Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC Powers Up, then switches off

PC Powers Up, then switches off

Simon Harris

Hi All,

I'm building a new system, using a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, new 450w PSU, and an
AMD Athlon 2600+ XP.

When I power it up, the PSU and CPU fans switch on, then 1 second later it
shuts down. I have to power off at the mains to switch on again.

I have the system setup * out of the case * with only a CPU, power supply
and power switch connected.

I've tried 2 CPUs, and 2 power supplies (One of each in known to be good
working order)

Have also tried the CPUs in another rig, and they work AOK.

Have tried resetting the BIOS (Remove battery, short the jumpers).

The only related jumper on the board I can see is the FSB which I had set to
200mhz when I had a Duron 1000 in there, and default when I had the 2600+ XP
in.

With no CPU installed, the fans stay on, and I get a voice message 'No CPU
Installed' (This particular m/b has voice diagnostic messages).

Have I missed anything? Do I have a faulty M/B?

Cheers!

Simon.

--
-
* Please reply to group for the benefit of all

It has removed 8259 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Rod Speed

Simon Harris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm building a new system, using a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, new 450w PSU,
> and an AMD Athlon 2600+ XP.
>
> When I power it up, the PSU and CPU fans switch on, then 1 second
> later it shuts down. I have to power off at the mains to switch on
> again.
> I have the system setup * out of the case * with only a CPU, power
> supply and power switch connected.
>
> I've tried 2 CPUs, and 2 power supplies (One of each in known to be
> good working order)
>
> Have also tried the CPUs in another rig, and they work AOK.
>
> Have tried resetting the BIOS (Remove battery, short the jumpers).
>
> The only related jumper on the board I can see is the FSB which I had
> set to 200mhz when I had a Duron 1000 in there, and default when I
> had the 2600+ XP in.
>
> With no CPU installed, the fans stay on, and I get a voice message
> 'No CPU Installed' (This particular m/b has voice diagnostic
> messages).
> Have I missed anything? Do I have a faulty M/B?

Try resetting the cmos, CLRTC1 jumper.

Simon Harris

Thanks for your reply - I've already tried that. No luck.

Any other ideas? I'm thinking its a dead m/b...

"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Simon Harris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm building a new system, using a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, new 450w PSU,
>> and an AMD Athlon 2600+ XP.
>>
>> When I power it up, the PSU and CPU fans switch on, then 1 second
>> later it shuts down. I have to power off at the mains to switch on
>> again.
>> I have the system setup * out of the case * with only a CPU, power
>> supply and power switch connected.
>>
>> I've tried 2 CPUs, and 2 power supplies (One of each in known to be
>> good working order)
>>
>> Have also tried the CPUs in another rig, and they work AOK.
>>
>> Have tried resetting the BIOS (Remove battery, short the jumpers).
>>
>> The only related jumper on the board I can see is the FSB which I had
>> set to 200mhz when I had a Duron 1000 in there, and default when I
>> had the 2600+ XP in.
>>
>> With no CPU installed, the fans stay on, and I get a voice message
>> 'No CPU Installed' (This particular m/b has voice diagnostic
>> messages).
>> Have I missed anything? Do I have a faulty M/B?

> Try resetting the cmos, CLRTC1 jumper.

It has removed 8264 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Rod Speed

Simon Harris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Thanks for your reply - I've already tried that. No luck.

> Any other ideas?

Try the latest bios.

> I'm thinking its a dead m/b...

Unlikely that it would die when you changed the cpu unless you
reefed it out of the socket and damaged that in the process.

> "Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Simon Harris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm building a new system, using a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, new 450w
>>> PSU, and an AMD Athlon 2600+ XP.
>>>
>>> When I power it up, the PSU and CPU fans switch on, then 1 second
>>> later it shuts down. I have to power off at the mains to switch on
>>> again.
>>> I have the system setup * out of the case * with only a CPU, power
>>> supply and power switch connected.
>>>
>>> I've tried 2 CPUs, and 2 power supplies (One of each in known to be
>>> good working order)
>>>
>>> Have also tried the CPUs in another rig, and they work AOK.
>>>
>>> Have tried resetting the BIOS (Remove battery, short the jumpers).
>>>
>>> The only related jumper on the board I can see is the FSB which I
>>> had set to 200mhz when I had a Duron 1000 in there, and default
>>> when I had the 2600+ XP in.
>>>
>>> With no CPU installed, the fans stay on, and I get a voice message
>>> 'No CPU Installed' (This particular m/b has voice diagnostic
>>> messages).
>>> Have I missed anything? Do I have a faulty M/B?

>> Try resetting the cmos, CLRTC1 jumper.

> It has removed 8264 spam emails to date.
> Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Rod Speed

Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Simon Harris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>> Thanks for your reply - I've already tried that. No luck.

>> Any other ideas?

> Try the latest bios.

>> I'm thinking its a dead m/b...

> Unlikely that it would die when you changed the cpu unless you
> reefed it out of the socket and damaged that in the process.

What happens if you go back to the Duron that it used to work with ?

If that doesnt work, you've likely killed it in the process of changing cpus.

>> "Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Try resetting the cmos, CLRTC1 jumper.

>> I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
>> It has removed 8264 spam emails to date.
>> Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
>> Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Simon Harris

The m/b came from a shop (brand new, but old stock) the Duron works AOK in
an older system I have, just not in the new board. I was very careful
installing the proc/heat sink/fan etc, using a wrist strap and the board was
resting on an anti-static bag.

I reckon its back to the shop for this one.

"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> Simon Harris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Thanks for your reply - I've already tried that. No luck.

>>> Any other ideas?

>> Try the latest bios.

>>> I'm thinking its a dead m/b...

>> Unlikely that it would die when you changed the cpu unless you
>> reefed it out of the socket and damaged that in the process.

> What happens if you go back to the Duron that it used to work with ?
>
> If that doesnt work, you've likely killed it in the process of changing
> cpus.
>

>>> "Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
>>> It has removed 8264 spam emails to date.
>>> Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
>>> Try SPAMfighter for free now!

It has removed 8264 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Alan

Simon Harris wrote:
> The m/b came from a shop (brand new, but old stock) the Duron works AOK in
> an older system I have, just not in the new board. I was very careful
> installing the proc/heat sink/fan etc, using a wrist strap and the board was
> resting on an anti-static bag.
>
> I reckon its back to the shop for this one.
>
> "Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> Simon Harris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> Try the latest bios.
>>> Unlikely that it would die when you changed the cpu unless you
>>> reefed it out of the socket and damaged that in the process.

>> What happens if you go back to the Duron that it used to work with ?
>>
>> If that doesnt work, you've likely killed it in the process of changing
>> cpus.

> It has removed 8264 spam emails to date.
> Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Sounds like the common denominator... Voice diagnostic sounds creepy,
but 100x better than decyphering the beeps!