text by hand.


Sorry, it looks as if I would have to "buy" the recipes for 79 cents in
order to see what happens.

> I'm wondering if there is an application that will allow me to copy a
> file that I believe is Macromedia Flash.


Perhaps you could look in your browser's cache for the flash file? Clear
all cache just before you visit the site, so there's not much to look
through. That's all I can think of for that site.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer
 
Reply With Quote
 
WeeWilly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2006
Thanks again..

Bill


"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:U%aFg.639739$(E-Mail Removed)...
> WeeWilly wrote:
>
>> Thanks, BTS.. Question.. went to the website and looked at what they
>> had..
>>
>> I've asked this question in the past and the replies didn't provide
>> hope..
>>
>> The site is "topsecretrecipes.com". Every week he provides a
>> 'secret' recipe from some well known resturant that he has cloned.
>> He allows you to Print the recipe during the week it's on line.. but,
>> I'd like to copy it to a file on my computer rather than input the
>> text by hand.

>
> Sorry, it looks as if I would have to "buy" the recipes for 79 cents in
> order to see what happens.
>
>> I'm wondering if there is an application that will allow me to copy a
>> file that I believe is Macromedia Flash.

>
> Perhaps you could look in your browser's cache for the flash file? Clear
> all cache just before you visit the site, so there's not much to look
> through. That's all I can think of for that site.
>
> --
> -bts
> -Warning: I brake for lawn deer



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Color Managment, Adobe Working Spaces, Adobe Gamma Andy Leese Digital Photography 9 11-24-2006 03:38 AM
Picasa / Adobe Bridge / Adobe Photoshop Album Starter ? sharjo23 Digital Photography 3 04-24-2006 06:52 PM
Firefox and Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) David Roy Firefox 0 05-12-2005 10:26 PM
Adobe Acrobat & Adobe Reader LAH Computer Support 4 04-11-2005 09:49 PM



Advertisments