Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Polling a remote switch

Polling a remote switch

komark@gmail.com

Hi,
I need to poll a remote switch on our lan to find out what devices
are connected to it. Once I get the list, I want to compare that with
the list of approved devices that should have been connected.
I am thinking of doing this in PERL. Can you lead me to a open source
code? I need a starting point. Can anyone please help.

Thanks

Omar

Martik

Google "perl windows xp" yields 16.4 millions results

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Martik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Google "perl windows xp" yields 16.4 millions results

Perl's a scripting language, I imagine there's lots of hits; but he
was looking for a clue on writing one for a remote switch.

Google's good but experience is better.

--
Check out what China built.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07...ngtan_mystery/

komark@gmail.com

Exactly....I'm googling for it but getting a lot of result. I need to
be directed to a certain direction.
If anyone can help i will greatly appreciate that.

Thanks

why?

On 20 Jul 2006 17:52:30 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi,
> I need to poll a remote switch on our lan to find out what devices
>are connected to it. Once I get the list, I want to compare that with
>the list of approved devices that should have been connected.

It's easier to change the switch for 1 with port security. You lockout
everything and reenable on a per port approved device.

>I am thinking of doing this in PERL. Can you lead me to a open source
>code? I need a starting point. Can anyone please help.

Look for stuff like ,

perl switch management
perl open source switch management
perl open source network management
perl network management
perl snmp network management
perl cisco
perl 3com

You should be able to figure out a few more searches.

Google (funny how that appears again) as mentioned, the Perl docs /
books / on line examples show exactly how to do this. There are even
several open source monitoring tool books as well as network management
in Perl book and endless books on SNMP.

For Cisco switches, I use the Cisco Telnet module, login to the switches
, suck down the mac table to text files, dump those in a folder and
point Copernic Desktop search to the folder. Similar for the Avaya
switches, and Cisco Routers.

Then again there are just so many monitoring , MIB browsers, Cisco, 3Com
or other vendor specific tools for talking to switches.

Me