Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Xandros 4: Relief for Windows 98/ME Orphans

Xandros 4: Relief for Windows 98/ME Orphans

Au79

By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

Review: Xandros 4 is easily the best Linux distribution for Windows users
who are either be forced, or looking, to switch to a new operating system.
(DesktopLinux)

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895...06dtx1k0000599

Paul

"Au79" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mKPwg.841$(E-Mail Removed)...
> By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
>
> Review: Xandros 4 is easily the best Linux distribution for Windows users
> who are either be forced, or looking, to switch to a new operating system.
> (DesktopLinux)
>
> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895...06dtx1k0000599

System Requirements

Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 (I can't find Xandros 4 on the Xandros
website):

Recommended

Pentium II 450MHz or AMD K6/II 450MHz
256 MB
3 GB of available space

Hmmm, those are about the spec's needed to run Windows 2000...

Toolman Tim

Paul wrote:
> "Au79" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:mKPwg.841$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
>>
>> Review: Xandros 4 is easily the best Linux distribution for Windows
>> users who are either be forced, or looking, to switch to a new
>> operating system. (DesktopLinux)
>>
>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895...06dtx1k0000599
>>

> System Requirements
>
> Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 (I can't find Xandros 4 on the Xandros
> website):
>
> Recommended
>
> Pentium II 450MHz or AMD K6/II 450MHz
> 256 MB
> 3 GB of available space
>
> Hmmm, those are about the spec's needed to run Windows 2000...

Yeah - I've felt that the claims of lower resource requirements for Linux
GUIs are overstated. Sure, the kernel runs great in systems with lower
specs, but the GUI needs more horsepower, especially the RAM.