Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > True Image 9 or Norton Ghost

True Image 9 or Norton Ghost

therod

I want to get rid of my diskette library. I have a lot of a old
software on diskettes that I want to save on CD. For example, I have
some Borland C++ diskettes (14 diskettes in the set) that I would like
to create images of and then put them all on a single CD so that, if I
ever wanted to re-install the stuff, I could do it from one CD rather
than 14 diskettes.

My question is, will True Image or Norton Ghost help me accomplish this
task. If so, which one might be a better at the job.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom

PeeCee

"therod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I want to get rid of my diskette library. I have a lot of a old
> software on diskettes that I want to save on CD. For example, I have
> some Borland C++ diskettes (14 diskettes in the set) that I would like
> to create images of and then put them all on a single CD so that, if I
> ever wanted to re-install the stuff, I could do it from one CD rather
> than 14 diskettes.
>
> My question is, will True Image or Norton Ghost help me accomplish this
> task. If so, which one might be a better at the job.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Tom

Tom

In general these two programs are for backing up partitions on your hard
drive, not individual floppies.

One way you could archive the old floppies is to create folders for each
floppy (disk1, disk2....) and copy the contents to there, then using your
burning program (Nero, NTI, Roxio....) burn these folders to a CD.

Best
Paul.

Toolman Tim

therod wrote:
> I want to get rid of my diskette library. I have a lot of a old
> software on diskettes that I want to save on CD. For example, I have
> some Borland C++ diskettes (14 diskettes in the set) that I would like
> to create images of and then put them all on a single CD so that, if I
> ever wanted to re-install the stuff, I could do it from one CD rather
> than 14 diskettes.
>
> My question is, will True Image or Norton Ghost help me accomplish
> this task. If so, which one might be a better at the job.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Tom

Neither. Those programs are for making images of hard drives to another hard
drive.

All you need to do is copy the diskettes to organized folders on your hard
drive, and use your regular CD burning software to burn those folders to
disc. Make a main folder: C:\program_name, and then subfolders under that:
c:\program_name\disk_1, ...\disk_2, etc. and copy each disk to it's own
folder. Why? Many older install programs that ran from floppy disc will NOT
work correctly from a CD. You would need to re-create the floppy discs to do
the install, INCLUDING the floppy disk original volume name for some
programs. So maybe a text file with the list of volume names would be a good
idea.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

PeeCee wrote:

> create folders for each floppy (disk1, disk2....)

Better: disk01, disk02, ... disk14

This way they will sort alphabetically, and be in the expected order.

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Toolman Tim

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> PeeCee wrote:
>
>> create folders for each floppy (disk1, disk2....)

> Better: disk01, disk02, ... disk14
>
> This way they will sort alphabetically, and be in the expected order.

Good point. I do that with my photos. I started in December scanning Dad's
slides from the year 1954 at 0001, and now I'm up to July 1973 - slide
number 1877. Of course, that's just the number in front - I have nice long
descriptive file names after the number. There must be over 1500 more slides
to go...

Synapse Syndrome

newssdyg.4559$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neither. Those programs are for making images of hard drives to another
> hard drive.
>
> All you need to do is copy the diskettes to organized folders on your hard
> drive, and use your regular CD burning software to burn those folders to
> disc. Make a main folder: C:\program_name, and then subfolders under that:
> c:\program_name\disk_1, ...\disk_2, etc. and copy each disk to it's own
> folder. Why? Many older install programs that ran from floppy disc will
> NOT work correctly from a CD. You would need to re-create the floppy discs
> to do the install, INCLUDING the floppy disk original volume name for some
> programs. So maybe a text file with the list of volume names would be a
> good idea.

Or he could make images of the floppies with something like this:
http://www.towodo.com/products/floppyimage/

Might be quicker as well if it has some sort of continuous mode.

ss.

