Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > It fall down. Go BOOM!

It fall down. Go BOOM!

DWACON

Got a good deal on a used PC... an hp Pavilion. I spent a week deleting the
original owner's SW and installing mine.

One day, I went to turn it on and while the fans started and the two CD
drives started up... but the keyboard lights didn't come on and the monitor
remains in sleep mode.

I checked all connections and opened the box to see if any cables had come
loose. All seems to be straight.

I am thinking maybe I should buy and install a new power supply but since it
is out of warranty, it will be all out of my pocket.

Any ideas?

--
Your parents take care of you until you're 21. The government takes care of
you after you're 65. You only have to take care of yourself for 44 years.

thanatoid

"DWACON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Got a good deal on a used PC... an hp Pavilion. I spent a
> week deleting the original owner's SW and installing mine.
>
> One day, I went to turn it on and while the fans started
> and the two CD drives started up... but the keyboard lights
> didn't come on and the monitor remains in sleep mode.
>
> I checked all connections and opened the box to see if any
> cables had come loose. All seems to be straight.
>
> I am thinking maybe I should buy and install a new power
> supply but since it is out of warranty, it will be all out
> of my pocket.
>
> Any ideas?

Some friends of mine used to have a band called "Fall Down Go
Boom".
Anyway...

Have you tried to boot it up like ten times? And it happens
EVERY time? If so, someone more knowledgeable than me will have
to help you.

I used to have a similar problem very occasionally but booting
up a second time solved it every time. I think cheap switches
and connections get gunked up with time, especially if the
previous owner used a power bar or a UPS to switch the whole
thing on.

abright52

Doesn't sound like a power supply, since your fans are still getting
power.
I would unplug the computer, open it up and unplug the power
connector(s) from the motherboard, then plug them back in a few minutes
later. I would also reseat the video card (if it is not on-board) and
the RAM.

Do you hear any beeping from the computer when you try to start it?

PeeCee

"DWACON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Got a good deal on a used PC... an hp Pavilion. I spent a week deleting
> the original owner's SW and installing mine.
>
> One day, I went to turn it on and while the fans started and the two CD
> drives started up... but the keyboard lights didn't come on and the
> monitor remains in sleep mode.
>
> I checked all connections and opened the box to see if any cables had come
> loose. All seems to be straight.
>
> I am thinking maybe I should buy and install a new power supply but since
> it is out of warranty, it will be all out of my pocket.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> --
> Your parents take care of you until you're 21. The government takes care
> of you after you're 65. You only have to take care of yourself for 44
> years.

I had a job last week where the CMOS had changed the CPU settings for a
faster CPU than that installed.
Same effect as you are describing, though did occasionally see the Bios
screen reporting a mismatch with the CPU settings.
Reset the CMOS and then manually changed the settings to match the CPU and
it all ran fine.

Other than that measure the PSU voltages are within 5% and reduce the PC to
Motherboard, CPU, Video and 1 stick of RAM.
If it runs then add bits till it stops, if it doesn't find another
compatible PC and test the plug in bits.

Best
Paul.

DWACON

"abright52" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Doesn't sound like a power supply, since your fans are still getting
> power.
> I would unplug the computer, open it up and unplug the power
> connector(s) from the motherboard, then plug them back in a few minutes
> later. I would also reseat the video card (if it is not on-board) and
> the RAM.
>
> Do you hear any beeping from the computer when you try to start it?

Tried all of the above... no beeping.

Re: Mob-ocracy and the Fall of the Republic Bigus DiŠkus MCSE 0 04-18-2006 01:44 AM
CrystalReports: Value does not fall within the expected range. =?Utf-8?B?amF2YXRvcGlh?= ASP .Net 4 10-14-2005 06:16 PM
VPN pix 506 - 501 fall down Fwed Cisco 0 08-30-2005 08:54 AM
Don't fall for the Firefox 1.01 "update" elaich Computer Support 8 02-26-2005 11:54 PM
table to css, fall at first hurdle foldface@yahoo.co.uk HTML 15 11-25-2003 10:31 PM

Advertisments