Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Samba 3 runs rings around Windows Server 2003 in file serving performance

Reply
Thread Tools

Samba 3 runs rings around Windows Server 2003 in file serving performance

 
 
DaveT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2003
test results - http://www.itweek.co.uk/ITWeek/itw_graph_1144289.jsp

Samba beats Windows
By Roger Howorth [13-10-2003]
Samba 3 runs rings around Windows Server 2003 in file serving performance


Tests by IT Week Labs show the latest version of the open-source Samba file
and print server software is 2.5 times faster than Windows Server 2003 in
the same role.

The news comes as many firms are grappling with the consequences of
Microsoft ending support for NT4, coupled with uncertainty about when
Microsoft will next update Windows. The performance difference between
Windows Server 2003 and Samba 3 has increased dramatically compared with
Samba 2 and Windows 2000 Server.

Samba provides file and print services to Windows PCs. It enables a Linux or
Unix server to work as a file server for client PCs running Windows
software. The new version also introduces support for Microsoft's Active
Directory for allocating and controlling user access rights.

Samba 3's scalability is as impressive as its performance. While Windows
performance scales up well initially, it then drops off quickly as more
clients access the server. In contrast, Samba 3 offered excellent throughput
up to the limit of our test, conducted on a low-spec Intel server.

Consequently, firms could save money on licence fees, and on hardware, by
using Samba instead of Windows servers. IT consultant Alan Munday, who
recommends Samba to his clients, said the resulting saving was a key
consideration for firms.

Munday is already using version 3 at some smaller sites. However, he was
dismissive of Active Directory. "I'm not [interested in the new Active
Directory features] because the primary focus for my smaller clients is to
migrate away from their ageing NT servers."



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jtyc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2003
> Samba 3 runs rings around Windows Server 2003 in file serving performance

http://www.atvnews.com/output.cfm?id=182071

Sport Quad Showdown
Eight Top Sport Quads Compete In Our 2003 Trials

Staff Report
ATV News
Wednesday April 2, 2003


For our 2003 ATV Trials, we gathered all the major manufacturers and their
machines to do several shootouts over a two-day testing period. Then we
recruited seven of our top test riders to put these sport machines through
their paces in the tough terrain in SoCal's Hungry Valley State Vehicular
Recreation Area.

Let's meet the players: Bombardier DS650, Cannondale Cannibal 440, Honda
Sportrax 400EX, Kawasaki KFX400, Polaris Predator, Suzuki Z400, plus the
Yamaha 660R Raptor and Banshee. We'll break down this comparison into four
categories: engine, chassis, handling, plus comfort and controls.

Engine
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

Though the majority of our test riders felt the Bombardier DS650 lacked
bottom-end power and ranked its overall power as average, it swept our
radar-run categories on the smooth and soft acceleration course. The DS was
the quickest from 0 to 30 mph, just edging the Yamaha Raptor. From zero, the
Bomb took less than 6.5 seconds to hit 45 mph, the fastest to that speed.
Even its mid-range acceleration figures - from 20 to 40 mph - bettered
everyone. The DS650's aggressive power matches its large size and unique
chassis and handling characteristics. Our evaluation crew understands the
DS650 is the fastest and quickest quad, but a few things (touchy gearbox,
short rev limiter, stiff clutch, loud vibrating engine) hurt the feel of its
power.

If the DS650 was the biggest surprise, engine wise, then the Cannondale
Cannibal was the easiest to predict. Most test riders rated it as the best
overall power package. All the test riders described the Cannibal as a speed
demon - diminished by a quirky drivetrain noise, loud revving motor, and a
slight vibration. The engine dictates that this quad be ridden fast. It wasn
't the quickest quad off the line (ranked mid-pack from 0 to 30 mph), but it
used its hearty mid-range power to notch the second-quickest time to 45 mph.
Seat-of-the-pants feel? The Cannondale is one of the fastest stock quads we'
ve ever tested. Most testers said, to get the best out of it, they needed to
ride it faster and harder than they anticipated. It's an aggressive ATV for
experienced riders only. The Cannibal's Carlisle Trail Wolf tires were a
nice surprise, adding to its power package.

ATV News
Cannondale Cannibal

Our Stalker radar system placed the Polaris Predator and Yamaha Raptor in
the top four for acceleration. Acceleration numbers don't tell the whole
story about an ATV's engine and its power. Our test riders were mixed with
their "scoring" of these two quads. Though they ranked closely to one
another, the Predator edged the Raptor in the engine department. Most test
riders said the Predator's powerband is similar to the Cannibal. This quad
isn't the quickest off the line, but it more than makes up for it with an
impressive midrange. It likes to be revved and ridden in the upper range of
the powerband, like the Cannondale. Those Maxxis tires add to the Predator's
power numbers, but make it more challenging to handle in aggressive corners.
Our test riders rated its clutch and tranny as average. Most were perplexed
with the odd noise and vibration the Predator transmitted, which Polaris
says is caused by the chain roller or guide.

ATV News


The Yamaha Raptor proved much more impressive in this terrain than in the
thick woods where we normally test it. That's obviously because the Raptor
can stretch it long legs and take full advantage of its five-speed gearbox.
This terrain also benefits the Raptor's powerband because, with less
traction, the Raptor isn't as quick to wheelie from a standstill as it does
in high-traction soil. The result was the second-quickest 0 to 30 mph time.
An average midrange puts the Raptor in the middle of the pack when pressed
to 45 mph. Some testers said the Raptor's clutch and transmission still need
some tweaking for it to be considered the best.

The Kawasaki KFX400 and Suzuki Z400 are both impressive in the engine
department, but their smaller engines kept them from contending for the
speed title. Both quads contend with the big-engine boys in the 0 to 30
acceleration times. They lose ground, however, when the speeds get higher
and runways longer. Along with the Yamaha Banshee and Honda 400EX, they
couldn't break the four-second barrier in the 20 to 40 mph category.

ATV News
Suzuki Z400

The Suzuki 400 four-stroke engine - which sits in both quads - makes for an
all-day joy ride. One tester said he had to reconfirm he was riding a
400cc-powered quad. Most test riders said the lower gears were sensitive and
the overall size of the quads made it hard to shift while riding
aggressively on our tight, grand prix-style test course. Overall, they aren'
t the fastest, but they can be ridden hard without feeling out of control.

The Yamaha Banshee is a unique ATV with an unmatched engine. During
acceleration runs, in the loose California soil, the Banshee isn't the
fastest off the line or the quickest to 45 mph. We know from experience,
however, the Banshee needs lots of room to hit its sweet spot - the top end.
A sluggish bottom end and less-than-thrilling midrange made the Banshee feel
slow in this challenge, but its favorable top-end is always a benefit. The
Banshee will always be admired for what it can do in the sand and on open
trails. By getting a feel for the Banshee's unique traction needs, some
riders can keep the rpm at the correct level and keep it in its sweet spot -
unlike a four-stroke.

Aside from the Banshee, it's hard to believe the Honda 400EX is the oldest
quad in this group. The quad that started the four-stroke revolution is now
considered slow, at least in this group. The other manufacturers benefit
from having new technologies and bigger power numbers. Our test Honda scored
a hat trick for the slowest acceleration times, mostly attributed to a slow
throttle response and subtle powerband. While the newer machines are
designed for a high-performance buyer (and to beat the 400EX) the Honda is
the sport ride for everyone. It has the most predictable powerband and most
test riders said it had the smoothest clutch and transmission.

Chassis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

We evaluate a chassis based on many characteristics, including suspension,
weight, braking, wheelbase, foot pegs, tires and wheels, and more.

We will do this segment alphabetically to be fair. The Bombardier is
extremely heavy - the only quad in this test to exceed 500 pounds, wet - but
its long-travel shocks, wheelbase and ground clearance can handle the
weight. The chassis is big in order to house the tall Rotax powerplant. The
weight is equally balanced on this big quad, making it stable and less
wheelie-prone. The suspension absorbs most of the rough stuff, including
whoops, but the front end still has a mind of its own in corners, whoops and
in loose dirt. The switch to Ohtsu tires helped this quad tremendously. Our
test riders said the DS has the best chassis and setup for open
cross-country riding. Several test riders said they felt comfortable going
fast in the deep sand washes on the DS650.

