Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Outlook Express Messages Disappear, Bookmarks in Internet Explorer Disappear

Outlook Express Messages Disappear, Bookmarks in Internet Explorer Disappear

rchrdcarlisle@NOTyahoo.com

I rebooted my computer and when it came back up all my messages in
outlook express were no longer there and the program acted as if I was
starting anew requiring me to put in my personal information. Also my
bookmarks in Internet explorer disappeared. Many of the icons on my
desktop also disappeared.

I checked to see if I had a virus and did not.

I tried to do a system restore but it said that there were no previous
dates to restore.

Is there any way I can retrieve the lose messages and bookmarks?

I am running Windows XP personal on a Dell Dimension about two years
old.

Thanx.

RC

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

> I rebooted my computer and when it came back up all my messages in
> outlook express were no longer there and the program acted as if I
> was starting anew requiring me to put in my personal information.
> Also my bookmarks in Internet explorer disappeared. Many of the icons
> on my desktop also disappeared.

Sounds to me as if you booted to a new profile (user name). Have you
re-rebooted yet?

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Toolman Tim

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I rebooted my computer and when it came back up all my messages in
> outlook express were no longer there and the program acted as if I was
> starting anew requiring me to put in my personal information. Also my
> bookmarks in Internet explorer disappeared. Many of the icons on my
> desktop also disappeared.
>
> I checked to see if I had a virus and did not.
>
> I tried to do a system restore but it said that there were no previous
> dates to restore.
>
> Is there any way I can retrieve the lose messages and bookmarks?
>
> I am running Windows XP personal on a Dell Dimension about two years
> old.
>
> Thanx.
>
> RC

Look in C:\documents and settings\ and see if there are TWO of you now. I've
had that happen at work. Somehow Windows logged the user in as an alternate
user with the same name. Never did find out why. The good news is this: your
data is NOT LOST. However, I was never able to figure out how to get the
original user configuration to work again.

If I'm correct about the two nearly identical user names in the above
folder, post back and I'll talk you through recovering your data from the
original user configuration.

rchrdcarlisle@NOTyahoo.com

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:42:36 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I rebooted my computer and when it came back up all my messages in
>> outlook express were no longer there and the program acted as if I was
>> starting anew requiring me to put in my personal information. Also my
>> bookmarks in Internet explorer disappeared. Many of the icons on my
>> desktop also disappeared.
>>
>> I checked to see if I had a virus and did not.
>>
>> I tried to do a system restore but it said that there were no previous
>> dates to restore.
>>
>> Is there any way I can retrieve the lose messages and bookmarks?
>>
>> I am running Windows XP personal on a Dell Dimension about two years
>> old.
>>
>> Thanx.
>>
>> RC

>Look in C:\documents and settings\ and see if there are TWO of you now.

When you say two of me do you mean that my name is listed twice? I
only see my name listed once. There are three folders in
documents/settings including Administrator, owner and my name. I don't
think it set up another identity.

> I've
>had that happen at work. Somehow Windows logged the user in as an alternate
>user with the same name. Never did find out why. The good news is this: your
>data is NOT LOST. However, I was never able to figure out how to get the
>original user configuration to work again.
>
>If I'm correct about the two nearly identical user names in the above
>folder, post back and I'll talk you through recovering your data from the
>original user configuration.

Thanx for the offer but it does not seem to be the problem. Any other
ideas?

I called Dell and of course it is not covered under the three year
warranty that I bought. They want another $100 to fix this problem.

I am running another anti-virus program to see if I have a virus as
the first program came up clean. I have an up to date virus scanner
(AVG).

The weird thing is that it got rid of a bunch of icons but the
programs were still there. When I opened the programs all my email was
gone from outlook express but in my newgroups reader "agent" all the
groups I subscribe to with all messages were intact.

Thanx,

RC

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> When I opened the programs all my email was gone from outlook express

New user/profile has no settings and messages.

> but in my newgroups reader "agent" all the groups I subscribe to with
> all messages were intact.

