Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Memory and backup

Memory and backup

Sylvia M

Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
also external Zip drive.
most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies

1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
I mainly store documents and some photos.

2. This makes me think that I need to get some stuff out!

I've been backing up documents on some zips (100MBs)
and I own about 40 100MB zip disks.
Should I just use those?
I also own:
4x DVD-RWdiscs
DVD+R 4.7 4X discs
CD-R 4.7GB 4X discs

OR should I buy an external drive or
a Memory Stick (I have a slot for it)?

So much stuff and so little clues as to which is appropriate for what.

Pleeeese advise!

Also, is there a tutorial available?

Sylvia M.

Toolman Tim

Sylvia M wrote:
> Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
> 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
> DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
> also external Zip drive.
> most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies
>
> 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
> In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
> 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
> I mainly store documents and some photos.

You're looking in the WRONG place. Open "My Computer", right-click on the C:
drive (it probably says "Local disk (C", select "Properties". It will show
you a nice pie-chart showing how much of your hard drive is used and how
much is available.

John Holmes

Sylvia M "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
> 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
> DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
> also external Zip drive.
> most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies
>
> 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
> In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
> 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
> I mainly store documents and some photos.
>
> 2. This makes me think that I need to get some stuff out!
>
> I've been backing up documents on some zips (100MBs)
> and I own about 40 100MB zip disks.
> Should I just use those?
> I also own:
> 4x DVD-RWdiscs
> DVD+R 4.7 4X discs
> CD-R 4.7GB 4X discs
>
> OR should I buy an external drive or
> a Memory Stick (I have a slot for it)?
>
> So much stuff and so little clues as to which is appropriate for what.
>
> Pleeeese advise!
>
> Also, is there a tutorial available?
>
> Sylvia M.

Damn. Is that you?
http://www.panam.edu/dept/rehabser/E...ges/Sylvia.jpg

--
Your mother was a dwarven clod who got stoned every day amongst cavemen
in a time loop.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Toolman Tim wrote:

> Sylvia M wrote:
>> Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
>> 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
>> DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
>> also external Zip drive.
>> most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies
>>
>> 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
>> In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
>> 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
>> I mainly store documents and some photos.

> You're looking in the WRONG place. Open "My Computer", right-click on the C:
> drive (it probably says "Local disk (C", select "Properties". It will show
> you a nice pie-chart showing how much of your hard drive is used and how
> much is available.

She is also confusing "memory" [RAM] with "hard disk space".

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Toolman Tim

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>
>> Sylvia M wrote:
>>> Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
>>> 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
>>> DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
>>> also external Zip drive.
>>> most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies
>>>
>>> 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
>>> In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
>>> 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
>>> I mainly store documents and some photos.

>> You're looking in the WRONG place. Open "My Computer", right-click
>> on the C: drive (it probably says "Local disk (C", select
>> "Properties". It will show you a nice pie-chart showing how much of
>> your hard drive is used and how much is available.

> She is also confusing "memory" [RAM] with "hard disk space".

Exactly - common "newbie" error

thanatoid

"Sylvia M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
> 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
> DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
> also external Zip drive.
> most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies

A whole book can fit on a floppy, not to mention most well-
written programs. I have 15 year old floppies that work fine.
You will be buying a box sooner or later.

> 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
> In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
> 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
> I mainly store documents and some photos.

You are confusing the amount of space in megabytes (MB) or
gigabytes (GB) that stuff takes up on your big-ass (250 GB) hard
drive and the 1 GB memory your computer has which is Random
Access Memory used for operations and has NOTHING to do with the
size of your hard drive or the amount of stuff on it. 1 GB RAM
is PLENTY.

> 2. This makes me think that I need to get some stuff out!

Get Scanner from http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/ and you
will see exactly how much space is taken up by what.

> I've been backing up documents on some zips (100MBs)
> and I own about 40 100MB zip disks.
> Should I just use those?

A lot of Zip disks fail. About the same failure rate as
floppies, I think. I would back up the REALLY important stuff
TWICE onto CD-R or DVD-R and store them in two separate places
(the two copies I mean).

> OR should I buy an external drive or
> a Memory Stick (I have a slot for it)?

Theoretically, a good Memory stick should never fail, but we've
heard that before, huh? But they are relatively low-capacity.
And CD/DVD-R's are SO cheap. Just get a good brand name (TDK,
Fuji).

There are no tutorials but the web has thousands of places where
you can read up on all sorts of how-to-with-a-computer things.
Google.

me

"thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Sylvia M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
>> 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
>> DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
>> also external Zip drive.
>> most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies

> A whole book can fit on a floppy, not to mention most well-
> written programs. I have 15 year old floppies that work fine.
> You will be buying a box sooner or later.
>
>> 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
>> In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
>> 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
>> I mainly store documents and some photos.

> You are confusing the amount of space in megabytes (MB) or
> gigabytes (GB) that stuff takes up on your big-ass (250 GB) hard
> drive and the 1 GB memory your computer has which is Random
> Access Memory used for operations and has NOTHING to do with the
> size of your hard drive or the amount of stuff on it. 1 GB RAM
> is PLENTY.
>
>> 2. This makes me think that I need to get some stuff out!

> Get Scanner from http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/ and you
> will see exactly how much space is taken up by what.
>
>> I've been backing up documents on some zips (100MBs)
>> and I own about 40 100MB zip disks.
>> Should I just use those?

> A lot of Zip disks fail. About the same failure rate as
> floppies, I think. I would back up the REALLY important stuff
> TWICE onto CD-R or DVD-R and store them in two separate places
> (the two copies I mean).
>
>> OR should I buy an external drive or
>> a Memory Stick (I have a slot for it)?

