Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I rename a group of files using a list of predefined names?

How do I rename a group of files using a list of predefined names?

cedarson@gmail.com

Hi, everyone. My situation is that I have a group of files that are
needing to be renamed. I have software now that will convert a batch of
file names, but it only allows me to modify parameters of what the new
file names will be. I am needing to rename a group of file names from a
predetermined list that I have now. Is there a way to do this? Do I
need additional software? Thanks!

Evan Platt

On 15 Aug 2006 10:37:46 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi, everyone. My situation is that I have a group of files that are
>needing to be renamed. I have software now that will convert a batch of
>file names, but it only allows me to modify parameters of what the new
>file names will be. I am needing to rename a group of file names from a
>predetermined list that I have now. Is there a way to do this? Do I
>need additional software? Thanks!

Can you give an example? ie all files that include bob need to have
the 'bob' replaced with 'jim'?

cedarson@gmail.com

Evan Platt wrote:
> On 15 Aug 2006 10:37:46 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >Hi, everyone. My situation is that I have a group of files that are
> >needing to be renamed. I have software now that will convert a batch of
> >file names, but it only allows me to modify parameters of what the new
> >file names will be. I am needing to rename a group of file names from a
> >predetermined list that I have now. Is there a way to do this? Do I
> >need additional software? Thanks!

> Can you give an example? ie all files that include bob need to have
> the 'bob' replaced with 'jim'?

Sure! Right now I have a group of files already in a directory:

100184-923875
100184-923274
100184-923754

I have a list (right now on MS Access) of the corresponding file names
that these need to be changed to:

C2-009-00-M0204
C2-009-00-M2438
C2-009-00-M3242

Since these numbers do not go in sequence, and each number in the
directory corresponds to one on the list, the only way I could do this
is by renaming the files from a list that has been generated including
the new numbers. If the could just be changed in sequence, I already
have a program that would allow for me to do this, but they are needing
to be changed according to the corresponding number on my list. I know
it is kind of confusing. Please let me know if I can help you
understand it more... Thanks!

Plato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi, everyone. My situation is that I have a group of files that are
> needing to be renamed. I have software now that will convert a batch of

http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm
Bulk File Renamers

Rick Merrill

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Evan Platt wrote:
>
>>On 15 Aug 2006 10:37:46 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, everyone. My situation is that I have a group of files that are
>>>needing to be renamed. I have software now that will convert a batch of
>>>file names, but it only allows me to modify parameters of what the new
>>>file names will be. I am needing to rename a group of file names from a
>>>predetermined list that I have now. Is there a way to do this? Do I
>>>need additional software? Thanks!

>>Can you give an example? ie all files that include bob need to have
>>the 'bob' replaced with 'jim'?

> Sure! Right now I have a group of files already in a directory:
>
> 100184-923875
> 100184-923274
> 100184-923754
>
> I have a list (right now on MS Access) of the corresponding file names
> that these need to be changed to:
>
> C2-009-00-M0204
> C2-009-00-M2438
> C2-009-00-M3242
>
> Since these numbers do not go in sequence, and each number in the
> directory corresponds to one on the list, the only way I could do this
> is by renaming the files from a list that has been generated including
> the new numbers. If the could just be changed in sequence, I already
> have a program that would allow for me to do this, but they are needing
> to be changed according to the corresponding number on my list. I know
> it is kind of confusing. Please let me know if I can help you
> understand it more... Thanks!

mmm, you could use Excel to create three columns
ren 100184-923875 C2-009-00-M0204
then extract as text only into a REN.BAT
file and run that under DOS.

thanatoid

Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Evan Platt wrote:

>>>Can you give an example? ie all files that include bob
>>>need to have the 'bob' replaced with 'jim'?

>> Sure! Right now I have a group of files already in a
>> directory:
>>
>> 100184-923875
>> 100184-923274
>> 100184-923754
>>
>> I have a list (right now on MS Access) of the
>> corresponding file names that these need to be changed to:
>>
>> C2-009-00-M0204
>> C2-009-00-M2438
>> C2-009-00-M3242
>>
>> Since these numbers do not go in sequence, and each number
>> in the directory corresponds to one on the list, the only
>> way I could do this is by renaming the files from a list
>> that has been generated including the new numbers. If the
>> could just be changed in sequence, I already have a
>> program that would allow for me to do this, but they are
>> needing to be changed according to the corresponding
>> number on my list. I know it is kind of confusing.
>> Please let me know if I can help you understand it more...
>> Thanks!
>>

> mmm, you could use Excel to create three columns
> ren 100184-923875 C2-009-00-M0204
> then extract as text only into a REN.BAT
> file and run that under DOS.

This is a very clever suggestion.

I don't think ANY file rename utilities, including the one in
Total Commander, will do what the OP wants. It's either one at a
time, or what you suggested.