Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > IPSec Question

IPSec Question

Paul

Hi all

Currently studying for my 70-216 exam and I am getting
stuck on IPSec.

I have implemented the the secure server via group policy
(using the default domain policy). I thought by
implementing IPSec this way it would ensure IPSec
communications amongst all my PC's on my test network.

However, once implemented, no computers can communicate
with each other?

Furthermore, I don't understand why it only seems possible
to have one IPSec policy via group policies. e.g. you can
only assign one policy.

How would you then, for example, require secure access to
a file server, require unsecured access between some PC's
and secure access between particular PC's in the domain
(all PC's are using DHCP for IP address assignment)

Any recommendations to resources for IPSec would also be
appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Rowdy Yates

if you set the req. secure on the server, don't you need to set it up on
the clients via gpo as well?

also, did you use the pre-built security tamplates?

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:0c0101c3a1fc
$035309b0$(E-Mail Removed):

Paul

By setting the IPSec policy on the default domain policy
(computers) won't the settings be propogated throughout
the domain PC's?

Currently running the default security templates that
would have been applied when installing the machine.

>$035309b0$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>.

Consultant

are you using nat?

news:0c0101c3a1fc$035309b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> Currently studying for my 70-216 exam and I am getting
> stuck on IPSec.
>
> I have implemented the the secure server via group policy
> (using the default domain policy). I thought by
> implementing IPSec this way it would ensure IPSec
> communications amongst all my PC's on my test network.
>
> However, once implemented, no computers can communicate
> with each other?
>
> Furthermore, I don't understand why it only seems possible
> to have one IPSec policy via group policies. e.g. you can
> only assign one policy.
>
> How would you then, for example, require secure access to
> a file server, require unsecured access between some PC's
> and secure access between particular PC's in the domain
> (all PC's are using DHCP for IP address assignment)
>
> Any recommendations to resources for IPSec would also be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

No - Just using a test network at home.

1 x Win2K DC - utilising AD
2 x Win2K clients

Have used the IPSec Policy Require Security and
implemented this on the default domain policy

message