Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > old DOS games on windows XP

old DOS games on windows XP

Jennifer

Hi, everyone, I really need some advice on running old dos games on
windows XP, particularly sound. I have installed the VDMS emulator and
run the game with that but still no sounds. The game installer states
that DMA interrupt number isn't correct but I don't have much of an
idea what this is or what it should be. Thanks.

Ingeborg

Jennifer wrote:

> Hi, everyone, I really need some advice on running old dos games on
> windows XP, particularly sound. I have installed the VDMS emulator and
> run the game with that but still no sounds. The game installer states
> that DMA interrupt number isn't correct but I don't have much of an
> idea what this is or what it should be. Thanks.

Did you try dosbox? <http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/>

Jennifer

What is DOSbox? I really do know nothing about any of this.

Ingeborg

Jennifer wrote:

> What is DOSbox? I really do know nothing about any of this.

It's a virtual machine running dos, which main purpose is to run (old) dos
games on computers which don't run dos. (XP, but also Linux, Mac OS and
others.) Dune should run fine.
<http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?letter=D>

Jennifer

For anyone who cares- it's working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Doctor

"Jennifer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> For anyone who cares- it's
> working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A better response would be to publish what you did to make
it work.

Jennifer

If you were so smart you would know. I downloaded DOSbox, just like the
man suggested. Thanks for your input.

Jennifer

If you were so smart you would know. I downloaded DOSbox, just like the
man suggested. Thanks for your input.

Jennifer

If you were so smart you would know. I downloaded DOSbox, just like the
man suggested. Thanks for your input.

Jimchip

On 2006-08-01, Jennifer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If you were so smart you would know. I downloaded DOSbox, just like the
> man suggested. Thanks for your input.

And you made your point, in triplicate!

--
A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier to program
in than some that do. -- Dennis M. Ritchie