Cannondale's unique, hand-welded aluminum-CAAD style frame is lightweight
and the most attractive. Because the Cannibal weighs less than 400 pounds,
wet, the rider doesn't have to work as hard to counteract extra weight.

Some test riders said the Cannibal's suspension hurt its scoring in the
whoops because the front preload was off, and rear rebound was delayed. Most
ranked its rear shock much higher than the front pair. Because you need to
rev this quad and keep the speed up, the front suspension has to reassure
the rider it's safe to keep the speed high. Most test riders said the
Cannibal is blessed with good brakes, a nice seat-to-handlebars feel, and a
stable wheelbase. The change to multi-purpose Carlisle Trail Wolf tires
improved the Cannibal's traction in both the soft soil, mud and straightline
runs.

The 400EX is the only other ATV in this group to weigh less than 400 pounds,
wet. Its steel chassis has proven to be strong for all but the serious
endurance races. The spring preload adjustable front suspension will max out
on big jumps and needs to be stiffened for tackling serious whoops. We found
the ride bouncy as we tried to maintain speed through the chop. However, the
400EX's front end is light enough to lift over most difficult whoops or
obstacles.


ATV News
Honda 400EX
Compared to the other machines, test riders 6 foot or taller felt cramped on
the 400EX. The brakes and Ohtsu tires are good stock components. And the
chassis and power are a perfect match for this mild-mannered quad.

Kawasaki and Suzuki share the same steel-alloy frame. Twin preload
adjustable front shocks and a single tuneable rear shock supply good support
in their stock form, better than the Banshee and 400EX for sure. Our test
riders agreed they could ride our mini-GP-style course faster on the Kawi
and Suzuki than most of the quads we tested. Weighing slightly more than 400
pounds wet, these ATVs feel light thanks to their useable power. Both quads
use the same radial tires found on the Yamaha Raptor; they are high-quality,
high-performance tires on any terrain.

These two quads' designs mimic that of the 400EX. And they benefit from
having been designed four years after the Honda. The chassis, suspension and
engine work well together in all but the most extreme conditions. Most test
riders felt these two quads would be a perfect setup for the non-racer. They
both deliver a complete package without an intimidating or overpowering
engine.

At just a shade under 450 pounds, wet, the Polaris Predator is the new kid
in this group. Our test riders raved about the Predator's adjustable
suspension. It handled the whoops well and the back end didn't swap or
rebound too harshly either. On our pre-mapped test tracks - in the hardpack
and in the mud - every test rider complained that the Maxxis Razr rear tires
caused the Predator to slide too much, which slowed ride times. A few riders
also said the seat-to-handlebars setup was difficult to get used to.


ATV News
Polaris Predator
Of the two Yamahas, the Raptor has the superior and most up-to-date chassis
design - though every test rider said it felt "tippy" during our second day
of testing. The first day we rode in typically dry SoCal conditions. The
final day we tested in the rain and high-traction soil, which caused the
tall Raptor to push rather than slide through corners. The suspension is
extremely forgiving, much like the DS650.

The Raptor has a plush, long-travel suspension and is extremely forgiving,
much like the DS650. But with its short swingarm, however, the front end
likes to leave the ground, forcing riders to use a more active riding style.
The tires, wheels, foot pegs and brakes all received high scores from our
test riders.

The Banshee felt small to all but two of our test riders. Despite a mediocre
suspension and small stature, most test riders enjoyed riding this quad. The
fat, soft seat absorbs some of the harsh landings. Ground clearance and
suspension travel is adequate for smooth rides. But the suspension and power
make it difficult to tackle whoops; it's either skim the tops or crawl.


