Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Disk Boot Failure, but Drive is fine

Disk Boot Failure, but Drive is fine

abright52@gmail.com

I have a computer that I believe was struck by lightning. I had to
replace the power supply and the motherboard. I backed up the old hard
drive and started fresh.
Formatted as NTFS, XP Home installation went fine, but when I went to
restart it, I got a Disk Boot Failure message. I replaced the hard
drive with a brand new WD 40GB Drive. Reinstalled XP Home and got the
same error after restarting. I booted into Partition Magic from a
Floppy Disk and formatted the drive from there, set it up for NTFS, set
it as the active partition and installed Windows XP again, this time
from a different XP CD, just in case the original disk was causing
problems. Still getting the same error.
I swapped out the RAM, no change. I have ran the system through a few
of my diagnostic tools and everything comes up as good. I booted into
the Recovery Console......chkdsk /r came up clean, then I ran fixboot
and fixmbr. Still no boot.

If I have a bootable CD in the drive (Windows CD, Diagnostics CD, etc),
it will boot into Windows, as it should, when I don't press any key to
boot to CD. I found that quite strange, as I have never seen anything
like that in 5 years of being a computer tech.

Any ideas?

Walter Mautner

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users
with:

> I have a computer that I believe was struck by lightning. I had to
> replace the power supply and the motherboard. I backed up the old
> hard drive and started fresh.

> If I have a bootable CD in the drive (Windows CD, Diagnostics CD,
> etc), it will boot into Windows, as it should, when I don't press any
> key to
> boot to CD. I found that quite strange, as I have never seen anything
> like that in 5 years of being a computer tech.
>
> Any ideas?

When you just press the reset button after the first failed boot, or
even ctrl-alt-del, does it boot up then?
There may be a chance your hd(s) take a bit too long to spin up for the
first attempt.
Otherwise ... you already changed psu and mainboard, so left the old
graphics card or what else?

abright52

Nope, reset or Ctrl-Alt-Del don't change anything.

It has onboard Video.

The only thing left is the processor and once I get it to boot (with
the CD in the drive) Windows works flawlessly.

Ben Myers

Go into the BIOS setup and make sure the boot sequence is set to
"A:,C:,CD". Be sure to save any changes when exiting.

Ben

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have a computer that I believe was struck by lightning. I had to
> replace the power supply and the motherboard. I backed up the old hard
> drive and started fresh.
> Formatted as NTFS, XP Home installation went fine, but when I went to
> restart it, I got a Disk Boot Failure message. I replaced the hard
> drive with a brand new WD 40GB Drive. Reinstalled XP Home and got the
> same error after restarting. I booted into Partition Magic from a
> Floppy Disk and formatted the drive from there, set it up for NTFS, set
> it as the active partition and installed Windows XP again, this time
> from a different XP CD, just in case the original disk was causing
> problems. Still getting the same error.
> I swapped out the RAM, no change. I have ran the system through a few
> of my diagnostic tools and everything comes up as good. I booted into
> the Recovery Console......chkdsk /r came up clean, then I ran fixboot
> and fixmbr. Still no boot.
>
> If I have a bootable CD in the drive (Windows CD, Diagnostics CD, etc),
> it will boot into Windows, as it should, when I don't press any key to
> boot to CD. I found that quite strange, as I have never seen anything
> like that in 5 years of being a computer tech.
>
> Any ideas?

abright52

Boot Sequence is correct.

-Floppy
-CDROM
-Hard Drive

I have tried the hard drive in all three positions, no change.

Ben Myers

Please try "Floppy, Hard Drive, CDROM", if available. If not, see
if you can remove the CD drive from the sequence..

Ben

"abright52" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Boot Sequence is correct.
>
> -Floppy
> -CDROM
> -Hard Drive
>
> I have tried the hard drive in all three positions, no change.

abright52

As I said, I have tried the hard drive in all 3 positions.

I also disconnected the floppy and CDROM drive completely to no avail.

Walter Mautner

abright52 enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users with:

> As I said, I have tried the hard drive in all 3 positions.
>
> I also disconnected the floppy and CDROM drive completely to no avail.

Really strange. Have you tried to re-flash the bios (get a new or even
copy of the running version from the appropriate homepage) as well?
Then do not forget to "reset to fail-safe (or setup) defaults" or
whatever menu you have.

Ben Myers

Go into the BIOS setup and see if there is a fast boot option. If so, make
sure it is disabled. Also, you might try resetting the BIOS to the default
settings.

Ben

"abright52" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> As I said, I have tried the hard drive in all 3 positions.
>
> I also disconnected the floppy and CDROM drive completely to no avail.

abright52

BIOS has been set to the default/optimized settings several times.
I also flashed the BIOS with the latest version, no changes.