Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Install WinXP Home Edition over top of XP Pro?

Reply
Thread Tools

Install WinXP Home Edition over top of XP Pro?

 
 
GrandpaChuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
I have found out the WinXP Pro on our old computer is, as I suspected,
a pirated copy. I went to Microsoft's website and I can get a valid
key for it and make it legal for $150.

On Amazon I can buy a WinXP Home Edition for around $85.

Can I install this on the old computer over the current Pro version
without losing files, etc?

After all, I have no reason to have XP Pro on that machine anyway.
That was the OS on it when the computer was given to me. This is the
same computer we use on in our bedroom for streaming audio of WSUI-AM
and to listen to mp3 files of our 300+ music cds.

Thank you friends for all of your help.
--
Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
~

The following information is given with the utmost respect for the armed forces and civilians who have died in the current war and subsequent occupation in Iraq. According to http://icasualties.org/oif/
The number of Americans killed in Iraq as of August 12, 2006 is 2,601. Americans wounded = more than 18,777 United Kingdom = 115 Other = 115
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most of them by the so-called insurgents.
Today, August 14, 2006 it has been 1201 days since Bush declared,"Mission Accomplished in Iraq." That marked the end of the war and the beginning of the armed occupation.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
GrandpaChuck wrote:
> I have found out the WinXP Pro on our old computer is, as I suspected,
> a pirated copy. I went to Microsoft's website and I can get a valid
> key for it and make it legal for $150.
>
> On Amazon I can buy a WinXP Home Edition for around $85.
>
> Can I install this on the old computer over the current Pro version
> without losing files, etc?
>
> After all, I have no reason to have XP Pro on that machine anyway.
> That was the OS on it when the computer was given to me. This is the
> same computer we use on in our bedroom for streaming audio of WSUI-AM
> and to listen to mp3 files of our 300+ music cds.
>
> Thank you friends for all of your help.


Nope. Won't work. XP Home is NOT an upgrade path for XP Pro, so it can'tbe
done. You will have to backup your files, and do a new CLEAN install. Then
install the apps, restore the backups, etc.

--
Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh. ~Doctor Who~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joe Potter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
GrandpaChuck wrote:
>
> Can I install this on the old computer over the current Pro version
> without losing files, etc?



A clean install will be required.

If you wanted to go from Home to Pro, that's different.


 
Reply With Quote
 
GrandpaChuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:27:37 -0500, "Joe Potter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>GrandpaChuck wrote:
>>
>> Can I install this on the old computer over the current Pro version
>> without losing files, etc?

>
>
>A clean install will be required.
>
>If you wanted to go from Home to Pro, that's different.
>


Excuse me for being naive.
By "clean install" do you mean to just run the "Install" from the new
disks and let it do its thing?

The only records that mean much to me are all of those mp3 files and I
can dump those on to our main desktop p.c. via our home network. I can
put them all in one folder so all I need do is move them from one
computer to the other and then after the new OS is installed move them
back.

--
Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
~

The following information is given with the utmost respect for the armed forces and civilians who have died in the current war and subsequent occupation in Iraq. According to http://icasualties.org/oif/
The number of Americans killed in Iraq as of August 12, 2006 is 2,601. Americans wounded = more than 18,777 United Kingdom = 115 Other = 115
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most of them by the so-called insurgents.
Today, August 14, 2006 it has been 1201 days since Bush declared,"Mission Accomplished in Iraq." That marked the end of the war and the beginning of the armed occupation.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Meat Plow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 03:41:39 +0000, GrandpaChuck wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:27:37 -0500, "Joe Potter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>GrandpaChuck wrote:
>>>
>>> Can I install this on the old computer over the current Pro version
>>> without losing files, etc?

>>
>>
>>A clean install will be required.
>>
>>If you wanted to go from Home to Pro, that's different.
>>
>>

> Excuse me for being naive.
> By "clean install" do you mean to just run the "Install" from the new
> disks and let it do its thing?
>
> The only records that mean much to me are all of those mp3 files and I can
> dump those on to our main desktop p.c. via our home network. I can put
> them all in one folder so all I need do is move them from one computer to
> the other and then after the new OS is installed move them back.


Get all your data/music/video etc off the Pro machine, reformat the fixed
disk and install Home.

--
COOSN-266-06-25794

Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joe Potter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
GrandpaChuck wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:27:37 -0500, "Joe Potter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> GrandpaChuck wrote:
>>>
>>> Can I install this on the old computer over the current Pro version
>>> without losing files, etc?

>>
>>
>> A clean install will be required.
>>
>> If you wanted to go from Home to Pro, that's different.
>>

>
> Excuse me for being naive.
> By "clean install" do you mean to just run the "Install" from the new
> disks and let it do its thing?
>
> The only records that mean much to me are all of those mp3 files and I
> can dump those on to our main desktop p.c. via our home network. I can
> put them all in one folder so all I need do is move them from one
> computer to the other and then after the new OS is installed move them
> back.


Moving your mp3 files from on PC to another is one option.

Is your hard drive one large partition or do you have more than one ?

If it's one large partition you can backup to CD/DVD, or another PC over the
network.

You could use a third-party such as Partition Magic 8 to resize a hard drive
with one single partition.

When your data is backed up, refer to the following:

http://www.windowsxphome.windowsrein...exfullpage.htm
http://tinyurl.com/l4mmp
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_..._-_graphic.htm


 
Reply With Quote
 
GreenieLeBrun
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006

GrandpaChuck wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:27:37 -0500, "Joe Potter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >GrandpaChuck wrote:
> >>
> >> Can I install this on the old computer over the current Pro version
> >> without losing files, etc?

> >
> >
> >A clean install will be required.
> >
> >If you wanted to go from Home to Pro, that's different.
> >

>
> Excuse me for being naive.
> By "clean install" do you mean to just run the "Install" from the new
> disks and let it do its thing?
>
> The only records that mean much to me are all of those mp3 files and I
> can dump those on to our main desktop p.c. via our home network. I can
> put them all in one folder so all I need do is move them from one
> computer to the other and then after the new OS is installed move them
> back.
>
> --
> Grandpa Chuck
> -τΏτ-
> ~
>
> The following information is given with the utmost respect for the armed forces and civilians who have died in the current war and subsequent occupation in Iraq. According to http://icasualties.org/oif/
> The number of Americans killed in Iraq as of August 12, 2006 is 2,601. Americans wounded = more than 18,777 United Kingdom = 115 Other = 115
> Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most of them by the so-called insurgents.
> Today, August 14, 2006 it has been 1201 days since Bush declared,"Mission Accomplished in Iraq." That marked the end of the war and the beginning of the armed occupation.


Move the files you want to keep to the other machine, boot off the CD
(you may need to set the CD as the first boot device in your BIOS),
delete the partition, recreate the partition, let XP format the new
partition and proceed with the install.

See :-
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941 (you will need to use IE as
this page doesnot render correctly in Firefox)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
GreenieLeBrun wrote:
<
> See :-
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941 (you will need to use IE as
> this page does not render correctly in Firefox)


(surprise, surprise...)

--
Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh. ~Doctor Who~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jimmy Dean
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
On 14 Aug 2006 22:23:05 -0700, "GreenieLeBrun"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>Move the files you want to keep to the other machine, boot off the CD
>(you may need to set the CD as the first boot device in your BIOS),
>delete the partition, recreate the partition, let XP format the new
>partition and proceed with the install.
>
>See :-
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941 (you will need to use IE as
>this page doesnot render correctly in Firefox)


"The Requested Web Page is Not Available" in IE or Firefox

jd
 
Reply With Quote
 
GrandpaChuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2006
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:53:57 +1000, Jimmy Dean <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 14 Aug 2006 22:23:05 -0700, "GreenieLeBrun"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>Move the files you want to keep to the other machine, boot off the CD
>>(you may need to set the CD as the first boot device in your BIOS),
>>delete the partition, recreate the partition, let XP format the new
>>partition and proceed with the install.
>>
>>See :-
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941 (you will need to use IE as
>>this page doesnot render correctly in Firefox)

>
>"The Requested Web Page is Not Available" in IE or Firefox
>
>jd


Really?
I cut and pasted it directly into IE and it opened just fine for me. I
put it in my favorites so when I get my new WinXP Home I will be
ready.

Thanks to all of you who answered my question on this.

--
Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
~

The following information is given with the utmost respect for the armed forces and civilians who have died in the current war and subsequent occupation in Iraq. According to http://icasualties.org/oif/
The number of Americans killed in Iraq as of August 12, 2006 is 2,601. Americans wounded = more than 18,777 United Kingdom = 115 Other = 115
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most of them by the so-called insurgents.
Today, August 15, 2006 it has been 1202 days since Bush declared,"Mission Accomplished in Iraq." That marked the end of the war and the beginning of the armed occupation.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP PLS! Using Partition Magic 2 Try 2 Install WinXP x64 on Top of XP 32 MadMax75th Windows 64bit 7 09-02-2008 02:30 AM
VOIP over VPN over TCP over WAP over 3G Theo Markettos UK VOIP 2 02-14-2008 03:27 PM
How to enable Local Users and Groups on WinXP Home Edition. Boaby Computer Support 3 05-30-2006 10:58 AM
Installing Linux with WinXP Home Edition Mikester71 Computer Support 7 09-13-2005 07:15 PM
Can't upgrade to WinXP Home Edition due to Blocking Issues Mike Computer Support 2 08-31-2003 04:27 AM



Advertisments