Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > file missing or corrupt

file missing or corrupt

dingalingdeb

I have no idea what to do or how these things are related. On my other
computer, windows xp a thing came up saying that the virus protector Avast!
had expired and did I want to .... get a new key good for another 14 months,
or update (or something like that) - I clicked on 'get a new key' and then
clicked 'ok' Then the screen went blank and 'this' came up: 'Windows could
not start because the following file is missing or corrupt System
32\Drivers\ntfs.sys You can attempt to repair this file by startin
windows setup using the original setup CD - ROM Well, I didn't have the
original and had a disk the guy gave us the last time that the computer was
in the shop and called 'backup' so I put the disk in and a little something
happens to where it says: Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair -
what first screen? nothing else happens and I haven't a clue what to do. Any
help would be much appreciated.

deb

Duane Arnold

"dingalingdeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have no idea what to do or how these things are related. On my other
>computer, windows xp a thing came up saying that the virus protector
>Avast! had expired and did I want to .... get a new key good for another 14
>months, or update (or something like that) - I clicked on 'get a new key'
>and then clicked 'ok' Then the screen went blank and 'this' came up:
>'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
>System 32\Drivers\ntfs.sys You can attempt to repair this file by
>startin windows setup using the original setup CD - ROM Well, I didn't
>have the original and had a disk the guy gave us the last time that the
>computer was in the shop and called 'backup' so I put the disk in and a
>little something happens to where it says: Select 'r' at the first screen
>to start repair - what first screen? nothing else happens and I haven't a
>clue what to do. Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> deb

What it means is go buy a legal copy of the XP O/S, configure the BIOS to
boot from the CD, and do an upgrade over the top of the existing O/S
laying/installing the O/S over the top of itself. The upgrade over the top,
will not destroy existing programs or settings. However, you will need to
apply/install the service pack and any hot fixes to the O/S as those are
lost.

Duane

Toolman Tim

Duane Arnold wrote:
> "dingalingdeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I have no idea what to do or how these things are related. On my
>> other computer, windows xp a thing came up saying that the virus
>> protector Avast! had expired and did I want to .... get a new key
>> good for another 14 months, or update (or something like that) - I
>> clicked on 'get a new key' and then clicked 'ok' Then the screen
>> went blank and 'this' came up: 'Windows could not start because the
>> following file is missing or corrupt System 32\Drivers\ntfs.sys You
>> can attempt to repair this file by startin windows setup using
>> the original setup CD - ROM Well, I didn't have the original
>> and had a disk the guy gave us the last time that the computer was
>> in the shop and called 'backup' so I put the disk in and a little
>> something happens to where it says: Select 'r' at the first screen
>> to start repair - what first screen? nothing else happens and I
>> haven't a clue what to do. Any help would be much appreciated. deb

> What it means is go buy a legal copy of the XP O/S, configure the
> BIOS to boot from the CD, and do an upgrade over the top of the
> existing O/S laying/installing the O/S over the top of itself. The
> upgrade over the top, will not destroy existing programs or settings.
> However, you will need to apply/install the service pack and any hot
> fixes to the O/S as those are lost.
>
> Duane

She may HAVE a legal copy of the OS. But, like many OEM systems, she may
only have "recovery" discs. If she were to "borrow" a CD from a family
member or neighbor or friend, she could do the repair like this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555531/en-us

Ben Myers

See http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310994
about creating a set of Windows XP boot disks. Microsoft says 6
floppies are needed, but you may be able to get by with reusing the
same one over and over, provided you make a copy of "ntfs.sys" from
disk #5 before creating disk #6. Start the problem computer with the
floppies, press "r", log onto Windows XP, insert a floppy containing
the "ntfs.sys" file you copied, then type
"copy a:\ntfs.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers" and press "Enter".
You may have to change the "copy " command line if Windows is
installed in a directory other than "c:\windows". Don't forget to
remove the floppy before restarting.

Ben

"dingalingdeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:0fVyg.145564$I61.122766@clgrps13...
> I have no idea what to do or how these things are related. On my other
> computer, windows xp a thing came up saying that the virus protector Avast!
> had expired and did I want to .... get a new key good for another 14 months,
> or update (or something like that) - I clicked on 'get a new key' and then
> clicked 'ok' Then the screen went blank and 'this' came up: 'Windows could
> not start because the following file is missing or corrupt System
> 32\Drivers\ntfs.sys You can attempt to repair this file by startin
> windows setup using the original setup CD - ROM Well, I didn't have the
> original and had a disk the guy gave us the last time that the computer was
> in the shop and called 'backup' so I put the disk in and a little something
> happens to where it says: Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair -
> what first screen? nothing else happens and I haven't a clue what to do. Any
> help would be much appreciated.
>
> deb

Toolman Tim

Ben Myers wrote:
> See http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310994
> about creating a set of Windows XP boot disks. Microsoft says 6
> floppies are needed, but you may be able to get by with reusing the
> same one over and over, provided you make a copy of "ntfs.sys" from
> disk #5 before creating disk #6.