Toolman Tim

Synapse Syndrome wrote:
> newssdyg.4559$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Neither. Those programs are for making images of hard drives to
>> another hard drive.
>>
>> All you need to do is copy the diskettes to organized folders on
>> your hard drive, and use your regular CD burning software to burn
>> those folders to disc. Make a main folder: C:\program_name, and then
>> subfolders under that: c:\program_name\disk_1, ...\disk_2, etc. and
>> copy each disk to it's own folder. Why? Many older install programs
>> that ran from floppy disc will NOT work correctly from a CD. You
>> would need to re-create the floppy discs to do the install,
>> INCLUDING the floppy disk original volume name for some programs. So
>> maybe a text file with the list of volume names would be a good idea.

> Or he could make images of the floppies with something like this:
> http://www.towodo.com/products/floppyimage/
>
> Might be quicker as well if it has some sort of continuous mode.
>
> ss.

I've not used that particular one, but many years ago my brother tried to
start a shareware distribution business (pre-Internet - mail order) and we
had software that would image floppies like that, then you could make
multiple copies. It really is an excellent idea for this purpose as well.

Synapse Syndrome

news:YBsyg.2793$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Synapse Syndrome wrote:
>> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> newssdyg.4559$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Neither. Those programs are for making images of hard drives to
>>> another hard drive.
>>>
>>> All you need to do is copy the diskettes to organized folders on
>>> your hard drive, and use your regular CD burning software to burn
>>> those folders to disc. Make a main folder: C:\program_name, and then
>>> subfolders under that: c:\program_name\disk_1, ...\disk_2, etc. and
>>> copy each disk to it's own folder. Why? Many older install programs
>>> that ran from floppy disc will NOT work correctly from a CD. You
>>> would need to re-create the floppy discs to do the install,
>>> INCLUDING the floppy disk original volume name for some programs. So
>>> maybe a text file with the list of volume names would be a good idea.

>> Or he could make images of the floppies with something like this:
>> http://www.towodo.com/products/floppyimage/
>>
>> Might be quicker as well if it has some sort of continuous mode.
>>
>> ss.

> I've not used that particular one, but many years ago my brother tried to
> start a shareware distribution business (pre-Internet - mail order) and we
> had software that would image floppies like that, then you could make
> multiple copies. It really is an excellent idea for this purpose as well.

I used to get 'public domain' shareware software for my Amiga '86-88. I got
bored with computers for a while after that as I couldn't afford a HDD or
extra memory or a modem for BBS (my mu thought I'd run up a huge phine bill,
which I probably would have, and she thought I'd hack into some military
installation and get into deep **** and stuf like that). Anyway, these
floppies were compiled my this guy called Fred Fish. He must be somewhere
on the internet these days..

ss.

Jimmy Dean

On 27 Jul 2006 17:44:38 -0700, "therod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to get rid of my diskette library. I have a lot of a old
>software on diskettes that I want to save on CD. For example, I have
>some Borland C++ diskettes (14 diskettes in the set) that I would like
>to create images of and then put them all on a single CD so that, if I
>ever wanted to re-install the stuff, I could do it from one CD rather
>than 14 diskettes.
>
>My question is, will True Image or Norton Ghost help me accomplish this
>task. If so, which one might be a better at the job.
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Tom

I use a prog called WinImage v6 to image floppies - creates an IMZ
file which can be used to recreate the floppy, including boot sector
information. I use it mainly because the only floppies I use are
bootable (like a WinME startup disk, which can be used to start a PC),
and simply copying the floppy's data to a hard disk ignores the boot
info.

If your floppies are not bootable and contain data only, the other
posts in this thread are the way to go.

jd

Bill Gates

On 27 Jul 2006 17:44:38 -0700, "therod" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to get rid of my diskette library. I have a lot of a old
>software on diskettes that I want to save on CD. For example, I have
>some Borland C++ diskettes (14 diskettes in the set) that I would like
>to create images of and then put them all on a single CD so that, if I
>ever wanted to re-install the stuff, I could do it from one CD rather
>than 14 diskettes.

I've been down this road and let me tell you, if it's on a floppy you
probably don't want it anymore. But if you insist use the program
called rawrite for windows. The linux people used to use this for
creating boot floppies. I use it to make any floppy I need, at any
moment, without keeping 500 floppies around.

http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite