Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > moving and copying encrypted files

moving and copying encrypted files

Paul L

I find this a bit confusing when I play with it.
I know that when a file goes to FAT volume it loses encryption.
When something is put into encrypted folder it gets/stays encrypted.
I remember seeing somewhere an exception for moving a file within the same
volume.
The resource kit says that if you drag and drop encryption is not automatic
(unencrypted file going into encrypted folder) -- when I do it seems to
encrypt (sp3 applied).
is there a good and simple reference on this?

S. O'Brien

you never said if you were copying or moving the files... on the same
computer? different computer? here is a starting place... happy hunting:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000..._move_file.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/default.asp

www.microsoft.com

or memorize these charts:

http://www.svrops.com/svrops/documents/movecopy.htm

--
Sue MCNGP #69
http://www.mcngp.tk

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good
example." --Mark Twain

"Paul L" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I find this a bit confusing when I play with it.
> I know that when a file goes to FAT volume it loses encryption.
> When something is put into encrypted folder it gets/stays encrypted.
> I remember seeing somewhere an exception for moving a file within the same
> volume.
> The resource kit says that if you drag and drop encryption is not

automatic
> (unencrypted file going into encrypted folder) -- when I do it seems to
> encrypt (sp3 applied).
> is there a good and simple reference on this?

Kline Sphere

>or memorize these charts:
>
>http://www.svrops.com/svrops/documents/movecopy.htm

The confusion here arises in the fact that certain commands carried
out through a command shell act differently than those through the
explorer shell, e.g.

Move unencrypted file to an encrypted folder through explorer, file
becomes encrypted.

Move unencrypted file to an encrypted folder through command shell,
file remains unencrypted.

Also worth pointing out mount points, re-parse points & system files
cannot be encrypted. The 'write attributes' permission is also
required in order to encrypt and unencrypted files/folders.

Marlin Munrow

307877 How To: Encrypt a File
308989 How To: Encrypt a Folder
308993 How To: Remove File Encryption
223316 Best Practices for Encrypting File System

Did you know that two users can share an encrypted file under windows
XP ? http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308991 (this is the aricle
from which the 4 links above came)

I found a couple of answers to my questions on encryption and security
here:

Download the PDF and read

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:00:22 -0500, "Paul L"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I find this a bit confusing when I play with it.
>I know that when a file goes to FAT volume it loses encryption.
>When something is put into encrypted folder it gets/stays encrypted.
>I remember seeing somewhere an exception for moving a file within the same
>volume.
>The resource kit says that if you drag and drop encryption is not automatic
>(unencrypted file going into encrypted folder) -- when I do it seems to
>encrypt (sp3 applied).
>is there a good and simple reference on this?

S. O'Brien

"Kline Sphere" <-> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >or memorize these charts:
> >
> >http://www.svrops.com/svrops/documents/movecopy.htm

> The confusion here arises in the fact that certain commands carried
> out through a command shell act differently than those through the
> explorer shell, e.g.

True enough... however, the question seemed geared towards studying...
which, in most cases, means explorer based applications. I didn't think I
needed to confuse the poor lad.

Sue

> Move unencrypted file to an encrypted folder through explorer, file
> becomes encrypted.
>
> Move unencrypted file to an encrypted folder through command shell,
> file remains unencrypted.
>
> Also worth pointing out mount points, re-parse points & system files
> cannot be encrypted. The 'write attributes' permission is also
> required in order to encrypt and unencrypted files/folders.

Paul L

thanks for the tip (reminder) about the difference between command line and
explorer moving

Paul L

trying to keep my mind clear of xp
seriously good to know what gets improved, one of those times when I think
better to just try for 2003 exams instead but I bought the book already.....
realized today that xp can show encrypted filenames in colour when was using
w2k server remotely thru xp machine

Paul L

I guess the answer is all of the above multiplied by command line and
explorer
thanks for the links
"S. O'Brien" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bo6kp2$hbo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> you never said if you were copying or moving the files... on the same
> computer? different computer? here is a starting place... happy hunting:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000..._move_file.htm

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/default.asp
>
> www.microsoft.com
>
> or memorize these charts:
>
> http://www.svrops.com/svrops/documents/movecopy.htm
>

> --
> Sue MCNGP #69
> http://www.mcngp.tk
> The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
>
> "Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good
> example." --Mark Twain
>
> "Paul L" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I find this a bit confusing when I play with it.
> > I know that when a file goes to FAT volume it loses encryption.
> > When something is put into encrypted folder it gets/stays encrypted.
> > I remember seeing somewhere an exception for moving a file within the

same
> > volume.
> > The resource kit says that if you drag and drop encryption is not

> automatic
> > (unencrypted file going into encrypted folder) -- when I do it seems to
> > encrypt (sp3 applied).
> > is there a good and simple reference on this?

Steven L Umbach

Basically anything you put in the encrypted folder is encrypted. There seems to be
some misinformation going around about efs, but your expernience is correct . ---
Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...y/efssteps.asp