Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Symantec Security Alert shows after uninstallation of AV

Symantec Security Alert shows after uninstallation of AV

Changstein

Hi people,

I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite. Norton AV was part of
the system bundle. After a while it turned itself off mysteriously and the
fix said to re-install it. Instead, I installed a copy of McAfee, and
uninstalled NAV.

Minor trouble is, the same persistent "security alert" window keeps
telling me that my virus protection is turned off, requiring relocating it
off-screen. In the control panel, the Security Center correctly detects
that McAfee AV exists and is on, but still the Symantec alert window comes
up every time the system boots or resumes.

I suspect that this is due to the Norton WMI update. I have a copy of
Norton Ghost 9.0, which I want to keep -- does anyone know if Ghost
requires the WMI update? Alternately, anybody know of a setting that will
turn this alert window off?

Any response will be appreciated. Thanks.

JG

Toolman Tim

Changstein wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite. Norton AV was part
> of the system bundle. After a while it turned itself off mysteriously
> and the fix said to re-install it. Instead, I installed a copy of
> McAfee, and uninstalled NAV.
>
> Minor trouble is, the same persistent "security alert" window keeps
> telling me that my virus protection is turned off, requiring
> relocating it off-screen. In the control panel, the Security Center
> correctly detects that McAfee AV exists and is on, but still the
> Symantec alert window comes up every time the system boots or resumes.
>
> I suspect that this is due to the Norton WMI update. I have a copy of
> Norton Ghost 9.0, which I want to keep -- does anyone know if Ghost
> requires the WMI update? Alternately, anybody know of a setting that
> will turn this alert window off?
>
> Any response will be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> JG

Uninstall EVERYTHING from Symantec/Norton. Then only reinstall Ghost.

Synapse Syndrome

news:zyMwg.10$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Changstein wrote:
>> Hi people,
>>
>> I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite. Norton AV was part
>> of the system bundle. After a while it turned itself off mysteriously
>> and the fix said to re-install it. Instead, I installed a copy of
>> McAfee, and uninstalled NAV.
>>
>> Minor trouble is, the same persistent "security alert" window keeps
>> telling me that my virus protection is turned off, requiring
>> relocating it off-screen. In the control panel, the Security Center
>> correctly detects that McAfee AV exists and is on, but still the
>> Symantec alert window comes up every time the system boots or resumes.
>>
>> I suspect that this is due to the Norton WMI update. I have a copy of
>> Norton Ghost 9.0, which I want to keep -- does anyone know if Ghost
>> requires the WMI update? Alternately, anybody know of a setting that
>> will turn this alert window off?
>>
>> Any response will be appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> JG

> Uninstall EVERYTHING from Symantec/Norton. Then only reinstall Ghost.

I'd agree, but Symantec AntiVirus Corporate is excellent for servers. It
really does everything without any user intervention once it's set up.

ss.

Toolman Tim

Synapse Syndrome wrote:
> news:zyMwg.10$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Changstein wrote:
>>> Hi people,
>>>
>>> I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite. Norton AV was
>>> part of the system bundle. After a while it turned itself off
>>> mysteriously and the fix said to re-install it. Instead, I
>>> installed a copy of McAfee, and uninstalled NAV.
>>>
>>> Minor trouble is, the same persistent "security alert" window keeps
>>> telling me that my virus protection is turned off, requiring
>>> relocating it off-screen. In the control panel, the Security Center
>>> correctly detects that McAfee AV exists and is on, but still the
>>> Symantec alert window comes up every time the system boots or
>>> resumes. I suspect that this is due to the Norton WMI update. I have a
>>> copy
>>> of Norton Ghost 9.0, which I want to keep -- does anyone know if
>>> Ghost requires the WMI update? Alternately, anybody know of a
>>> setting that will turn this alert window off?
>>>
>>> Any response will be appreciated. Thanks.
>>>
>>> JG

>> Uninstall EVERYTHING from Symantec/Norton. Then only reinstall Ghost.
>>

> I'd agree, but Symantec AntiVirus Corporate is excellent for servers.
> It really does everything without any user intervention once it's set
> up.

I can't argue with that. We use the Enterprise version of McAfee at work -
same results. And the client version on the workstations is not a memory hog
like the retail versions.

Changstein

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:zyMwg.10$jK3.8
@fe07.lga:

> Uninstall EVERYTHING from Symantec/Norton. Then only reinstall Ghost.

Thanks much.