ATV News
Yamaha Banshee
The Banshee's unique powerband and "bald" rear tires make it a powerslider's
dream machine. Keep it revved and stay on the gas in the corners and it will
slide like no other quad. Lap times felt faster to our test riders, but they
usually weren't and were more tiring, too. The disc brakes make stopping
this speedster easy.

Best chassis? We voted for the DS650 for open desert riding, the Predator
and Cannibal for performance riding and Kawi and Suzuki for being good at
both.

Handling
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

The Banshee feels low to the ground and quite stable in all but seriously
rough conditions. Its heavy nose makes jumping less predictable and riding
in the whoops challenging. A low center of gravity, slideability and
high-revving nature make the Banshee a blast to corner.

On a smooth, open trail, there's nothing more fun than the Banshee. When the
trail gets gnarly and the speeds increase, however, the Banshee can be a
handful. As we've said, this is a result of a lazy suspension, fat front end
and average ground clearance. Climbing hills gets tricky, too, because of
the peaky powerband.

The Raptor is a fairly stable ATV when the trail conditions include fast,
wide and dry trails. This 660cc four-stroke is less predictable in narrow
woods courses on tacky soil. The tall, narrow chassis and long-travel
suspension makes the quad feel tippy. Exiting corners requires more clutch
manipulation, too, or the front end will jump off the ground. Once we got
used to the Raptor's handling quirks, however, our lap times and confidence
improved greatly.

The suspension is ideal for all but the biggest jumps, though that short
swingarm takes some getting used to. The light front end makes whoops riding
enjoyable. Climbing hills was easy.

ATV News
Yamaha Raptor

The Predator excels in the smooth, open areas where it can unwind its
aggressive powerband. It's stable in these conditions even at top speed.
When the trail gets rough, however, the suspension needs to be adjusted.
Thankfully, Polaris designed the Predator with a tuneable front and rear
suspension; on-the-fly changes - for jumps and whoops - are easy. Our test
riders said the Predator is a better handling ATV at trail speeds than it is
at slower speeds.

The lightning-fast front end is precise and very quick, unlike some of the
other quads in this test. That made it feel "twitchy" to a few test riders.
The front end stays in contact with the ground and the quad stays true in
the whoops.

The Kawasaki and Suzuki are perhaps the most stable of all these quads on
the straight, flat speed runs and smooth trails. And they are light enough
and blessed with ample power to make whoops and rough trails seem less
intimidating. Even when we increased the speeds and found more challenging
terrain, both ATVs were controllable. Jumping required normal rider input,
but did force some riders to change the suspension settings.

When faced with rain-soaked trail conditions, the Kawasaki and Suzuki felt
right at home and didn't require us to change our riding style. Their power
and handling are ideal for just about anything, except maybe a high-speed
desert race.

Like the other two 400s in this test, the Honda has predictable handling and
a controllable powerband. But it needs more power for high-speed runs on
smooth trails to compete with the newer models. It also needs more
suspension travel and adjustability for riding in ragged terrain. The 400EX
bounced through the whoops and caused our test riders to approach them
differently. Mid to large jumps taxed the suspension and the rebound can
make the 400EX hop. Its turning radius is excellent; a must for an ATV
without reverse.

ATV News
Kawasaki KFX 400

Most of our test riders enjoyed riding the Cannondale in every situation.
However, some felt only expert riders should ride this aggressive ATV. On
smooth, wide-open trails the Cannibal is a hot rocket. Riders must pay
attention when the speeds increase and terrain gets nasty. Keeping the
Cannibal in its sweet spot is harder in rough terrain.

Some test riders said the Cannnondale's front end wanted to "chart its own
course" in the whoops - a slight case of bump steer, perhaps. In this
Southern California crust, the Cannondale was a pleasant surprise because of
its great acceleration and chassis. The muddy course on Day 2 didn't
sidetrack the Cannibal; it handled the wet conditions swimmingly. Catching
air is okay on this bike because the suspension can absorb most hard
landings.

Because it's so large and heavy, the Bombardier is one of the most stable
quads in this group, especially in this terrain. For high-speed dashes down
desert trails or cross-country jaunts, the DS650 is awesome and has the
suspension to handle unsuspecting rough spots. All the test riders liked the
DS650 for its whoops riding abilities, but rated it behind the Predator,
Suzuki and Kawasaki.

On tight forest trails or deep, sandy washes, the DS650 isn't as easy to
operate because it doesn't have reverse. Hill climbs are a snap; just
remember the tight rev limiter and sometimes jerky front end.

ATV News
Bombardier DS650

Best handling? In open-desert conditions, the DS650 was our test riders'
favorite. For aggressive riding and racing, the Cannondale and Predator
shine. At trail speeds and for recreational use, the Suzuki and Kawasaki
400s were the easiest to ride and most fun.




Comfort and Controls
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

There isn't a clear winner of the Mr. Congeniality award because each rider
had his own preferences. The Predator and the DS650 have the most unique
looks of the bunch, however. The Bombardier has tire fenders instead of
front fenders. The Polaris has a strange gap between the front plastic and
rear fenders. The Banshee is out because it looks old. The 400EX needs
updated. The Cannondale looks like a bug. The Suzuki, Kawasaki and the
Raptor all look oddly similar.

The most comfortable seat goes to the DS650 (wrap-around front), and the
Suzuki and Kawasaki (narrow tank, fat back).

Handlebar width is different on all these ATVs, too. The Banshee's feel
short. The Raptor's feel tall. The DS650's feel wide and the Predator's feel
narrow and out of position. Our test riders were mixed about the narrow hand
grips and bars on the Cannibal. Kawasaki and Suzuki are as close to ideal as
possible. The 400EX's bars are nice, but were a little stiff to turn for
some riders. The lighting champ is the Bombardier, though the Raptor has
coolest-looking lights.

ATV News
Suzuki Z400

Our test riders gave high marks to every machine for overall quality. Some
said the new Polaris has proven "it's not a Scrambler," and though it needs
small improvements, it has lots of potential.

Mini-Shootouts
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

Because we know you will compare certain machines for certain reasons, we
did, too.

The DS650 and Raptor 660R are the desert, grand prix-style quads. The DS650
has proven more durable in desert racing and is ideal for large riders. The
Raptor is fun everywhere, except maybe a tight, twisty forest ride.

The Predator and Cannibal go head-to-head as the most race-ready quads. They
both want to be ridden hard and fast and both are blessed with aftermarket
type suspensions. We pick the Predator here because it has better power and
better handling - we can change those rear tires.


ATV News
Polaris Predator
The three 400s (Honda, Kawi and Suzuki) are arguably similar in style and
approach. The Honda lacks power, but can do the same stuff the new 400s can;
it's definitely the most predictable quad of the bunch. The new quads offer
more power, a better suspension and reverse.

That leaves the Banshee. First, it's the only two-stroke. Second, it's old
yet unique. Finally, it's been ridden everywhere, so feel free to compare it
to all these quads, some which specialize in conquering certain terrain.

Finally, our acceleration numbers in this SoCal terrain say the DS650,
Cannibal, Predator and Raptor should be comparable. Based on their times,
the three 400s and the Banshee would be another great four-quad shootout.


Winner
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

Our pick could change if we held the same shootout in a different location.
If we tested in the dense forests back east, or in the sand dunes, for
example. By a majority vote - four test riders - the Polaris Predator is our
2003 shootout winner.

The Predator has more power than the Suzuki and Kawasaki and is equal to the
Cannibal, Raptor and DS650. It didn't have the fastest acceleration times at
this location, but it was one of the top performers. Aside from the wrong
tire for this location, the Predator has the complete engine, chassis and
handling package riders want. Its highly adjustable suspension and
sub-$6,000 price take it over the top.

Two test riders picked the Suzuki and Kawasaki, equally, as their top quads.
They argue these quads are the best all-around performers, for the "average"
sport ATV rider. They said the two 400s have the most controllable engine
that combines the best with their chassis and handling.

One test rider said the Raptor has near-perfect power and that his lap times
were the quickest on the Yamaha. He liked the suspension for this location
and felt the Raptor offered the best comfort levels for him.

