Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Core 2 Duo PC keeps shutting down itself after 2 seconds and booting up nonstop

Reply
Thread Tools

Core 2 Duo PC keeps shutting down itself after 2 seconds and booting up nonstop

 
 
ss6nn1@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2006
Toolman Tim wrote:
> Well, you can get a 4-head PCIe video card and put it in any PCIe slotted
> system...granted, it ain't cheap
> http://www.widgetsinc.com/shop/product511.html
>


Actually I knew about that Matrox QID card, regret not getting it now,
it probably runs much quieter than two GeForce 7600GT cards

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
hdrdtd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2006
Last time I had a PC exibit those same symptoms, it was a bad motherboard.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Turn machine on,
> CPU fan spins,
> No beep,
> No signal to monitor,
> 2 seconds later,
> Turns off itself,
> 2 seconds of silence,
> Boots itself up again,
> 2 seconds later,
> Turns off itself,
> Repeat,
> Repeat,
> etc.
>
> What could be the problem? Motherboard or CPU?
>
> NOTE: It worked when I first booted the machine after building it, went
> into BIOS, checked temps, etc.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ss6nn1@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> What could be the problem? Motherboard or CPU?


OK, I bought a new motherboard and CPU and still same problem.

Turns out one of the 1GB memory chips in the 2GB kit is faulty. Thought
I tested both yesterday, obviously not.

Last time I'm building my own workstation or buying Crucial Ballistix
memory.

 
Reply With Quote
 
kony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2006
On 10 Aug 2006 14:23:36 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> What could be the problem? Motherboard or CPU?

>
>OK, I bought a new motherboard and CPU and still same problem.
>
>Turns out one of the 1GB memory chips in the 2GB kit is faulty. Thought
>I tested both yesterday, obviously not.
>
>Last time I'm building my own workstation or buying Crucial Ballistix
>memory.



Any brand will have a small percentage of bad parts, you
could have bought another brand and still faced similar %
risk.
 
Reply With Quote
 
ss6nn1@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2006
kony wrote:
> Any brand will have a small percentage of bad parts, you
> could have bought another brand and still faced similar %
> risk.


True however since my last post, the new workstation keeps crashing
even with only the other memory chip installed from the 2GB kit (2x 1GB
modules). Firstly BF2 game crashes (it usually uses all available
memory) and when I reach 50% of memory usage, random programs start to
crash (Firefox, Explorer or background services or even BSOD). This is
usually caused by faulty memory from past experience. I've contacted
Crucial for an RMA.

 
Reply With Quote
 
frodo@theshire.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2006
first step in any build is to run memtest86+ from floppy for at least 6
hours, overnight is better. ZERO errors is the only acceptable result, do
not proceed until then.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sean Hutchinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2006
Have you RMA'd the memory?

All memory comes with warranty for faults, usually a lifetime warranty is
included now.

Memory failures are probably the most commonlike failures in comp building,
so no reason to really give-up
on building comps, i've experienced a hell of alot of these, but simply RMA
them back for a new set.

"kony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 10 Aug 2006 14:23:36 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> What could be the problem? Motherboard or CPU?

> >
> >OK, I bought a new motherboard and CPU and still same problem.
> >
> >Turns out one of the 1GB memory chips in the 2GB kit is faulty. Thought
> >I tested both yesterday, obviously not.
> >
> >Last time I'm building my own workstation or buying Crucial Ballistix
> >memory.

>
>
> Any brand will have a small percentage of bad parts, you
> could have bought another brand and still faced similar %
> risk.



 
Reply With Quote
 
ss6nn1@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> True however since my last post, the new workstation keeps crashing
> even with only the other memory chip installed from the 2GB kit (2x 1GB
> modules). Firstly BF2 game crashes (it usually uses all available
> memory) and when I reach 50% of memory usage, random programs start to
> crash (Firefox, Explorer or background services or even BSOD). This is
> usually caused by faulty memory from past experience. I've contacted
> Crucial for an RMA.


OK an update on this situtation:

Turns out the memory was faulty and causing all the problems,
specifically the on/off looping, memtest86+ detected 22 errors after 2
hours of testing.

I've returned the Crucial Ballistix "high performance" memory and got a
new 2GB kit of Crucial "Value" memory which works perfectly, memtest86+
shows no errors after 12hours of testing, system is stable now.

 
Reply With Quote
 
CBFalconer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> True however since my last post, the new workstation keeps crashing
>> even with only the other memory chip installed from the 2GB kit (2x
>> 1GB modules). Firstly BF2 game crashes (it usually uses all available
>> memory) and when I reach 50% of memory usage, random programs start
>> to crash (Firefox, Explorer or background services or even BSOD).
>> This is usually caused by faulty memory from past experience. I've
>> contacted Crucial for an RMA.

>
> OK an update on this situtation:
>
> Turns out the memory was faulty and causing all the problems,
> specifically the on/off looping, memtest86+ detected 22 errors
> after 2 hours of testing.
>
> I've returned the Crucial Ballistix "high performance" memory and
> got a new 2GB kit of Crucial "Value" memory which works perfectly,
> memtest86+ shows no errors after 12hours of testing, system is
> stable now.


I suspect you still haven't learned that the only appropriate form
of memory is ECC memory. Anything else is fundamentally
untrustworthy, due to lack of cross-checking.

--
"I support the Red Sox and any team that beats the Yankees"
"Any baby snookums can be a Yankee fan, it takes real moral
fiber to be a Red Sox fan" - "I listened to Toronto come back
from 3:0 in '42, I watched Boston come back from 3:0 in '04"


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Event message: Application is shutting down. Reason: Hosting environment is shutting down. Jack ASP .Net 2 07-18-2007 01:27 PM
Core Solo & Core Duo are not Core microarchitecture; 65nm Pentium M chips bigal Hardware 0 03-22-2006 11:24 AM
Re: Windows keeps shutting itself down William Poaster Computer Support 0 08-12-2003 10:02 AM
Re: Windows keeps shutting itself down National Enforment Team Computer Support 0 08-12-2003 09:59 AM
Re: Windows keeps shutting itself down Bob Computer Support 0 08-12-2003 09:52 AM



Advertisments