Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > installing router D-link dwl-g730ap

installing router D-link dwl-g730ap

capnfreedom

Hello. I'm trying to install a D-link G730AP "wireless pocket
router/AP" to use with two dell laptops at home, which currently have
to rotate between our ethernet.
In the D-link "Quick Installation Guide" it says, "Before you begin,
the default address for the DWL-G730AP is 192.168.0.30 with a Subnet
Mask of 255.255.255.0. You will need to assign your computer a Static
IP address within the same range as the DWL-G730AP's IP address for the
purpose of configuring the DWL-G730AP."
What exactly does this mean I need to do? How exactly do I assign this
"Static IP address?" I have gone to D-link on-line and it was no help.
Thanks.

Gordon

capnfreedom wrote:

> Hello. I'm trying to install a D-link G730AP "wireless pocket
> router/AP" to use with two dell laptops at home, which currently have
> to rotate between our ethernet.
> In the D-link "Quick Installation Guide" it says, "Before you begin,
> the default address for the DWL-G730AP is 192.168.0.30 with a Subnet
> Mask of 255.255.255.0. You will need to assign your computer a Static
> IP address within the same range as the DWL-G730AP's IP address for the
> purpose of configuring the DWL-G730AP."
> What exactly does this mean I need to do? How exactly do I assign this
> "Static IP address?" I have gone to D-link on-line and it was no help.
> Thanks.

What operating System are you using?

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2

wrinkly.tech@ntlworld.com

capnfreedom wrote:

> Hello. I'm trying to install a D-link G730AP "wireless pocket
> router/AP" to use with two dell laptops at home, which currently have
> to rotate between our ethernet.
> In the D-link "Quick Installation Guide" it says, "Before you begin,
> the default address for the DWL-G730AP is 192.168.0.30 with a Subnet
> Mask of 255.255.255.0. You will need to assign your computer a Static
> IP address within the same range as the DWL-G730AP's IP address for the
> purpose of configuring the DWL-G730AP."
> What exactly does this mean I need to do? How exactly do I assign this
> "Static IP address?" I have gone to D-link on-line and it was no help.
> Thanks.

Sounds like you need to access the router to set it up. 192.168.0.30 is

its IP address, so to access it, connect a laptop and set its IP
address
to something in the same subnet, say 192.168.0.31 with mask
255.255.255.0. From the laptop you should then be able to access the
router using IE and entering the router address in the address line
(most current small routers have a browser interface). Once you are
connected follow the rest of the setup instructions.

capnfreedom

I'm using windows xp. Where do I go exactly on the desktop, program,
control panel? to set an IP? Sorry for the ignorance.
> capnfreedom wrote:
>
> > Hello. I'm trying to install a D-link G730AP "wireless pocket
> > router/AP" to use with two dell laptops at home, which currently have
> > to rotate between our ethernet.
> > In the D-link "Quick Installation Guide" it says, "Before you begin,
> > the default address for the DWL-G730AP is 192.168.0.30 with a Subnet
> > Mask of 255.255.255.0. You will need to assign your computer a Static
> > IP address within the same range as the DWL-G730AP's IP address for the
> > purpose of configuring the DWL-G730AP."
> > What exactly does this mean I need to do? How exactly do I assign this
> > "Static IP address?" I have gone to D-link on-line and it was no help.
> > Thanks.

> Sounds like you need to access the router to set it up. 192.168.0.30 is
>
> its IP address, so to access it, connect a laptop and set its IP
> address
> to something in the same subnet, say 192.168.0.31 with mask
> 255.255.255.0. From the laptop you should then be able to access the
> router using IE and entering the router address in the address line
> (most current small routers have a browser interface). Once you are
> connected follow the rest of the setup instructions.

Fred

capnfreedom wrote:
> I'm using windows xp. Where do I go exactly on the desktop, program,
> control panel? to set an IP? Sorry for the ignorance.

You set it in the tcp/ip properties of your network connection.
Some info here about setting up internet protocol but the specific info
needs to be changed to suit you particular settings.

http://163.1.0.28/network/ethernet/w...nfiguringTCPIP
192.168.0.2 might be appropriate or 192.168.0.3 etc depending what is
available.

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> capnfreedom wrote:
>>
>>> Hello. I'm trying to install a D-link G730AP "wireless pocket
>>> router/AP" to use with two dell laptops at home, which currently
>>> have to rotate between our ethernet.
>>> In the D-link "Quick Installation Guide" it says, "Before you begin,
>>> the default address for the DWL-G730AP is 192.168.0.30 with a Subnet
>>> Mask of 255.255.255.0. You will need to assign your computer a
>>> Static IP address within the same range as the DWL-G730AP's IP
>>> address for the purpose of configuring the DWL-G730AP."
>>> What exactly does this mean I need to do? How exactly do I assign
>>> this "Static IP address?" I have gone to D-link on-line and it was
>>> no help. Thanks.

>> Sounds like you need to access the router to set it up. 192.168.0.30
>> is
>>
>> its IP address, so to access it, connect a laptop and set its IP
>> address
>> to something in the same subnet, say 192.168.0.31 with mask
>> 255.255.255.0. From the laptop you should then be able to access the
>> router using IE and entering the router address in the address line
>> (most current small routers have a browser interface). Once you are
>> connected follow the rest of the setup instructions.

why?

On 11 Aug 2006 10:12:05 -0700, capnfreedom wrote:

>I'm using windows xp. Where do I go exactly on the desktop, program,
>control panel? to set an IP? Sorry for the ignorance.

Top posting and not snipping any of the previous message.

What's worse is not reading the manual, as it's in there.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=346
see
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwlg730...l_06302005.zip

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> capnfreedom wrote:
>>
>> > Hello. I'm trying to install a D-link G730AP "wireless pocket
>> > router/AP" to use with two dell laptops at home, which currently have
>> > to rotate between our ethernet.

<snip>

>> > "Static IP address?" I have gone to D-link on-line and it was no help.

18 seconds was all it took, in the manual -
Networking Basics (continued)
Assigning a Static IP Address in Windows XP/2000

>> > Thanks.

>> Sounds like you need to access the router to set it up. 192.168.0.30 is
>>
>> its IP address, so to access it, connect a laptop and set its IP
>> address

<snip>

Me