Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Satellite Internet Connections for VPN

Satellite Internet Connections for VPN

Steve Freides

Anyone know of any reason why a DirecWay internet connection would _not_
work for making a VPN connection over the Internet? A client of mine
who lives far from any telephone company central office wants to get
himself a static IP and set up a permanent VPN with his office, but I
have heard things about "latency" in satellite Internet connections
causing problems in some applications.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

Evan Platt

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 10:37:10 -0400, "Steve Freides"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone know of any reason why a DirecWay internet connection would _not_
>work for making a VPN connection over the Internet? A client of mine
>who lives far from any telephone company central office wants to get
>himself a static IP and set up a permanent VPN with his office, but I
>have heard things about "latency" in satellite Internet connections
>causing problems in some applications.

Port blocking by the ISP?

A NAT router not forwarding the proper ports?

A firewall?

Walter Mautner

Steve Freides wrote:

> Anyone know of any reason why a DirecWay internet connection would _not_
> work for making a VPN connection over the Internet? A client of mine
> who lives far from any telephone company central office wants to get
> himself a static IP and set up a permanent VPN with his office, but I
> have heard things about "latency" in satellite Internet connections
> causing problems in some applications.

Most satellite links go one-way only (the big dish for download, a modem for
sending requests). Besides latency, the routing paths are totally different
then, which might confuse vpn authentication gateways.

davidjchurchill@gmail.com

DirectWay (now Hughes) states quite clearly in the website that VPN
works much slower. I have tried it (I am a Hughes subscriber) with my
employer's VPN and basically the VPN did not function at all. As I
recall, it has to do with the compression used by the satellite
transmission - the VPN and the satellite-transmission compression are
not 100% compatible. It's not that the VPN is NOT supposed to work, I
suspect it just works so slowly that you may as well use a dial-up
connection.

Steve Freides wrote:
> Anyone know of any reason why a DirecWay internet connection would _not_
> work for making a VPN connection over the Internet? A client of mine
> who lives far from any telephone company central office wants to get
> himself a static IP and set up a permanent VPN with his office, but I
> have heard things about "latency" in satellite Internet connections
> causing problems in some applications.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

davidjchurchill@gmail.com

DirecWay (now Hughes) uses a fully two-way (duplex) satellite
transmission. These services USED to depend on dial-up modem for the
return path - not any longer (at least not on my system). Downstream
speed is about 700 kpbs for basic services, upstream is about 125 kpbs.