VERY cool trick! I hadn't thought about that.

ProfGene

dingalingdeb wrote:
> I have no idea what to do or how these things are related. On my other
> computer, windows xp a thing came up saying that the virus protector Avast!
> had expired and did I want to .... get a new key good for another 14 months,
> or update (or something like that) - I clicked on 'get a new key' and then
> clicked 'ok' Then the screen went blank and 'this' came up: 'Windows could
> not start because the following file is missing or corrupt System
> 32\Drivers\ntfs.sys You can attempt to repair this file by startin
> windows setup using the original setup CD - ROM Well, I didn't have the
> original and had a disk the guy gave us the last time that the computer was
> in the shop and called 'backup' so I put the disk in and a little something
> happens to where it says: Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair -
> what first screen? nothing else happens and I haven't a clue what to do. Any
> help would be much appreciated.
>
> deb

If you don't have the original disk then the only thing to try is boot
up to the safe mode by hitting f8 and see if you can restore to an
earlier time when the computer worked because if that doesn't work and
Windows is corrupted to the point where you cannot do anything you will
need a copy of Windows to reinstall the operating system.

dingalingdeb

Thanks all for your help. You'll nver believe what happened. I'd shut the
computer down (had done it a few times while messing with it when I hoped I
could somehow fix it) and then last night hubby turned it on and it worked!
leaving me scratching my head. Happy that it did, but wonder why? how?
Anyway,since th whole thing started over it's telling me that Avast! had
expired., I'm thinking of changing my virus protector - using AVG - I 'will'
have to do something, won't I? I thought I'd try installing AVG 'before'
deleting Avast.... I"m scared to try to do 'anything' in case it goes
haywire again. Any suggestions?

dingaling deb

"dingalingdeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have no idea what to do or how these things are related. On my other
>computer, windows xp a thing came up saying that the virus protector
>Avast! had expired and did I want to .... get a new key good for another 14
>months, or update (or something like that) - I clicked on 'get a new key'
>and then clicked 'ok' Then the screen went blank and 'this' came up:
>'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
>System 32\Drivers\ntfs.sys You can attempt to repair this file by
>startin windows setup using the original setup CD - ROM Well, I didn't
>have the original and had a disk the guy gave us the last time that the
>computer was in the shop and called 'backup' so I put the disk in and a
>little something happens to where it says: Select 'r' at the first screen
>to start repair - what first screen? nothing else happens and I haven't a
>clue what to do. Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> deb

Jimchip

On 2006-08-01, dingalingdeb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks all for your help. You'll nver believe what happened. I'd shut the
> computer down (had done it a few times while messing with it when I hoped I
> could somehow fix it) and then last night hubby turned it on and it worked!
> leaving me scratching my head. Happy that it did, but wonder why? how?
> Anyway,since th whole thing started over it's telling me that Avast! had
> expired., I'm thinking of changing my virus protector - using AVG - I 'will'
> have to do something, won't I? I thought I'd try installing AVG 'before'
> deleting Avast.... I"m scared to try to do 'anything' in case it goes
> haywire again. Any suggestions?

Just allow Avast to update it's database. It updates almost daily, which
is good. AVG is not nearly as good, IMO.

[snip]

--
A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier to program
in than some that do. -- Dennis M. Ritchie

Toolman Tim

dingalingdeb wrote:
> Thanks all for your help. You'll nver believe what happened. I'd shut
> the computer down (had done it a few times while messing with it when
> I hoped I could somehow fix it) and then last night hubby turned it
> on and it worked! leaving me scratching my head. Happy that it did,
> but wonder why? how? Anyway,since th whole thing started over it's
> telling me that Avast! had expired., I'm thinking of changing my
> virus protector - using AVG - I 'will' have to do something, won't I?
> I thought I'd try installing AVG 'before' deleting Avast.... I"m
> scared to try to do 'anything' in case it goes haywire again. Any
> suggestions?

Leave the AV alone - it's very unlikely that Avast (or any other AV program)
would have caused this problem.

I'd be much more worried about the integrity of the files on the hard drive.
You should seriously consider running chkdsk /f from a command prompt or
recovery console to be certain that the hard drive isn't beginning to have
faults.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dingalingdeb wrote:

> Anyway,since th whole thing started over it's telling me that Avast!
> had expired.,

Avast Free expires every fourteen months. Just re-register it at their
web site, and paste in the new key from the email you get.

Painless. And nothing to do with your other problem.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer