Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Non-wrapping URL using Gravity

Non-wrapping URL using Gravity

Paul Blarmy

Anyone know how to stop a long URL wrapping when posting using Gravity
newsreader? Have tried enclosing it in speechmarks and < > symbols but
no joy

TIA

--
EMail address is disposable and never checked.
Outgoing message is certified VIRUS FREE by

Flying Rat

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Blarmy
says...
> Anyone know how to stop a long URL wrapping when posting using Gravity
> newsreader? Have tried enclosing it in speechmarks and < > symbols but
> no joy
>
> TIA

use a redirector like TinyURL

www.tinyurl.com

it is a much better solution and means readers won't have wrapping
issues with long URLs, which are a PITA for most usenet clients.

Whiskers

On 2006-07-29, Flying Rat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Blarmy
> says...
>> Anyone know how to stop a long URL wrapping when posting using Gravity
>> newsreader? Have tried enclosing it in speechmarks and < > symbols but
>> no joy
>>
>> TIA
>>

> use a redirector like TinyURL
>
> www.tinyurl.com
>
> it is a much better solution and means readers won't have wrapping
> issues with long URLs, which are a PITA for most usenet clients.

Even better is to use a re-director that shows you the address you are
going to be taken to, before taking you there, so that you have a chance
to avoid going to somewhere you would prefer not to. For example
<http://makeashorterlink.com/index.php> <http://qurl.net/> or
<http://shorterlink.com/>.

I also recommend posting both the long actual URL and the shrunken
alternative, so that everyone can see where you want them to go - and so
that the original URL is visible in the archive even after the shorter
version has lapsed. Like this:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=po...coring=d&ie=UT
F-8&oe=UTF-8&> or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?N20925B7D>.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Paul Blarmy wrote:

> Anyone know how to stop a long URL wrapping when posting using Gravity
> newsreader? Have tried enclosing it in speechmarks and < > symbols
> but no joy

Depends on the newsreader reading your post. Usually < > will work, and
adding <URL: ... > may help as well. Let me make up a long one here:

<URL:http://www.example.com/this/is/not/a/real/address/so/dont/bother/to/click/on/it/because/it/will/go/nowhere.html>

If using tinyurl as Rat suggested, it is also polite to post the real
address as well, so folks have a clue where you want to take them.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer