Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mounting HD in Ubuntu

Mounting HD in Ubuntu

Jill

Hi,

I am playing around with Ubuntu Linux 5.04 booting from CD.

How do I mount a NTFS (Win XP) partition on the local C drive?

Thanks

Meat Plow

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:44:57 +0000, Jill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am playing around with Ubuntu Linux 5.04 booting from CD.
>
> How do I mount a NTFS (Win XP) partition on the local C drive?
>
> Thanks

What happens when you do this:

mount -t ntfs -o,ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/mntDir

--
COOSN-266-06-25794

Jill

When I try from the root terminal I get the error:

mount: mount point /mnt/mntDir does not exist

(also is there a graphical way to do it)

Thanks

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:44:57 +0000, Jill wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am playing around with Ubuntu Linux 5.04 booting from CD.
> >
> > How do I mount a NTFS (Win XP) partition on the local C drive?
> >
> > Thanks

> What happens when you do this:
>
> mount -t ntfs -o,ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/mntDir
>
> --
> COOSN-266-06-25794

Meat Plow

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:00:21 +0000, Jill wrote:

> When I try from the root terminal I get the error:
>
> mount: mount point /mnt/mntDir does not exist

You have to create the mount point first or use an existing one.

--
COOSN-266-06-25794

Jill

So I tried:

mkdir /mnt/mntDir
mount -t ntfs -o,ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/mntDir

No Error, but when I go to the mnt/mntDir folder it has a red "X" on it and
opens up empty.

Thanks

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:00:21 +0000, Jill wrote:
>
> > When I try from the root terminal I get the error:
> >
> > mount: mount point /mnt/mntDir does not exist

> You have to create the mount point first or use an existing one.
>

> > (also is there a graphical way to do it)
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...

> >> What happens when you do this:
> >>
> >> mount -t ntfs -o,ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/mntDir
> >>
> >> --
> >> COOSN-266-06-25794
> >>
> >> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

> --
> COOSN-266-06-25794

Meat Plow

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:15:34 +0000, Jill wrote:

> So I tried:
>
> mkdir /mnt/mntDir
> mount -t ntfs -o,ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/mntDir
>
> No Error, but when I go to the mnt/mntDir folder it has a red "X" on it
> and opens up empty.
>
> Thanks

Maybe something to do with running off a live cd and that's where my
expertise ends. Try a google on it as I'm sure there are others who have
run into problems mounting an existing volume while running off a live
cd if you have. Good luck.

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
>> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:00:21 +0000, Jill wrote:
>>
>> > When I try from the root terminal I get the error:
>> >
>> > mount: mount point /mnt/mntDir does not exist

>> You have to create the mount point first or use an existing one.
>>

>> > (also is there a graphical way to do it)
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...

>> --
>> COOSN-266-06-25794
>>
>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

--
COOSN-266-06-25794

Shell

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:26:27 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:15:34 +0000, Jill wrote:
>
>> So I tried:
>>
>> mkdir /mnt/mntDir
>> mount -t ntfs -o,ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/mntDir
>>
>> No Error, but when I go to the mnt/mntDir folder it has a red "X" on it
>> and opens up empty.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Maybe something to do with running off a live cd and that's where my
> expertise ends. Try a google on it as I'm sure there are others who have
> run into problems mounting an existing volume while running off a live
> cd if you have. Good luck.
>

>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...

>>> You have to create the mount point first or use an existing one.

>>> --
>>> COOSN-266-06-25794
>>>
>>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

An old version of the live cd! Get the latest, sure it works off that.

Jill

OK will try. Thanks

"Shell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sjuy54uwjdao$.1vnybvmsozq6h$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:26:27 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:15:34 +0000, Jill wrote:
> >
> >> So I tried:
> >>
> >> mkdir /mnt/mntDir
> >> mount -t ntfs -o,ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/mntDir
> >>
> >> No Error, but when I go to the mnt/mntDir folder it has a red "X" on it
> >> and opens up empty.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> > Maybe something to do with running off a live cd and that's where my
> > expertise ends. Try a google on it as I'm sure there are others who have
> > run into problems mounting an existing volume while running off a live
> > cd if you have. Good luck.
> >

> >> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...

> An old version of the live cd! Get the latest, sure it works off that.

Jimchip

On 2006-07-26, Jill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am playing around with Ubuntu Linux 5.04 booting from CD.
>
> How do I mount a NTFS (Win XP) partition on the local C drive?

My Debian system running Gnome 2.14 has a "Disks-Admin" utility under
Debian>Apps>System.

If you can't find it there, you could try
disks-admin & from a terminal logged in as a superuser:

shell prompt$: su
password: whatever yours is
shell prompt#: disks-admin &

After that there's a partition tab where you can set your mount points.
NTFS is going to be "read-only". If you want a convenient way to share
files then build a FAT 32 partition. You can read and write to it from
both OS's.

--
"One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

Walter Mautner

Jill wrote:

> OK will try. Thanks
>
> "Shell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> An old version of the live cd! Get the latest, sure it works off that.

Damn you all. Why does noone ever trim the junk and please
STOP TOP POSTING. It hurts to read backwards, really.

Mounting ntfs is a root thing, and you can only access the mounted drive as
root afterwards, therefore the lock or cross. Start the file manager in
superuser mode and point it at your mountpoint.
You know, ntfs is read-only in linux by default?