Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ubuntu Linux Video Problems

Ubuntu Linux Video Problems

Bosco836

I am fairly used to Linux and after experimenting with the Ubuntu Live
Cd, I recently decided to install Ubuntu (5.10) on my system. After
sucessfully installing it, the operating system begins to load and runs
the boot up tests, everything appears to be ok, until about half way
through when the screen suddenly goes blank. It will stay blank, until
I press the power button, and then the screen lights up again, where I
am prompted for the user name. As soon as I begin enter the user name,
the machine immediatly shuts down. Can anyone help me out here?

The video card in the system is an ATI X600 Pro.

Thanks,

Cicero

"Bosco836" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I am fairly used to Linux and after experimenting with the Ubuntu Live
> Cd, I recently decided to install Ubuntu (5.10) on my system. After
> sucessfully installing it, the operating system begins to load and runs
> the boot up tests, everything appears to be ok, until about half way
> through when the screen suddenly goes blank. It will stay blank, until
> I press the power button, and then the screen lights up again, where I
> am prompted for the user name. As soon as I begin enter the user name,
> the machine immediatly shuts down. Can anyone help me out here?
>
> The video card in the system is an ATI X600 Pro.
>
> Thanks,

=====================
I think it's probably a video bug in your version of Ubuntu (5.10). I had a
similar problem of self re-booting when I tried to change the screen
resolution. I changed to the latest version (6.06) which seems to have cured
this problem and I've been running bug-free for a week now.

It would be worth trying the on-board video if you've got it to see what
effect it has.

Cic.

----
It has removed 128 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Gordon

"Bosco836" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am fairly used to Linux and after experimenting with the Ubuntu Live
> Cd, I recently decided to install Ubuntu (5.10)

Why? 6.04 has been out for at LEAST two months.......