Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Samba 3 extends lead over Win 2003....newbie or wannabe mcse's - get a clue!

Samba 3 extends lead over Win 2003....newbie or wannabe mcse's - get a clue!

DaveT

By Roger Howorth [14-10-2003]
The latest Samba release shows Windows a clean pair of heels in file and
print peformance

Tests by IT Week Labs indicate that the latest version of the open-source
Samba file and print server software has widened the performance gap
separating it from the commercial Windows alternative.

Samba is an open-source implementation of the Common Internet File System
(CIFS) protocol used for file and print sharing by PCs running Microsoft
Windows. Samba 3, released last month, is a long-awaited upgrade that adds
important new features, most notably compatibility with Microsoft Active
Directory. Version 3 can be set up to authenticate users from an existing
Active Directory.

The latest benchmark results show an improvement over version 2, which
performed twice as fast as Windows 2000 Server when it was tested by IT Week
Labs last year. Overall, it now performs 2.5 times faster than Windows
Server 2003.

In terms of scalability, the gains of upgrading to Samba 3 are even more
striking. Last year we found that Samba could handle four times as many
clients as Windows 2000 before performance began to drop off. This year we
would need to upgrade our test network in order to identify the point where
Samba performance begins to fall in earnest.

IT managers say Samba's better performance means they can use cheaper
servers than would be possible with Windows software. And if they run Samba
in a completely open-source environment, such as on Linux, they could remove
the cost of Windows server licences. Samba is available free of charge for
commercial Unix versions including IBM AIX, HP-UX and Solaris. It is also
available for various versions of Linux, Novell NetWare and VMS.

The IT Week Labs tests used Ziff-Davis NetBench file server benchmark with
48 client systems. We selected a low-specification but otherwise modern
server for our tests. We used an HP ProLiant BL10 eClass Server fitted with
a 900MHz Pentium III chip, a single 40GB ATA hard disk and 512MB of RAM. We
did not tune any of the software to improve performance.

Each NetBench client makes a constant stream of file requests to the server
under test, whereas in real-world environments many users would remain idle
for long periods. Consequently our test environment simulates the workload
of some 500 client PCs in a typical production environment.

Marlin Munrow

Been on many sites (mainly academic) where samba is a mainstay in the
last 6 years. I have to say it is an integrators dream and night mare
rolled into one.

It promises much, looks stable on the surface, but would you run the
space shuttle on it ? no.

Granted its been a while and the article looks interesting, can you
provide a link ?

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:05:03 GMT, "DaveT" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>By Roger Howorth [14-10-2003]
>The latest Samba release shows Windows a clean pair of heels in file and
>print peformance
>

>Tests by IT Week Labs indicate that the latest version of the open-source
>Samba file and print server software has widened the performance gap
>separating it from the commercial Windows alternative.
>
>Samba is an open-source implementation of the Common Internet File System
>(CIFS) protocol used for file and print sharing by PCs running Microsoft
>Windows. Samba 3, released last month, is a long-awaited upgrade that adds
>important new features, most notably compatibility with Microsoft Active
>Directory. Version 3 can be set up to authenticate users from an existing
>Active Directory.
>
>The latest benchmark results show an improvement over version 2, which
>performed twice as fast as Windows 2000 Server when it was tested by IT Week
>Labs last year. Overall, it now performs 2.5 times faster than Windows
>Server 2003.
>
>In terms of scalability, the gains of upgrading to Samba 3 are even more
>striking. Last year we found that Samba could handle four times as many
>clients as Windows 2000 before performance began to drop off. This year we
>would need to upgrade our test network in order to identify the point where
>Samba performance begins to fall in earnest.
>
>IT managers say Samba's better performance means they can use cheaper
>servers than would be possible with Windows software. And if they run Samba
>in a completely open-source environment, such as on Linux, they could remove
>the cost of Windows server licences. Samba is available free of charge for
>commercial Unix versions including IBM AIX, HP-UX and Solaris. It is also
>available for various versions of Linux, Novell NetWare and VMS.
>
>The IT Week Labs tests used Ziff-Davis NetBench file server benchmark with
>48 client systems. We selected a low-specification but otherwise modern
>server for our tests. We used an HP ProLiant BL10 eClass Server fitted with
>a 900MHz Pentium III chip, a single 40GB ATA hard disk and 512MB of RAM. We
>did not tune any of the software to improve performance.
>
>Each NetBench client makes a constant stream of file requests to the server
>under test, whereas in real-world environments many users would remain idle
>for long periods. Consequently our test environment simulates the workload
>of some 500 client PCs in a typical production environment.

DaveT

Been on many sites (mainly academic) where samba is a mainstay in the
last 6 years. I have to say it is an integrators dream and night mare
rolled into one.

It promises much, looks stable on the surface, but would you run the
space shuttle on it ? no.

Granted its been a while and the article looks interesting, can you
provide a link ?
here you go...
http://www.itweek.co.uk/ITWeek/itw_graph_1144289.jsp - test results

http://www.itweek.co.uk/news/1144289 - test article

Consultant

so go use samba, who cares

"DaveT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CdWpb.182$(E-Mail Removed) y.com...

> Been on many sites (mainly academic) where samba is a mainstay in the
> last 6 years. I have to say it is an integrators dream and night mare
> rolled into one.
>
> It promises much, looks stable on the surface, but would you run the
> space shuttle on it ? no.
>
> Granted its been a while and the article looks interesting, can you
> provide a link ?
> here you go...
> http://www.itweek.co.uk/ITWeek/itw_graph_1144289.jsp - test results
>
> http://www.itweek.co.uk/news/1144289 - test article

Jtyc

> so go use samba, who cares

Papa loves samba,

Mama loves samba,

Look at 'em sway with it,

gettin' so gay with it

Shoutin' "olé" with it, wow! (ooh!)

Papa loves samba (Papa loves samba)

Mama loves samba (Mama loves samba)

Papa does great with it,

swings like a gate with it

Evens his weight with it, now!

He goes to... she goes fro...

He goes fast... she goes slow...

He goes left... 'n' she goes right (Papa's lookin' for mama but mama is
nowhere in sight)

Papa loves samba

Mama loves samba

Havin' their fling again,

younger than Spring again

Feelin' that zing again, wow! (ooh!)

Papa loves samba (Papa loves samba)

Mama loves samba (Mama loves samba)

Don't let her rumba and don't let her samba 'cause papa loves mama tonight
(ooh!) (Papa loves samba) (Mama loves samba) (Papa loves samba) (Mama loves
samba)

He goes to... she goes fro...

He goes fast... she goes slow...

He goes left.... 'n' she goes right (Papa's lookin' for mama but mama is
nowhere in sight) (ooh!)

Papa loves samba (Papa loves samba)

Mama loves samba (Mama loves samba)

Havin' their fling again,

younger than Spring again

Feelin' that zing again, wow! (ooh!)

(Papa loves samba) Samba papa (Mama loves samba)

Samba mama (Don't let her rumba and don't let her samba) 'cause papa-- Loves
a samba tonight (ooh!)

Waite, James

Thanks Perry....

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > so go use samba, who cares

> Papa loves samba,
>
> Mama loves samba,
>
> Look at 'em sway with it,
>
> gettin' so gay with it
>
> Shoutin' "olé" with it, wow! (ooh!)
>
> Papa loves samba (Papa loves samba)
>
> Mama loves samba (Mama loves samba)
>
> Papa does great with it,
>
> swings like a gate with it
>
> Evens his weight with it, now!
>
> He goes to... she goes fro...
>
> He goes fast... she goes slow...
>
> He goes left... 'n' she goes right (Papa's lookin' for mama but mama is
> nowhere in sight)
>
> Papa loves samba
>
> Mama loves samba
>
> Havin' their fling again,
>
> younger than Spring again
>
> Feelin' that zing again, wow! (ooh!)
>
> Papa loves samba (Papa loves samba)
>
> Mama loves samba (Mama loves samba)
>
> Don't let her rumba and don't let her samba 'cause papa loves mama tonight
> (ooh!) (Papa loves samba) (Mama loves samba) (Papa loves samba) (Mama

loves
> samba)
>
> He goes to... she goes fro...
>
> He goes fast... she goes slow...
>
> He goes left.... 'n' she goes right (Papa's lookin' for mama but mama is
> nowhere in sight) (ooh!)
>
> Papa loves samba (Papa loves samba)
>
> Mama loves samba (Mama loves samba)
>
> Havin' their fling again,
>
> younger than Spring again
>
> Feelin' that zing again, wow! (ooh!)
>
> (Papa loves samba) Samba papa (Mama loves samba)
>
> Samba mama (Don't let her rumba and don't let her samba) 'cause papa--

Loves
> a samba tonight (ooh!)

Jtyc

> Thanks Perry....

You are most welcome.

Dragon

Were you that bored?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > so go use samba, who cares

> Papa loves samba,
>
> Mama loves samba,
>
> Look at 'em sway with it,
>
> gettin' so gay with it
>
> Shoutin' "olé" with it, wow! (ooh!)
>
> Papa loves samba (Papa loves samba)
>
> Mama loves samba (Mama loves samba)
>
> Papa does great with it,
>
> swings like a gate with it
>
> Evens his weight with it, now!
>
> He goes to... she goes fro...
>
> He goes fast... she goes slow...
>
> He goes left... 'n' she goes right (Papa's lookin' for mama but mama is
> nowhere in sight)
>
> Papa loves samba
>
> Mama loves samba
>
> Havin' their fling again,
>
> younger than Spring again
>
> Feelin' that zing again, wow! (ooh!)
>
> Papa loves samba (Papa loves samba)
>
> Mama loves samba (Mama loves samba)
>
> Don't let her rumba and don't let her samba 'cause papa loves mama tonight
> (ooh!) (Papa loves samba) (Mama loves samba) (Papa loves samba) (Mama

loves
> samba)
>
> He goes to... she goes fro...
>
> He goes fast... she goes slow...
>
> He goes left.... 'n' she goes right (Papa's lookin' for mama but mama is
> nowhere in sight) (ooh!)
>
> Papa loves samba (Papa loves samba)
>
> Mama loves samba (Mama loves samba)
>
> Havin' their fling again,
>
> younger than Spring again
>
> Feelin' that zing again, wow! (ooh!)
>
> (Papa loves samba) Samba papa (Mama loves samba)
>
> Samba mama (Don't let her rumba and don't let her samba) 'cause papa--

Loves
> a samba tonight (ooh!)

Jtyc

> Were you that bored?

Perry Como just happens to be high on my hit list, that's all.