Your newsreader was installed so any user could access it. Yep, you are
definitely logged in as a "new" person.

--

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:42:36 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I rebooted my computer and when it came back up all my messages in
>>> outlook express were no longer there and the program acted as if I
>>> was starting anew requiring me to put in my personal information.
>>> Also my bookmarks in Internet explorer disappeared. Many of the
>>> icons on my desktop also disappeared.
>>>
>>> I checked to see if I had a virus and did not.
>>>
>>> I tried to do a system restore but it said that there were no
>>> previous dates to restore.
>>>
>>> Is there any way I can retrieve the lose messages and bookmarks?
>>>
>>> I am running Windows XP personal on a Dell Dimension about two years
>>> old.
>>>
>>> Thanx.
>>>
>>> RC

>> Look in C:\documents and settings\ and see if there are TWO of you
>> now.

> When you say two of me do you mean that my name is listed twice? I
> only see my name listed once. There are three folders in
> documents/settings including Administrator, owner and my name. I don't
> think it set up another identity.
>

>> I've
>> had that happen at work. Somehow Windows logged the user in as an
>> alternate user with the same name.

> Thanx for the offer but it does not seem to be the problem. Any other
> ideas?
>
> I called Dell and of course it is not covered under the three year
> warranty that I bought. They want another $100 to fix this problem.

Dell probably wouldn't be able to fix it anyway <grin>.

> The weird thing is that it got rid of a bunch of icons but the
> programs were still there.

Not weird. Most programs are not assigned to user profiles. So profile
errors do not usually affect programs.

> When I opened the programs all my email was
> gone from outlook express but in my newgroups reader "agent" all the
> groups I subscribe to with all messages were intact.

How about your address book (contacts) in OE? Or your data files in My
Documents? Things like that. If they are in the correct place, and OE is the
only thing that has a problem with missing data, then you could search for
the *.dbx files OE stores data in, and try to import them back into OE.

You might want to look at the "My Documents" folder in both the Owner and
your named profile. It could be that you were inadvertantly using the
"Owner" account previously (that, unfortunately, is default in the Dell OEM
installation if the OS had ever been reinstalled). So your data (desktop
icons, IE favorites, OE data, etc.) are actually in the Owner account, and
you're now logged in using your named account (or vice-versa).

rchrdcarlisle@NOTyahoo.com

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 18:32:45 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:42:36 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Look in C:\documents and settings\ and see if there are TWO of you
>>> now.

>> When you say two of me do you mean that my name is listed twice? I
>> only see my name listed once. There are three folders in
>> documents/settings including Administrator, owner and my name. I don't
>> think it set up another identity.
>>

>>> I've
>>> had that happen at work. Somehow Windows logged the user in as an
>>> alternate user with the same name.

>> Thanx for the offer but it does not seem to be the problem. Any other
>> ideas?
>>
>> I called Dell and of course it is not covered under the three year
>> warranty that I bought. They want another $100 to fix this problem.
>>

>Dell probably wouldn't be able to fix it anyway <grin>.
>
>> The weird thing is that it got rid of a bunch of icons but the
>> programs were still there.

>Not weird. Most programs are not assigned to user profiles. So profile
>errors do not usually affect programs.
>
>> When I opened the programs all my email was
>> gone from outlook express but in my newgroups reader "agent" all the
>> groups I subscribe to with all messages were intact.

>How about your address book (contacts) in OE?

All my addresses were deleted. I had to completely reconfigure OE with
my new identity and smpt and pop server. It was as if I just installed
the program.

I think that I am logged in as owner instead of under my name. The
bookmarks for Internet Explorer are bookmarks listed under the owner
and all the bookmarks listed under my name are not there. But I cannot
seem to be able to import the bookmarks as I keep getting error
message.

How do I switch identities from owner to my name?

Thanx.

RC

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So your data (desktop
>icons, IE favorites, OE data, etc.) are actually in the Owner account, and
>you're now logged in using your named account (or vice-versa).

After I ran my virus program everything checked out OK except for the
following three items for which it said "changed" under status instead
of "OK":

windows\system32\user32.dll
windows\system32\shell32.dll
windows\system32\ntoskml.dll

Does this indicate that the user was changed?

Thanx.

RC

Toolman Tim

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 18:32:45 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> So your data (desktop
>> icons, IE favorites, OE data, etc.) are actually in the Owner
>> account, and you're now logged in using your named account (or
>> vice-versa).

> After I ran my virus program everything checked out OK except for the
> following three items for which it said "changed" under status instead
> of "OK":
>
> windows\system32\user32.dll
> windows\system32\shell32.dll
> windows\system32\ntoskml.dll
>
> Does this indicate that the user was changed?
>
> Thanx.
>
> RC

That I don't know. Typically, those are files that might be changed by
Windows Updates or service packs or such IIRC.

Toolman Tim

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 18:32:45 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> When you say two of me do you mean that my name is listed twice? I
>>> only see my name listed once. There are three folders in
>>> documents/settings including Administrator, owner and my name. I
>>> don't think it set up another identity.
>>>

>> How about your address book (contacts) in OE?
>> Or your data files in My
>> Documents? Things like that. If they are in the correct place, and
>> OE is the only thing that has a problem with missing data, then you
>> could search for the *.dbx files OE stores data in, and try to
>> import them back into OE.
>>
>> You might want to look at the "My Documents" folder in both the
>> Owner and your named profile. It could be that you were
>> inadvertantly using the "Owner" account previously (that,
>> unfortunately, is default in the Dell OEM installation if the OS had
>> ever been reinstalled). So your data (desktop icons, IE favorites,
>> OE data, etc.) are actually in the Owner account, and you're now
>> logged in using your named account (or vice-versa).

> All my addresses were deleted. I had to completely reconfigure OE with
> my new identity and smpt and pop server. It was as if I just installed
> the program.
>
> I think that I am logged in as owner instead of under my name. The
> bookmarks for Internet Explorer are bookmarks listed under the owner
> and all the bookmarks listed under my name are not there. But I cannot
> seem to be able to import the bookmarks as I keep getting error
> message.

WHAT error message?

> How do I switch identities from owner to my name?

Okay. You should probably start by copying the data you need over to the
account that Windows has you logging into. You said above that the IE
Favorites would not copy - don't do this in IE, do this in Windows Explorer.
Typically, I open two windows - one for each "user". Then drag the favorites
from the missing account to the current one. I'd suggest doing the same for
the Desktop as well, and My Documents, and My Music, My Pictures, all those
data related files. Because eventually, you will want to delete the extra
account(s).

As for the email, you need to find the data store folder, and the address
book. You can copy the address book like the above process. Here's where you
should find it:
C:\Documents and Settings\(your name)\Application Data\Microsoft\Address
Book\

Getting the data back that was in your email account is a little trickier.
You have to use OE File, Import, and import from the Store Folder, which
should be here:
C:\Documents and Settings\(your name)\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{2C9F6590-70F7-40B3-A9FE-8DFF018427B8}\Microsoft\Outlook
Express

Note that the GID (the bracketed info above) will be different for your
account, but it will be the same format.

After you get ALL the data safely copied, and everything is working
correctly, then you can delete the old account. Then you have two options:
1) rename the "Owner" account and continue to use it, or 2) create a new
account with the correct user name, do the WHOLE PROCESS above again to
transfer data into this new user account, then delete the Owner account. The
only advantage of the second option, is it gives you the correct user name
in the C:\documents and settings folder. Other than that, it means nothing.
Due to the risk of losing data or missing something in these sort of things,
I'd probably leave it with option 1 if it were me. In fact, when the user
accounts on that system at work got buggered, that's what I did: recovered
the data to the working account. Then after a few days, knowing the system
was working, I deleted the bad account. I never bothered re-creating the
original user name account.