Like you, we have our own likes and dislikes about certain machines. Decide
what features you want in a quad and pick your own winner.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2003
D'oh!
And this applies to this newsgroup in what way?

--
Larry Samuels MS-MVP (Windows-Shell/User)
Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
http://home.earthlink.net/~larrysamuels/WS2003FAQ.htm
Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

"Jtyc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>>>irrelevant crap snipped



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jtyc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2003
> D'oh!
> And this applies to this newsgroup in what way?


It doesn't.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rowdy Yates
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2003
well good for you! but i still don't give a ****! so why don't you go off
and stay up all night and install samba 3 for yourself!

ry


"DaveT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:8vVpb.1583$(E-Mail Removed) :

 
Reply With Quote
 
Consultant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2003
oh it does, you just dont know it yet

"Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP (Shell/User)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> D'oh!
> And this applies to this newsgroup in what way?
>
> --
> Larry Samuels MS-MVP (Windows-Shell/User)
> Associate Expert
> Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
> http://home.earthlink.net/~larrysamuels/WS2003FAQ.htm
> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>
> "Jtyc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >>>>>irrelevant crap snipped

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
noone
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2003
wait until you see your next cert exam. it will have a
question something like: you need to configure 42 ATV's
for 3 different levels of performance hot, medium, slow.
from the information in the scenario, select the best
models to match with the criteria needed and explain
why...

>-----Original Message-----
>oh it does, you just dont know it yet
>
>"Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP (Shell/User)" <(E-Mail Removed)>

wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> D'oh!
>> And this applies to this newsgroup in what way?
>>
>> --
>> Larry Samuels MS-MVP (Windows-Shell/User)
>> Associate Expert
>> Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~larrysamuels/WS2003FAQ.htm
>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> "Jtyc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> >>>>>irrelevant crap snipped

>>
>>

>
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Rush
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2003
With all the virus's out there attacking the windows servers with secured
source code, how secure would you be running an opensource server?

Would you really consider trusting your enterprise and mission critical data
on an open source server?? Sounds scary to me...

Jeff

> Tests by IT Week Labs show the latest version of the open-source Samba

file
> and print server software is 2.5 times faster than Windows Server 2003 in
> the same role.



 
Reply With Quote
 
pheonix1t
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2003
Jeff Rush wrote:
> With all the virus's out there attacking the windows servers with secured
> source code, how secure would you be running an opensource server?
>
> Would you really consider trusting your enterprise and mission critical data
> on an open source server?? Sounds scary to me...
>

wow...this makes it abundantly clear how much you know (or actually
don't know). Viruses only work on MS products! In other words, a
microsoft virus doesn't do anything to other operating systems. So,
your desktops can be windows XP, but if your servers are Apple, Unix,
Linux, AS/400, VMS, etc., those servers ARE NOT affected by the viruses
that devastate the windows workstations.
It is possible to have security holes in your network, but this isn't
the same as problems with viruses. Most of the time, security holes in
networks are due to incompetent staff that didn't set up the network
correctly. (This is very common with firewalls).

Also, since it seems you don't know what you're talking about, a virus
is different from a security hole. Someone using telnet to access their
routers or servers is a security problem due to the data being
transmitted across in clear text. Telnet isn't a virus, it's a security
liability...or a security hole - it all depends on which side of the
firewall you're sitting on.
FYI, open-source products have a track record of being much more stable
and secure than microsoft products. I guess you don't know that Apache
is the most popular web server in the world, or that sendmail is the
most popular email server in the world. Most of these products run on
unix or linux machines!

Lastly, in regards to trusting your important data to open-source
products, a lot of Wall Street banks run linux or unix in their data
centers. I can't think of a better example of a mission-critical
setting. The reason why they only use unix or linux - MS isn't good
enough to handle that sort of data center environment! Do some research
and see for yourself. The high end of the server market is OWNED by
Unix, Linux is starting to get in there now. Mickeysoft has been trying
to get into the high end server market for years now! But due to all
the problems MS Windows has with serious security issues and a platform
that can't be trusted for anything very serious - they have not been
able to make any sort of serious market gains on the high end.
And now Linux has made them realize their aspirations for getting into
the high end of the market will have to wait even longer. Linux isn't
the answer to everything, but in a lot of cases, it's a far superior
choice to using windows. Hell, even for doing basic file/print sharing,
linux running Samba 3 blows away Win2k3! And, linux isn't affected by
viruses that would normally cause all sorts of problems for windows users!



