Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Sony Vaio Power Panel not controling brightness

Sony Vaio Power Panel not controling brightness

Jack B. Pollack

I just did a clean install of XP on my Sony Vaio PCG-V505BX notebook. After
the initial install I was unable to locate my original Sony recovery CDs. I
was able to get most of the drivers I needed from the Sony Web site. The
Sony site did not have downloads for the Hotkey Utility, Sony Notebook Setup
or Power Panel.

After doing extensive searching I did find another Sony site with many Vaio
utilities (ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Vaio). I was able to get the Hotkey util
and Notebook Setup to work without any problems (although I am not sure that
the versions installed are really for my model).

I can dim the screen using the hotkeys, but Power Panel does not change
screen brightness under any profile (again, not sure that I am using the
correct version for my model. I did try all the PPs on above site).

So my questions are:

1. Does anyone know what the correct version is for the PCG-V505BX?
2. Does anyone have this model and be willing to email/post the PP util?
3. Any ideas on how to fix PP to control brightness if problem is not
version related (have uninstalled and reinstalled PP util)?

TIA

Synapse Syndrome

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I just did a clean install of XP on my Sony Vaio PCG-V505BX notebook. After
> the initial install I was unable to locate my original Sony recovery CDs.
> was able to get most of the drivers I needed from the Sony Web site. The
> Sony site did not have downloads for the Hotkey Utility, Sony Notebook
> Setup
> or Power Panel.
>
> After doing extensive searching I did find another Sony site with many
> Vaio
> utilities (ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Vaio). I was able to get the Hotkey util
> and Notebook Setup to work without any problems (although I am not sure
> that
> the versions installed are really for my model).
>
> I can dim the screen using the hotkeys, but Power Panel does not change
> screen brightness under any profile (again, not sure that I am using the
> correct version for my model. I did try all the PPs on above site).
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. Does anyone know what the correct version is for the PCG-V505BX?
> 2. Does anyone have this model and be willing to email/post the PP util?
> 3. Any ideas on how to fix PP to control brightness if problem is not
> version related (have uninstalled and reinstalled PP util)?

I have a VAIO that I made a clean install of XP on to get rid of all the
Sony ****. But for the useful utilites I had to install this Sony Download
Taxi download thing which gets all the things you need. Here is the page
that you need:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...CGV505BX&LOC=3

HTH

ss.

Jack B. Pollack

"Synapse Syndrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >I just did a clean install of XP on my Sony Vaio PCG-V505BX notebook.

After
> > the initial install I was unable to locate my original Sony recovery

CDs.
> > was able to get most of the drivers I needed from the Sony Web site. The
> > Sony site did not have downloads for the Hotkey Utility, Sony Notebook
> > Setup
> > or Power Panel.
> >
> > After doing extensive searching I did find another Sony site with many
> > Vaio
> > utilities (ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Vaio). I was able to get the Hotkey

util
> > and Notebook Setup to work without any problems (although I am not sure
> > that
> > the versions installed are really for my model).
> >
> > I can dim the screen using the hotkeys, but Power Panel does not change
> > screen brightness under any profile (again, not sure that I am using the
> > correct version for my model. I did try all the PPs on above site).
> >
> > So my questions are:
> >
> > 1. Does anyone know what the correct version is for the PCG-V505BX?
> > 2. Does anyone have this model and be willing to email/post the PP

util?
> > 3. Any ideas on how to fix PP to control brightness if problem is not
> > version related (have uninstalled and reinstalled PP util)?

> I have a VAIO that I made a clean install of XP on to get rid of all the
> Sony ****. But for the useful utilites I had to install this Sony

Download
> Taxi download thing which gets all the things you need. Here is the page
> that you need:
>
> http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...CGV505BX&LOC=3
>
> HTH
>
> ss.

I just installed Download Taxi, it does not give you access to any other
software not listed on the regular HTTP DL page. The program just gives you
a "simple" way to DL lots of files at once.

Synapse Syndrome

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ve6wg.676$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com...
> "Synapse Syndrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >I just did a clean install of XP on my Sony Vaio PCG-V505BX notebook.

