Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 3 short beeps when power up

3 short beeps when power up

don ward

Got a pentium 4 home assembled computer thats been working then started
acting up and crashing.
Now when i push power on it give me 3 short beeps and wont boot
Any suggesions what might have decided to take a dump??
where do i start trouble shooting?? many thanks
dnw

Old Gringo

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosb.htm

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Synapse Syndrome

"don ward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Got a pentium 4 home assembled computer thats been working then started
> acting up and crashing.
> Now when i push power on it give me 3 short beeps and wont boot
> Any suggesions what might have decided to take a dump??
> where do i start trouble shooting?? many thanks

What motherboard? Well, more importantly, what type of BIOS? Once you know
the manufacturer you can lookup what the three short beeps error code means.
It might mean bad memory or graphics card or whatever.

ss.

don ward

In article <qYjwg.71128$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Without Any Hesitation, don ward Wrote The Following:
> > Got a pentium 4 home assembled computer thats been working then started
> > acting up and crashing.
> > Now when i push power on it give me 3 short beeps and wont boot
> > Any suggesions what might have decided to take a dump??
> > where do i start trouble shooting?? many thanks
> > dnw

> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosb.htm

Great info many thanks thats what it was a bad intermittant
memory card....

dnw

Old Gringo

Without Any Hesitation, don ward Wrote The Following:
> In article <qYjwg.71128$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Without Any Hesitation, don ward Wrote The Following:
>>> Got a pentium 4 home assembled computer thats been working then started
>>> acting up and crashing.
>>> Now when i push power on it give me 3 short beeps and wont boot
>>> Any suggesions what might have decided to take a dump??
>>> where do i start trouble shooting?? many thanks
>>> dnw

>> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosb.htm

> Great info many thanks thats what it was a bad intermittant
> memory card....
>
> dnw

You are more than welcome. Firefox is my default browser, in the
address bar I typed in "3 short beeps" and that is the page it
brought up. Cool browser if you haven't tried it.

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.Nuboy-Industries.Com

Plato

don ward wrote:

> Got a pentium 4 home assembled computer thats been working then started
> acting up and crashing.
> Now when i push power on it give me 3 short beeps and wont boot
> Any suggesions what might have decided to take a dump??
> where do i start trouble shooting?? many thanks

In general, a beeping PC trying to POST is almost always a mis-seated
video card or mis-seated ram or ram that has gone bad. The good news is
its almost never a processor problem as the processor has to be working
in order to give you beeps. If you've noticed on modern motherboards the
AGP card slot has a lock on it to
keep the card in place. When you look at an AGP video card and compare
it to a PCI video card you will see how close the contacts are on the
AGP compared to the PCI.

A bad video card may also result in beeps at POST.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Martik

"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zYwwg.129668$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> Without Any Hesitation, don ward Wrote The Following:
>> In article <qYjwg.71128$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
>> Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosb.htm

>> Great info many thanks thats what it was a bad intermittant memory
>> card.... dnw

> You are more than welcome. Firefox is my default browser, in the address
> bar I typed in "3 short beeps" and that is the page it brought up. Cool
> browser if you haven't tried it.
>> http://www.mozilla.com/

Opera is better and faster - doesn't need unreliable extensions for tabs
and restored sessions to work properly.

Old Gringo

Without Any Hesitation, Martik Wrote The Following:
> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zYwwg.129668$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
>> Without Any Hesitation, don ward Wrote The Following:

>>> Great info many thanks thats what it was a bad intermittant memory
>>> card.... dnw

>> You are more than welcome. Firefox is my default browser, in the address
>> bar I typed in "3 short beeps" and that is the page it brought up. Cool
>> browser if you haven't tried it.
>>> http://www.mozilla.com/

> Opera is better and faster - doesn't need unreliable extensions for tabs
> and restored sessions to work properly.

ROTFLMAO LWGAS
Sun 23 July 2006, 10:27 PM --500 (Central Standard Time) Will it
do that?

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.Nuboy-Industries.Com

Old Gringo

Without Any Hesitation, Martik Wrote The Following:
> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zYwwg.129668$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
>> Without Any Hesitation, don ward Wrote The Following:

>>> Great info many thanks thats what it was a bad intermittant memory
>>> card.... dnw

>> You are more than welcome. Firefox is my default browser, in the address
>> bar I typed in "3 short beeps" and that is the page it brought up. Cool
>> browser if you haven't tried it.
>>> http://www.mozilla.com/

> Opera is better and faster - doesn't need unreliable extensions for tabs
> and restored sessions to work properly.

PS: Just read your headers, what about the news reader in opera?

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.Nuboy-Industries.Com

Martik

"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wvXwg.178430$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> Without Any Hesitation, Martik Wrote The Following:
>> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:zYwwg.129668$(E-Mail Removed) .com...

>>> You are more than welcome. Firefox is my default browser, in the
>>> address bar I typed in "3 short beeps" and that is the page it brought
>>> up. Cool browser if you haven't tried it.

>> Opera is better and faster - doesn't need unreliable extensions for tabs
>> and restored sessions to work properly.

> PS: Just read your headers, what about the news reader in opera?

Huh?

Cannot use tbird it does not sort collapsed threads properly.