Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Any way to quickly change IE6 security from "High" to "Medium" (and vice versa)?

Reply
Thread Tools

Any way to quickly change IE6 security from "High" to "Medium" (and vice versa)?

 
 
Sponge Bob Square Pants
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2006
In IE6 under Tools>Internet Options...>"Security" tab, you can set the
security setting.

When I'm online I pretty much have it set to High all the time, but
sometimes pages won't load that use ActiveX, so I have to change the
security setting, and then put it back to High after reading the web page in
question. (I'll only lower the security setting if I trust the site in
question though).

Does anyone know of a freeware app that adds (say) a drop-down menu to the
"Standard Buttons" toolbar in IE6, with the security levels listed in the
drop-down menu? That way changing security levels would be easier than going
into the menu. Or if not a drop-down menu, something like up and down arrows
(i.e. click the up-arrow to increase the security level, click the
down-arrow to lower the security level).

It's not a big deal doing it once, but it happens a lot, and the menu system
is a bit cumbersome IMO if you're repeatedly changing the settings.

Thanks
Sponge Bob

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Synapse Syndrome
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2006

"Sponge Bob Square Pants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In IE6 under Tools>Internet Options...>"Security" tab, you can set the
> security setting.
>
> When I'm online I pretty much have it set to High all the time, but
> sometimes pages won't load that use ActiveX, so I have to change the
> security setting, and then put it back to High after reading the web page
> in question. (I'll only lower the security setting if I trust the site in
> question though).
>
> Does anyone know of a freeware app that adds (say) a drop-down menu to the
> "Standard Buttons" toolbar in IE6, with the security levels listed in the
> drop-down menu? That way changing security levels would be easier than
> going into the menu. Or if not a drop-down menu, something like up and
> down arrows (i.e. click the up-arrow to increase the security level, click
> the down-arrow to lower the security level).
>
> It's not a big deal doing it once, but it happens a lot, and the menu
> system is a bit cumbersome IMO if you're repeatedly changing the settings.



Why don't you just double click the bottom right corner of the window, the
right end of the status bar where it usually says Inetrnet and has a little
globe symbol? Make sure you have the status bar made visible.

ss.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sponge Bob Square Pants
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2006
"Synapse Syndrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Sponge Bob Square Pants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In IE6 under Tools>Internet Options...>"Security" tab, you can set the
>> security setting.
>>
>> When I'm online I pretty much have it set to High all the time, but
>> sometimes pages won't load that use ActiveX, so I have to change the
>> security setting, and then put it back to High after reading the web page
>> in question. (I'll only lower the security setting if I trust the site in
>> question though).
>>
>> Does anyone know of a freeware app that adds (say) a drop-down menu to
>> the "Standard Buttons" toolbar in IE6, with the security levels listed in
>> the drop-down menu? That way changing security levels would be easier
>> than going into the menu. Or if not a drop-down menu, something like up
>> and down arrows (i.e. click the up-arrow to increase the security level,
>> click the down-arrow to lower the security level).
>>
>> It's not a big deal doing it once, but it happens a lot, and the menu
>> system is a bit cumbersome IMO if you're repeatedly changing the
>> settings.

>
>
> Why don't you just double click the bottom right corner of the window, the
> right end of the status bar where it usually says Inetrnet and has a
> little globe symbol? Make sure you have the status bar made visible.
>
> ss.


How stupid do I feel now?! )
It never occurred to me to double-click there -- you live and learn.
Thanks a lot
Sponge Bob

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2006
Sponge Bob Square Pants wrote:
> In IE6 under Tools>Internet Options...>"Security" tab, you can set the
> security setting.
>
> When I'm online I pretty much have it set to High all the time, but
> sometimes pages won't load that use ActiveX, so I have to change the
> security setting, and then put it back to High after reading the web
> page in question. (I'll only lower the security setting if I trust
> the site in question though).


That's not the way I do it -- change my 'complete' security settings for
when I'm at a site and then change my complete security settings when I
leave the site.

I would rather change my settings for just that site. When I'm at such
a site and I want to loosen my security for the site, I copy the site's
domainname first, then I access the advanced security settings and give
that site and that site only a looser setting.

And I use all 4 default settings, trusted [for only 1 or so sites],
intranet [for my most common loosened condition], internet [normal
surfing mode], and restricted [for OE and some sites]. The intranet,
internet, and restricted are all custom configured to be tight internet
and totally tight restricted. Intranet is tighter than trusted which is
totally loose.

If you use the doubleclick the status bar icon you can get to the
advanced settings, just like if you use Tools/ Internet Options/
Security tab etc. How many mouseclicks you use to access changing the
security setting for the site depends or compares to how much you like
or dislike using the keyboard to navigate.

If you like to navigate with the keyboard, you would copy the site's
domainname and then use alt-T-O to get the Tools/ Internet Options
accessible, just like you did with double clicking the icon.

Then you would ctrl-Tab to get to the Security tab, if the desired
setting is selected, just alt-S to prepare to enter the site's name,
otherwise arrow key until you get the desired security selection and
then alt-S-A to go into advanced

Then you paste in the site's name with ctrl-V and OK [or enter enter
enter] all the way back out.

Describing keypresses takes a lot more words than describing mouse
clicks, but for some functions keyboarding is actually faster. The
other advantage to developing a keyboard strategy is that it can be
programmed as a keyboard macro so as to take only a couple of
keypresses.

I'm not trying to debate mousingclicking vs keyboarding, it's just that
if you only mouse you don't get down fast reflexive keyboard
combinations for commonly performed tasks.


--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
Synapse Syndrome
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2006

"Sponge Bob Square Pants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Synapse Syndrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Sponge Bob Square Pants" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In IE6 under Tools>Internet Options...>"Security" tab, you can set the
>>> security setting.
>>>
>>> When I'm online I pretty much have it set to High all the time, but
>>> sometimes pages won't load that use ActiveX, so I have to change the
>>> security setting, and then put it back to High after reading the web
>>> page in question. (I'll only lower the security setting if I trust the
>>> site in question though).
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a freeware app that adds (say) a drop-down menu to
>>> the "Standard Buttons" toolbar in IE6, with the security levels listed
>>> in the drop-down menu? That way changing security levels would be easier
>>> than going into the menu. Or if not a drop-down menu, something like up
>>> and down arrows (i.e. click the up-arrow to increase the security level,
>>> click the down-arrow to lower the security level).
>>>
>>> It's not a big deal doing it once, but it happens a lot, and the menu
>>> system is a bit cumbersome IMO if you're repeatedly changing the
>>> settings.

>>
>>
>> Why don't you just double click the bottom right corner of the window,
>> the right end of the status bar where it usually says Inetrnet and has a
>> little globe symbol? Make sure you have the status bar made visible.
>>
>> ss.

>
> How stupid do I feel now?! )
> It never occurred to me to double-click there -- you live and learn.
> Thanks a lot
> Sponge Bob


No problem. As you may already have found out, you can access other things
by double clicking in the other little areas.

ss.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2006
Mike Easter wrote:
> Describing keypresses takes a lot more words than describing mouse
> clicks, but for some functions keyboarding is actually faster.


I got a little curious about the efficiency of the keyboard vs the mouse
for this particular problem, so I did a little research/experimenting.

IMO it is the most efficient to use both hands and to both keyboard and
mouseclick if you are R handed and configure for sticky keys. You put
your R hand on the mouse and use your left hand on the L ctrl & alt keys
and the letters C S A and V which are L keys for a touch typist and are
not ergonometrically awkward when combined if you are using sticky keys.

When you arrive at a page that needs to be reconfigured for say internet
to intranet, you use the R hand mouse to dragswipe select the site's
name from the browser addressbar, say www.sandiego.gov, L ctrl-C, R
doubleclick statusbar security icon, L alt-S-A, L ctrl-V, R mouseclick
OK OK OK.

That copies the name, accesses the advanced feature for adding/pasting
www.sandiego.gov to the intranet zone window input and adds it to that
intranet site list and Okays 3 levels out.

That method does not change the 'overall' system to intranet, does not
require changing the system back for general surfing, and prepares the
system to have that site in the intranet zone the next time you are
there for accessing the San Diego City library online features or
something.

The 'rhythm' of those moves will fit into our little brainpan very
easily, and after it is done 2 or 3 times is extremely efficient. Much
more than point and click alone or keyboard alone.



--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
501 PIX "deny any any" "allow any any" Any Anybody? Networking Student Cisco 4 11-16-2006 10:40 PM
setting a hotkey that will change screen resolutions quickly? Jerry Computer Support 1 05-30-2006 09:02 AM
A way to read shelves quickly? zmason@gmail.com Python 1 04-06-2006 03:00 AM
Is There a way to design forms quickly in java? lucianodebarros Java 3 02-16-2006 08:55 PM
SWT -- quickly change widgets displayed Joel S Java 0 12-01-2005 04:37 AM



Advertisments