> After
>> > the initial install I was unable to locate my original Sony recovery

> CDs.
>> > was able to get most of the drivers I needed from the Sony Web site.
>> > The
>> > Sony site did not have downloads for the Hotkey Utility, Sony Notebook
>> > Setup
>> > or Power Panel.
>> >
>> > After doing extensive searching I did find another Sony site with many
>> > Vaio
>> > utilities (ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Vaio). I was able to get the Hotkey

> util
>> > and Notebook Setup to work without any problems (although I am not sure
>> > that
>> > the versions installed are really for my model).
>> >
>> > I can dim the screen using the hotkeys, but Power Panel does not change
>> > screen brightness under any profile (again, not sure that I am using
>> > the
>> > correct version for my model. I did try all the PPs on above site).
>> >
>> > So my questions are:
>> >
>> > 1. Does anyone know what the correct version is for the PCG-V505BX?
>> > 2. Does anyone have this model and be willing to email/post the PP

> util?
>> > 3. Any ideas on how to fix PP to control brightness if problem is not
>> > version related (have uninstalled and reinstalled PP util)?

>> I have a VAIO that I made a clean install of XP on to get rid of all the
>> Sony ****. But for the useful utilites I had to install this Sony

> Download
>> Taxi download thing which gets all the things you need. Here is the page
>> that you need:
>>
>> http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...CGV505BX&LOC=3
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> ss.
>>

> I just installed Download Taxi, it does not give you access to any other
> software not listed on the regular HTTP DL page. The program just gives
> you
> a "simple" way to DL lots of files at once.

Yes, I know, but the point is that that page has the software you want.
You're welcome..

ss.

Jack B. Pollack

"Synapse Syndrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ve6wg.676$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com...
> > "Synapse Syndrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > After

> > CDs.

Notebook

many

> > util

sure

change

> > util?
> >>

> >> I have a VAIO that I made a clean install of XP on to get rid of all

the
> >> Sony ****. But for the useful utilites I had to install this Sony

> > Download
> >> Taxi download thing which gets all the things you need. Here is the

page
> >> that you need:
> >>
> >> http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...CGV505BX&LOC=3
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>
> >> ss.
> >>

> > I just installed Download Taxi, it does not give you access to any other
> > software not listed on the regular HTTP DL page. The program just gives
> > you
> > a "simple" way to DL lots of files at once.
> >>

> Yes, I know, but the point is that that page has the software you want.
> You're welcome..
>
> ss.

I DO appreciate your time, but I don't see the PP program anywhere the page.

Synapse Syndrome

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jo6wg.1621$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com...

> the
>> > Download

> page

>> > I just installed Download Taxi, it does not give you access to any
>> > other
>> > software not listed on the regular HTTP DL page. The program just gives
>> > you
>> > a "simple" way to DL lots of files at once.
>> >>

>> Yes, I know, but the point is that that page has the software you want.
>> You're welcome..
>>
>> ss.
>>

> I DO appreciate your time, but I don't see the PP program anywhere the
> page.

Well if PP isn't doing what it should maybe it needs some underlying drivers
to interface with thee hardware. Make sure you have these two installed:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...d=1005&os_id=7

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...d=1004&os_id=7

and possibly this, but probably not:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...d=1325&os_id=7

ss.

Jack B. Pollack

"Synapse Syndrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jo6wg.1621$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com...

> > the

> > page

gives

> >> Yes, I know, but the point is that that page has the software you want.
> >> You're welcome..
> >>
> >> ss.
> >>

> > I DO appreciate your time, but I don't see the PP program anywhere the
> > page.
> >

> Well if PP isn't doing what it should maybe it needs some underlying

drivers
> to interface with thee hardware. Make sure you have these two installed:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...&upd_id=1005&o
s_id=7

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...&upd_id=1004&o
s_id=7

> and possibly this, but probably not:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...&upd_id=1325&o
s_id=7

> ss.

Thanks again for trying, but I already have these 3 packages installed.