Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Taming WINXPpro desktop

Taming WINXPpro desktop

Richard Owlett

I'd like to organize my desktop icons in a way that makes sense to me
*PERSONALLY* !!

MS gives some perhaps reasonable defaults.
They DO *NOT* work for me.

I'd like to select a some icons and move them to adjacent locations.

Any ideas?

thanks

Vanguard

"Richard Owlett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to organize my desktop icons in a way that makes sense to
> me *PERSONALLY* !!
>
> MS gives some perhaps reasonable defaults.
> They DO *NOT* work for me.
>
> I'd like to select a some icons and move them to adjacent locations.

So what is the problem with dragging them to where you want on the
desktop and leaving them there? Could be that the problem that you
never bothered to mention is that the icons snap back to a position
ordered left to right, top down? Well, then disable the Auto-Arrange
option for the desktop (right-click on the desktop, Arrange Icons By).

Richard Owlett

Vanguard wrote:

> "Richard Owlett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I'd like to organize my desktop icons in a way that makes sense to me
>> *PERSONALLY* !!
>>
>> MS gives some perhaps reasonable defaults.
>> They DO *NOT* work for me.
>>
>> I'd like to select a some icons and move them to adjacent locations.

> So what is the problem with dragging them to where you want on the
> desktop and leaving them there? Could be that the problem that you
> never bothered to mention is that the icons snap back to a position
> ordered left to right, top down? Well, then disable the Auto-Arrange
> option for the desktop (right-click on the desktop, Arrange Icons By).

Auto-Arrange was OFF

I'd like to
individually high lite related icons and drag them somewhere
then highlight region they came from and 'close up' holes

Paul

"Richard Owlett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vanguard wrote:
>
>> "Richard Owlett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I'd like to organize my desktop icons in a way that makes sense to me
>>> *PERSONALLY* !!
>>>
>>> MS gives some perhaps reasonable defaults.
>>> They DO *NOT* work for me.
>>>
>>> I'd like to select a some icons and move them to adjacent locations.

>> So what is the problem with dragging them to where you want on the
>> desktop and leaving them there? Could be that the problem that you never
>> bothered to mention is that the icons snap back to a position ordered
>> left to right, top down? Well, then disable the Auto-Arrange option for
>> the desktop (right-click on the desktop, Arrange Icons By).

> Auto-Arrange was OFF
>
> I'd like to
> individually high lite related icons and drag them somewhere
> then highlight region they came from and 'close up' holes

Go on then, don't let us stop you....

Duane Arnold

Richard Owlett wrote:
> Vanguard wrote:
>
>> "Richard Owlett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I'd like to organize my desktop icons in a way that makes sense to me
>>> *PERSONALLY* !!
>>>
>>> MS gives some perhaps reasonable defaults.
>>> They DO *NOT* work for me.
>>>
>>> I'd like to select a some icons and move them to adjacent locations.

>> So what is the problem with dragging them to where you want on the
>> desktop and leaving them there? Could be that the problem that you
>> never bothered to mention is that the icons snap back to a position
>> ordered left to right, top down? Well, then disable the Auto-Arrange
>> option for the desktop (right-click on the desktop, Arrange Icons By).

> Auto-Arrange was OFF
>
> I'd like to
> individually high lite related icons and drag them somewhere
> then highlight region they came from and 'close up' holes

If Auto-Arrange is OFF, then drag and arrange the desktop icons any way
that floats your boat.

Duane

Richard Owlett

Duane Arnold wrote:

> Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>> Vanguard wrote:
>>
>>> "Richard Owlett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> So what is the problem with dragging them to where you want on the
>>> desktop and leaving them there? Could be that the problem that you
>>> never bothered to mention is that the icons snap back to a position
>>> ordered left to right, top down? Well, then disable the Auto-Arrange
>>> option for the desktop (right-click on the desktop, Arrange Icons By).

>> Auto-Arrange was OFF
>>
>> I'd like to
>> individually high lite related icons and drag them somewhere
>> then highlight region they came from and 'close up' holes
>>

> If Auto-Arrange is OFF, then drag and arrange the desktop icons any way
> that floats your boat.
>
> Duane

That sounds reasonable.

*BUT*

highliting either 6 or 7 icons [depending on murky conditions] will copy
previous m-1 icons to first empty space.

will someone place w. gates in iron maiden with MUCH NaCl &/or hot tar?

Duane Arnold

Richard Owlett wrote:
> Duane Arnold wrote:
>
>> Richard Owlett wrote:

>>> Auto-Arrange was OFF
>>>
>>> I'd like to
>>> individually high lite related icons and drag them somewhere
>>> then highlight region they came from and 'close up' holes
>>>

>> If Auto-Arrange is OFF, then drag and arrange the desktop icons any
>> way that floats your boat.
>>
>> Duane

> That sounds reasonable.
>
> *BUT*
>
> highliting either 6 or 7 icons [depending on murky conditions] will copy
> previous m-1 icons to first empty space.

Who does that? On every Windows O/S I have used, I got my set
arrangement of desktop icons I want located on the desktop. I move them
manually one at a time to the spots, log off/log on so that they hold
and go on about my business. It's not that hard.

Duane

Richard Owlett

Duane Arnold wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>> Duane Arnold wrote:

>>> If Auto-Arrange is OFF, then drag and arrange the desktop icons any
>>> way that floats your boat.
>>>
>>> Duane

>> That sounds reasonable.
>>
>> *BUT*
>>
>> highliting either 6 or 7 icons [depending on murky conditions] will
>> copy previous m-1 icons to first empty space.

> Who does that? On every Windows O/S I have used, I got my set
> arrangement of desktop icons I want located on the desktop. I move them
> manually one at a time to the spots, log off/log on so that they hold
> and go on about my business. It's not that hard.
>
> Duane

BUT I want to move more than one at a time ;{

Gary G. Taylor

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:50:09 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

>> Who does that? On every Windows O/S I have used, I got my set
>> arrangement of desktop icons I want located on the desktop. I move them
>> manually one at a time to the spots, log off/log on so that they hold
>> and go on about my business. It's not that hard.
>>
>> Duane

> BUT I want to move more than one at a time!

You can highlight any rectangular pattern and move the icons within that
highlighted block as a unit.

Martik

"Gary G. Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:50:09 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>>> Who does that? On every Windows O/S I have used, I got my set
>>> arrangement of desktop icons I want located on the desktop. I move them
>>> manually one at a time to the spots, log off/log on so that they hold
>>> and go on about my business. It's not that hard.
>>>
>>> Duane

>> BUT I want to move more than one at a time!

> You can highlight any rectangular pattern and move the icons within that
> highlighted block as a unit.

Hold down the control key if the selection is not rectangular. If I have a
few related icons I want together I create a folder on the desktop and drag
them all to it. ie: A folder called "Video editing" will contain all
programs related to that activity

taming the cursor joe.user0@lycos.com C Programming 2 08-21-2005 09:55 PM
Req. step by step guide of networking together win98se and winxppro. TIA roadster3043 Computer Support 5 10-22-2004 10:39 PM
Taming Test::Unit Ben Giddings Ruby 3 06-10-2004 06:49 AM
Does java work on WinXpPro? George Java 7 09-15-2003 10:48 AM
vertical scrollbar, the taming of Sean HTML 2 08-07-2003 07:26 AM

Advertisments