Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NTLDR is missing

NTLDR is missing

Jerry

My grandson was playing around on my computer and now when I try to boot I
get a message "NTLDR is missing press any key to restart."
When I press a key it comes back to the same screen message. I can't even
get it to boot to safe mode.
Any ideas where it should be able to find NTLDR? Which program is calling
for it? What does NTLDR do?
I hate to have to go through another complete Windows install.
The OS is Windows XP Home Edition.
TIA
Jerry

Matt

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jerry) wrote message
news:BcHvg.2261$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net:

> My grandson was playing around on my computer and now when I
> try to boot I get a message "NTLDR is missing press any key to
> restart." When I press a key it comes back to the same screen
> message. I can't even get it to boot to safe mode.
> Any ideas where it should be able to find NTLDR?

Here's a hint:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-
8&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2006-15,RNWE:en&q=%22NTLDR+is+missing%22

Or even http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) (Jerry) wrote:

|>My grandson was playing around on my computer and now when I try to boot I
|>get a message "NTLDR is missing press any key to restart."
|>When I press a key it comes back to the same screen message. I can't even
|>get it to boot to safe mode.
|>Any ideas where it should be able to find NTLDR? Which program is calling
|>for it? What does NTLDR do?
|>I hate to have to go through another complete Windows install.
|>The OS is Windows XP Home Edition.

This can be a misleading error message, it's likely your C:\BOOT.INI
file is missing or corrupt.

Boot up with your XP CD and get into the recovery console
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/

When at a command prompt (>) type: FIXBOOT
that should take care of it.

--
Check out what China built.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07...ngtan_mystery/

Engineer

Check to see if a disk has been left in the floppy drive.