> Jeff
>
>
>>Tests by IT Week Labs show the latest version of the open-source Samba

>
> file
>
>>and print server software is 2.5 times faster than Windows Server 2003 in
>>the same role.

>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2003
Get real!
Can you say "Slapper"?
Where the hell did you get the idea there are no Linux viruses?

Interesting that you would mention Sendmail, since that program had a
security hole that remained unpatched for 7 weeks.

--
Larry Samuels MS-MVP (Windows-Shell/User)
Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
http://home.earthlink.net/~larrysamuels/WS2003FAQ.htm
Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
"pheonix1t" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1Jiqb.1719$(E-Mail Removed) gy.com...
Viruses only work on MS products! In other words, a
> microsoft virus doesn't do anything to other operating systems. So,
> your desktops can be windows XP, but if your servers are Apple, Unix,
> Linux, AS/400, VMS, etc., those servers ARE NOT affected by the viruses
> that devastate the windows workstations.
> It is possible to have security holes in your network, but this isn't
> the same as problems with viruses. Most of the time, security holes in
> networks are due to incompetent staff that didn't set up the network
> correctly. (This is very common with firewalls).
>
> Also, since it seems you don't know what you're talking about, a virus
> is different from a security hole. Someone using telnet to access their
> routers or servers is a security problem due to the data being
> transmitted across in clear text. Telnet isn't a virus, it's a security
> liability...or a security hole - it all depends on which side of the
> firewall you're sitting on.
> FYI, open-source products have a track record of being much more stable
> and secure than microsoft products. I guess you don't know that Apache
> is the most popular web server in the world, or that sendmail is the
> most popular email server in the world. Most of these products run on
> unix or linux machines!
>
> Lastly, in regards to trusting your important data to open-source
> products, a lot of Wall Street banks run linux or unix in their data
> centers. I can't think of a better example of a mission-critical
> setting. The reason why they only use unix or linux - MS isn't good
> enough to handle that sort of data center environment! Do some research
> and see for yourself. The high end of the server market is OWNED by
> Unix, Linux is starting to get in there now. Mickeysoft has been trying
> to get into the high end server market for years now! But due to all
> the problems MS Windows has with serious security issues and a platform
> that can't be trusted for anything very serious - they have not been
> able to make any sort of serious market gains on the high end.
> And now Linux has made them realize their aspirations for getting into
> the high end of the market will have to wait even longer. Linux isn't
> the answer to everything, but in a lot of cases, it's a far superior
> choice to using windows. Hell, even for doing basic file/print sharing,
> linux running Samba 3 blows away Win2k3! And, linux isn't affected by
> viruses that would normally cause all sorts of problems for windows users!
>
>
>
> > Jeff
> >
> >
> >>Tests by IT Week Labs show the latest version of the open-source Samba

> >
> > file
> >
> >>and print server software is 2.5 times faster than Windows Server 2003

in
> >>the same role.

> >
> >
> >

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASO code runs much slower on Windows Server 2003 than on 2000 Tim Meagher ASP General 3 10-04-2005 04:13 PM
Printer/Fax Rings after numerous rings which is strange just ask Computer Support 3 06-12-2004 10:02 PM
LORD OF THE RINGS FELLOWSHIP OF THE RINGS SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE aeQea DVD Video 7 04-27-2004 04:02 PM
Samba 3 extends lead over Win 2003....newbie or wannabe mcse's - get a clue! DaveT MCSE 8 11-05-2003 08:54 PM
Samba beats Windows 2003 in file serving performance Dolly Computer Support 2 11-05-2003 02:29 PM



Advertisments