Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > jerky mouse and desk top

jerky mouse and desk top

Clive Bundy

Hi
I wonder if someone would help me Please.
For no OBVIOUS reason my mouse has become jerky along with any movement of
windows etc on my desk top - there appears to be a delay moving things
around - BUT NOT ALWAYS!!!! I have cleaned and serviced the mouse a bog
standard version
My PC has XP home edition SP2 as its operating system. I have run a number
of loaded Virus programs and one or two online but can find no problem. It
is one of those thongs that is more a nuisance than anything _ unless there
is some deeper problem - if you see what I mean
TIA for any thoughts and suggestions
Clive

Evan Platt

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 18:51:11 +0100, "Clive Bundy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>I wonder if someone would help me Please.
>For no OBVIOUS reason my mouse has become jerky along with any movement of
>windows etc on my desk top - there appears to be a delay moving things
>around - BUT NOT ALWAYS!!!! I have cleaned and serviced the mouse a bog
>standard version
>My PC has XP home edition SP2 as its operating system. I have run a number
>of loaded Virus programs and one or two online but can find no problem. It
>is one of those thongs that is more a nuisance than anything _ unless there
>is some deeper problem - if you see what I mean
>TIA for any thoughts and suggestions

How old is the mouse?

Standard mouse with a trackball? (I have no idea what a "bog standard
version" is) Ditch it, get a laser or optical mouse.

dadiOH

Clive Bundy wrote:
> Hi
> I wonder if someone would help me Please.
> For no OBVIOUS reason my mouse has become jerky along with any
> movement of windows etc on my desk top - there appears to be a
> delay moving things around - BUT NOT ALWAYS!!!! I have cleaned and
> serviced the mouse a bog standard version
> My PC has XP home edition SP2 as its operating system. I have run a
> number of loaded Virus programs and one or two online but can find
> no problem. It is one of those thongs that is more a nuisance than
> anything _ unless there is some deeper problem - if you see what I
> mean
> TIA for any thoughts and suggestions
> Clive

It sounds to me as if the CPU is busy doing something else. Does XP
have an equivalent to the W98 System Monitor? You could use that to
check. Problem would be in finding out *what* was consuming the CPU
time.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Clive Bundy wrote:

> Hi
> I wonder if someone would help me Please.
> For no OBVIOUS reason my mouse has become jerky along with any movement of
> windows etc on my desk top - there appears to be a delay moving things
> around - BUT NOT ALWAYS!!!!

You can boot with open source livecds like DSL, Knoppix, Mepis etc to check
out the speed and general responsiveness of the hardware
http://www.livecdlist.com
and if there are no problems running off of the livecd
then you know it may be the ex-pee install thats been
borked (may need to hose it and re-install).

McWideGlide

"Clive Bundy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I wonder if someone would help me Please.
> For no OBVIOUS reason my mouse has become jerky along with any movement of
> windows etc on my desk top - there appears to be a delay moving things
> around - BUT NOT ALWAYS!!!! I have cleaned and serviced the mouse a bog
> standard version
> My PC has XP home edition SP2 as its operating system. I have run a number
> of loaded Virus programs and one or two online but can find no problem. It
> is one of those thongs that is more a nuisance than anything _ unless
> there is some deeper problem - if you see what I mean
> TIA for any thoughts and suggestions
> Clive

I once had that problem. It was caused by having more that one anti virus
program running at the same time. I opted to uninstall the trial version
that came with the computer and use Norton anti virus. No problems since.
good luck.