> Theoretically, a good Memory stick should never fail, but we've
> heard that before, huh? But they are relatively low-capacity.
> And CD/DVD-R's are SO cheap. Just get a good brand name (TDK,
> Fuji).

Good brand names don't mean much. It depends which factory they get their
discs from that makes the difference. I've had "good" brands made by CMC
Magnetics,utter crap and high failure rate. Taiyo Yuden and Ritek discs are
the ones to go for.

Sylvia M

me wrote:
> "thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "Sylvia M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
>>> 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
>>> DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
>>> also external Zip drive.
>>> most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies

>> A whole book can fit on a floppy, not to mention most well-
>> written programs. I have 15 year old floppies that work fine.
>> You will be buying a box sooner or later.
>>
>>> 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
>>> In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
>>> 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
>>> I mainly store documents and some photos.

>> You are confusing the amount of space in megabytes (MB) or
>> gigabytes (GB) that stuff takes up on your big-ass (250 GB) hard
>> drive and the 1 GB memory your computer has which is Random
>> Access Memory used for operations and has NOTHING to do with the
>> size of your hard drive or the amount of stuff on it. 1 GB RAM
>> is PLENTY.
>>
>>> 2. This makes me think that I need to get some stuff out!

>> Get Scanner from http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/ and you
>> will see exactly how much space is taken up by what.
>>
>>> I've been backing up documents on some zips (100MBs)
>>> and I own about 40 100MB zip disks.
>>> Should I just use those?

>> A lot of Zip disks fail. About the same failure rate as
>> floppies, I think. I would back up the REALLY important stuff
>> TWICE onto CD-R or DVD-R and store them in two separate places
>> (the two copies I mean).
>>
>>> OR should I buy an external drive or
>>> a Memory Stick (I have a slot for it)?

>> Theoretically, a good Memory stick should never fail, but we've
>> heard that before, huh? But they are relatively low-capacity.
>> And CD/DVD-R's are SO cheap. Just get a good brand name (TDK,
>> Fuji).
>>

> Good brand names don't mean much. It depends which factory they get
> their discs from that makes the difference. I've had "good" brands
> made by CMC Magnetics,utter crap and high failure rate. Taiyo Yuden
> and Ritek discs are the ones to go for.

What was available to me was HP, CompUSA, Office Depot, and Sony.
Since my computer didn't recognize one, I tried others. They are all
recognized now, I was using the wrong slot ;-/

I'll be taking all inputs into consideration as I back-up...probly twice.

Thanks to all.

Sylvia

thanatoid

"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in news:9GyCg.81$y61.26@fed1read05:

> "thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "Sylvia M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Windows XP , Media Center 2005, with
>>> 250 GB HD The tower label also says 1 GB Memory.
>>> DVD+- RW / CD Writer slot and DVD ROM.slot
>>> also external Zip drive.
>>> most wiped clean. I trashed all floppies

>> A whole book can fit on a floppy, not to mention most
>> well- written programs. I have 15 year old floppies that
>> work fine. You will be buying a box sooner or later.
>>
>>> 1. Is 1 GB memory really all I really have?
>>> In My Documents folder alone, it reads that the
>>> 'size' is 1.02 GBs and the 'Size' on Disc is 1.03 GBs.
>>> I mainly store documents and some photos.

>> You are confusing the amount of space in megabytes (MB) or
>> gigabytes (GB) that stuff takes up on your big-ass (250
>> GB) hard drive and the 1 GB memory your computer has which
>> is Random Access Memory used for operations and has
>> NOTHING to do with the size of your hard drive or the
>> amount of stuff on it. 1 GB RAM is PLENTY.
>>
>>> 2. This makes me think that I need to get some stuff out!

>> Get Scanner from http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/
>> and you will see exactly how much space is taken up by
>> what.
>>
>>> I've been backing up documents on some zips (100MBs)
>>> and I own about 40 100MB zip disks.
>>> Should I just use those?

>> A lot of Zip disks fail. About the same failure rate as
>> floppies, I think. I would back up the REALLY important
>> stuff TWICE onto CD-R or DVD-R and store them in two
>> separate places (the two copies I mean).
>>
>>> OR should I buy an external drive or
>>> a Memory Stick (I have a slot for it)?

>> Theoretically, a good Memory stick should never fail, but
>> we've heard that before, huh? But they are relatively
>> low-capacity. And CD/DVD-R's are SO cheap. Just get a good
>> brand name (TDK, Fuji).
>>

> Good brand names don't mean much. It depends which factory
> they get their discs from that makes the difference. I've
> had "good" brands made by CMC Magnetics,utter crap and high
> failure rate. Taiyo Yuden and Ritek discs are the ones to
> go for.

AFAIK, Fujis are made by TY. I can't get the Fujis where I live,
but I have used a couple hundred of the TDK's and Costco
generally offers the best quality stuff - the elimination of the
hours spent staring at 30 CD-R brands (or 30 paper towel brands)
is almost as great a benefit of shopping there as the prices
are. And most people do not have the skill and patience to find
a program that tells them where the discs were made - and it's
the masters that matter, anyway, and THEY could have been made
anywhere. TDK has an excellent track record. I've been using
their cassettes since the late 70's and not one has ever failed.
Still have them.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

thanatoid wrote:

> A whole book can fit on a floppy, not to mention most well- written
> programs. I have 15 year old floppies that work fine. You will be
> buying a box sooner or later.

I'm curious as to what kind of document that "whole book" is - what
format, etc - that will fit on a floppy disk. 1.44 MB, right?

And to find a program - application - that small is also quite rare.