Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > No wonder!!!

No wonder!!!

philo

<snip>

> >Who knows...maybe I'm right ?
> >

> It is said that with God all things are possible, right? So that
> makes it possible for you to be right. On the other hand if we accept
> that, then it means most things could be impossible.
> If all things are possible the it is possible that all things are
> impossible. Because impossible is a thing----- ah never mind.

I once listened to a friend of mine get into a religious discussion with a
ten year old boy
who said "God can do anything."

First he asked the kid if God could lift the heaviest rock possible...and
the kid of course replied "yes".

Then my friend asked the kid if God could create a rock so heavy that even
God could not lift it...
and again the answer was of course "yes" >

joevan

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:10:14 -0500, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><snip>
>> >

>> >Who knows...maybe I'm right ?
>> >

>> It is said that with God all things are possible, right? So that
>> makes it possible for you to be right. On the other hand if we accept
>> that, then it means most things could be impossible.
>> If all things are possible the it is possible that all things are
>> impossible. Because impossible is a thing----- ah never mind.

>I once listened to a friend of mine get into a religious discussion with a
>ten year old boy
>who said "God can do anything."
>
>First he asked the kid if God could lift the heaviest rock possible...and
>the kid of course replied "yes".
>
>Then my friend asked the kid if God could create a rock so heavy that even
>God could not lift it...
>and again the answer was of course "yes" >

"Reely" makes about as much "cents" as my babbling on.
I think the point has been well made that it all seems to be
impossible.
and for the same reason."

Rhonda Lea Kirk

joevan wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:10:14 -0500, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> <snip>

>>> It is said that with God all things are possible, right? So that
>>> makes it possible for you to be right. On the other hand if we
>>> accept that, then it means most things could be impossible.
>>> If all things are possible the it is possible that all things are
>>> impossible. Because impossible is a thing----- ah never mind.

>> I once listened to a friend of mine get into a religious discussion
>> with a ten year old boy
>> who said "God can do anything."
>>
>> First he asked the kid if God could lift the heaviest rock
>> possible...and the kid of course replied "yes".
>>
>> Then my friend asked the kid if God could create a rock so heavy
>> that even God could not lift it...
>> and again the answer was of course "yes" >
>>

> "Reely" makes about as much "cents" as my babbling on.
> I think the point has been well made that it all seems to be
> impossible.

Paradox implies a flaw in language, not an error in God.

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift

philo

<snip>

> Paradox implies a flaw in language, not an error in God.

Or if not in language...understanding!

joevan

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:14:37 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:10:14 -0500, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> <snip>

>>> I once listened to a friend of mine get into a religious discussion
>>> with a ten year old boy
>>> who said "God can do anything."
>>>
>>> First he asked the kid if God could lift the heaviest rock
>>> possible...and the kid of course replied "yes".
>>>
>>> Then my friend asked the kid if God could create a rock so heavy
>>> that even God could not lift it...
>>> and again the answer was of course "yes" >
>>>

>> "Reely" makes about as much "cents" as my babbling on.
>> I think the point has been well made that it all seems to be
>> impossible.

>Paradox implies a flaw in language, not an error in God.

Truism.
All language is flawed because it was invented by man.
And more so by his attempt to speak it.
Then someone invented the typewriter and books and ------
Isn't this where the tower of Babel comes into play?
At least we have a leg up today with the ability to translate a page
of url with the click of a mouse.
and for the same reason."

Toolman Tim

philo wrote:
> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:78Qwg.71607$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>> Without Any Hesitation, philo Wrote The Following:
>>> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:RWLwg.71499$(E-Mail Removed). net...

>>> wasn't it Patton who said " there are no athiests in foxholes"
>>>

>> http://www.anvari.org/fortune/Quotations_2/188.html
>>
>> '

> I guess it was not Patton.
> Also, as I read a bit on the subject I see that some theists...
> after seeing war from a foxhole...become atheists!

Having survived through hell on earth, they have nothing else to die for?

Rhonda Lea Kirk

joevan wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:14:37 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> joevan wrote:

>>> "Reely" makes about as much "cents" as my babbling on.
>>> I think the point has been well made that it all seems to be
>>> impossible.

>> Paradox implies a flaw in language, not an error in God.
>>

> Truism.
> All language is flawed because it was invented by man.

Language is flawed because it's flawed. Words are slippery. "If it can't
be expressed in numbers, it's not fact, but opinion."

> And more so by his attempt to speak it.

Indeed.

I can say "I love you" in several different languages, and I know most
of the English (and several French) synonyms for the world "love." And
yet I do not have any way to tell the person I love most in the world
that it is so.

After all, I also love flourless chocolate cake, black licorice, blue
mountain coffee, and darjeeling tea. But I can't really imagine that I'd
ever consider taking a bullet for them.

> Then someone invented the typewriter and books and ------
> Isn't this where the tower of Babel comes into play?

No. Because even people who speak the same milk tongue seem to have
difficulty communicating the vast majority of the time.

> At least we have a leg up today with the ability to translate a page
> of url with the click of a mouse.

Well, yes, except then we all need language lessons from Yoda to
understand the translation.

I'm a multiversal pantheistic solipsist, except I'm not a solipsist, and
I'm no longer sure if "many-worlds" is workable. That leaves me with a
singular belief, and trying to bind the universe to my puny
understanding of it all requires just a little more hubris than I
possess.

But I'm sure if I had the proper language, I could describe a scenario
in which it is logically possible for God to pick up and yet not pick up
the rock.

One does wonder if Achilles ever made it to the finish line, eh?

<grin>

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift

Old Gringo

Without Any Hesitation, Toolman Tim Wrote The Following:
> philo wrote:
>> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:78Qwg.71607$(E-Mail Removed). net...

>>> http://www.anvari.org/fortune/Quotations_2/188.html
>>>
>>> '

>> I guess it was not Patton.
>> Also, as I read a bit on the subject I see that some theists...
>> after seeing war from a foxhole...become atheists!

> Having survived through hell on earth, they have nothing else to die for?

I can imagine it is very hard for anyone to believe in a God when all
one can do is wonder why he would let something like that happen.
The Bible that well prevent Atheism hasn't been written yet. A very
clever bunch of bandits put together the ones that are on the market
today.

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere