Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Start Menu > Windows Update not working

Start Menu > Windows Update not working

Ian Edmont

Hi,

Just tried to click on the Windows Update link through the Start Menu
(Windows 2000) and nothing happens.

Checked the shortcut and it points to C:\WINNT\system32\wupdmgr.exe so
nothing wrong there from what I gather. Deleted and re-created the shortcut
and still the same. Windows Update does work in IE6 however.

Anyone any ideas please?

Many thanks.

Ian.

Toolman Tim

Ian Edmont wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just tried to click on the Windows Update link through the Start Menu
> (Windows 2000) and nothing happens.
>
> Checked the shortcut and it points to C:\WINNT\system32\wupdmgr.exe so
> nothing wrong there from what I gather. Deleted and re-created the
> shortcut and still the same. Windows Update does work in IE6 however.
>
> Anyone any ideas please?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Ian.

So? Delete the current link from the start menu, create a new one from IE,
and put it in the start menu. Problem successfully circumvented.

Ian Edmont

newsMxxg.754$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ian Edmont wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just tried to click on the Windows Update link through the Start Menu
> > (Windows 2000) and nothing happens.
> >
> > Checked the shortcut and it points to C:\WINNT\system32\wupdmgr.exe so
> > nothing wrong there from what I gather. Deleted and re-created the
> > shortcut and still the same. Windows Update does work in IE6 however.
> >
> > Anyone any ideas please?
> >
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > Ian.

> So? Delete the current link from the start menu, create a new one from IE,
> and put it in the start menu. Problem successfully circumvented.
>
> --
> Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh. ~Doctor Who~

errrm ... how do you create a new link from IE?

I dont want to circumvent the problem. I would like to know what has
possible caused it and apply the 'correct' fix!?!?

Ian.

Randall Smith

You should get an update from windows update that will solve the problem.
It replaces the old version of your windows update with a new one. Just
keep going back to that update site until it tells you there are no more
updates for your computer. Then try the link for windows update in your
programs list and see if that works. If not you may find help here.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833766/en-us

"Ian Edmont" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ea8175$kai$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...

> newsMxxg.754$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ian Edmont wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Just tried to click on the Windows Update link through the Start Menu
>> > (Windows 2000) and nothing happens.
>> >
>> > Checked the shortcut and it points to C:\WINNT\system32\wupdmgr.exe so
>> > nothing wrong there from what I gather. Deleted and re-created the
>> > shortcut and still the same. Windows Update does work in IE6 however.
>> >
>> > Anyone any ideas please?
>> >
>> > Many thanks.
>> >
>> > Ian.

>> So? Delete the current link from the start menu, create a new one from
>> IE,
>> and put it in the start menu. Problem successfully circumvented.
>>
>> --
>> Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh. ~Doctor Who~
>>

> errrm ... how do you create a new link from IE?
>
> I dont want to circumvent the problem. I would like to know what has
> possible caused it and apply the 'correct' fix!?!?
>
> Ian.

Toolman Tim

Ian Edmont wrote:
> newsMxxg.754$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ian Edmont wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just tried to click on the Windows Update link through the Start
>>> Menu (Windows 2000) and nothing happens.
>>>
>>> Checked the shortcut and it points to C:\WINNT\system32\wupdmgr.exe
>>> so nothing wrong there from what I gather. Deleted and re-created
>>> the shortcut and still the same. Windows Update does work in IE6
>>> however.
>>>
>>> Anyone any ideas please?
>>>
>>> Many thanks.
>>>
>>> Ian.

>> So? Delete the current link from the start menu, create a new one
>> from IE, and put it in the start menu. Problem successfully
>> circumvented.
>>
>> --
>> Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh. ~Doctor Who~
>>

> errrm ... how do you create a new link from IE?

That's EASY. See the little "e" icon in the IE address bar? Drag that to
your desktop. Instant shortcut. I do it ALL the time - quick and easy for
"short-term" bookmarks. I often don't want a site in my Favorites, since
when I get done with a project, I won't need it anymore. If I leave the link
on my desktop, it reminds me to finish what I started, and delete the link
when I'm done.

Ian Edmont

"Ian Edmont" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ea8175$kai$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...

> newsMxxg.754$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ian Edmont wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Just tried to click on the Windows Update link through the Start Menu
> > > (Windows 2000) and nothing happens.
> > >
> > > Checked the shortcut and it points to C:\WINNT\system32\wupdmgr.exe so
> > > nothing wrong there from what I gather. Deleted and re-created the
> > > shortcut and still the same. Windows Update does work in IE6 however.
> > >
> > > Anyone any ideas please?
> > >
> > > Many thanks.
> > >
> > > Ian.

> > So? Delete the current link from the start menu, create a new one from

IE,
> > and put it in the start menu. Problem successfully circumvented.
> >
> > --
> > Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh. ~Doctor Who~
> >

> errrm ... how do you create a new link from IE?
>
> I dont want to circumvent the problem. I would like to know what has
> possible caused it and apply the 'correct' fix!?!?
>
> Ian.

Thanks for the replies guys

Ian.

Evelyn S. Gardner

If you haven't solved getting the Windows Update link to work yet ... post
and let me know.
Ian Edmont's solution only creates another IE shortcut link ... it does
nothing for your problem.

I assume that you want a Windows Update button to do it's job ... not just
open IE.
You nned to force Windows Update to rebuild itself ... and that involves
cleaning out some folders under C:\Winnt\SoftwareDistribution\....

Something is out of sync ... when you click on the current version of
Windows Update button ... does anything happen?

Have you tried having an Internet Connection open ... and then try the
Windows Update button and see if IE opens and goes to Windows Update?

news:ea8hoa$ugs$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...