Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > LPR/Standard, TCP/IP, HP TCP/IP Ports

LPR/Standard, TCP/IP, HP TCP/IP Ports

DJ Chiro

I am a network admin and I have a co-work (who's been here longer than me)
who has most of the printers setup as LPR printers. This is an NT/2000
network with NO UNIX whatsoever... Now from where I've worked in the past
I've always used either standard TCP/IP or HP Jetdirect ports with minimal
problems.

Since I've been here I noticed there are a few quirky problems with users
printing and the spooler needing to be reset on the print server(W2K). I
feel that some of these problems could be because some ports are setup as
LPR.

Am I right?

These are all HP printers using internal or external jet direct cards...

Also is there any difference between a standard tcp/ip port and an HP TCP/IP
Port? THanks

Rowdy Yates

"DJ Chiro" <dj_chiro@hotmail<DOT>com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
> Since I've been here I noticed there are a few quirky problems with
> users printing and the spooler needing to be reset on the print
> server(W2K). I feel that some of these problems could be because some
> ports are setup as LPR.
>
> Am I right?

??????
before you make changes that affect multiple users, make sure you have all
the pertinent info. why don't you just ask the guy why he hasn't made the
change from LPR to ip printing - and volunteer to do the work if you still
want to make the change.

> Also is there any difference between a standard tcp/ip port and an HP
> TCP/IP Port? THanks

yes. check the microsoft site? if there wasn't - they wouldn't bother
seperating the two, would they?