Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Partition structure problem

Partition structure problem

Suicyco

Long story short, yesterday 3 of 6 partitions on my second hard drive
suddenly became what i believe to be corrupted. i tried accessing files
from the drives and they said they were corrupt(and/or something else.) I
can't access those partitions or the files so i can't give the exact
message it said. Rebooted the system, it went thru checkdisk on those
partition and started doing something with index files. The system rebooted
and now dispays 3 of the partitions with the data intact and also displays
the other partitions but they seem to be empty and the drive labels are
gone.
They some up as healthy partitions but no filesystem in the display
management console. It's a Seagate Baricuda 120GB drive. I used seagates
disk utility and it reported basic structure damge to those partitions. I'm
using Win2k fully updated, Intel Processor. The message that comes up now
when trying to access them is "(drive letter):\ is not accessible. The
wrong diskette is in the drive. Insert (Volume Serial Number: ) into drive
(drive letter):\"
I have no idea what is wrong or how to be able to fix this (or if it's even
possible to fix). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Suicyco

Suicyco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns98061E78CBA83ShockTherapyorg@216.196.97.14 2:

> Long story short, yesterday 3 of 6 partitions on my second hard drive
> suddenly became what i believe to be corrupted. i tried accessing
> files from the drives and they said they were corrupt(and/or something
> else.) I can't access those partitions or the files so i can't give
> the exact message it said. Rebooted the system, it went thru checkdisk
> on those partition and started doing something with index files. The
> system rebooted and now dispays 3 of the partitions with the data
> intact and also displays the other partitions but they seem to be
> empty and the drive labels are gone.
> They some up as healthy partitions but no filesystem in the display
> management console. It's a Seagate Baricuda 120GB drive. I used
> seagates disk utility and it reported basic structure damge to those
> partitions. I'm using Win2k fully updated, Intel Processor. The
> message that comes up now when trying to access them is "(drive
> letter):\ is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive.
> Insert (Volume Serial Number: ) into drive (drive letter):\"
> I have no idea what is wrong or how to be able to fix this (or if it's
> even possible to fix). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> TIA

p.s. seagates diagnostic tool didn't find any problems on the hard drive
itself, when i did a full diagnostic test.

Jimchip

On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Suicyco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns98061E78CBA83ShockTherapyorg@216.196.97.14 2:
>
>> Long story short, yesterday 3 of 6 partitions on my second hard drive
>> suddenly became what i believe to be corrupted. i tried accessing
>> files from the drives and they said they were corrupt(and/or something
>> else.) I can't access those partitions or the files so i can't give
>> the exact message it said. Rebooted the system, it went thru checkdisk
>> on those partition and started doing something with index files. The
>> system rebooted and now dispays 3 of the partitions with the data
>> intact and also displays the other partitions but they seem to be
>> empty and the drive labels are gone.
>> They some up as healthy partitions but no filesystem in the display
>> management console. It's a Seagate Baricuda 120GB drive. I used
>> seagates disk utility and it reported basic structure damge to those
>> partitions. I'm using Win2k fully updated, Intel Processor. The
>> message that comes up now when trying to access them is "(drive
>> letter):\ is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive.
>> Insert (Volume Serial Number: ) into drive (drive letter):\"
>> I have no idea what is wrong or how to be able to fix this (or if it's
>> even possible to fix). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> TIA
>>

> p.s. seagates diagnostic tool didn't find any problems on the hard drive
> itself, when i did a full diagnostic test.

I do not have an answer for you. Similar things have happened to me. I
have learned to say (to myself):
"Oops, looks like that data is toast. Glad I have my backups."

--
In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
with words in the proper order then why can't he?

Suicyco

Jimchip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Suicyco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:Xns98061E78CBA83ShockTherapyorg@216.196.97.14 2:
>>
>>> Long story short, yesterday 3 of 6 partitions on my second hard
>>> drive suddenly became what i believe to be corrupted. i tried
>>> accessing files from the drives and they said they were
>>> corrupt(and/or something else.) I can't access those partitions or
>>> the files so i can't give the exact message it said. Rebooted the
>>> system, it went thru checkdisk on those partition and started doing
>>> something with index files. The system rebooted and now dispays 3 of
>>> the partitions with the data intact and also displays the other
>>> partitions but they seem to be empty and the drive labels are gone.
>>> They some up as healthy partitions but no filesystem in the display
>>> management console. It's a Seagate Baricuda 120GB drive. I used
>>> seagates disk utility and it reported basic structure damge to those
>>> partitions. I'm using Win2k fully updated, Intel Processor. The
>>> message that comes up now when trying to access them is "(drive
>>> letter):\ is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive.
>>> Insert (Volume Serial Number: ) into drive (drive letter):\"
>>> I have no idea what is wrong or how to be able to fix this (or if
>>> it's even possible to fix). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>> TIA
>>>

>> p.s. seagates diagnostic tool didn't find any problems on the hard
>> drive itself, when i did a full diagnostic test.

> I do not have an answer for you. Similar things have happened to me. I
> have learned to say (to myself):
> "Oops, looks like that data is toast. Glad I have my backups."

this is called support group. i would like to know how to fix it or find
out more about this issue so in case it happens in the future and i'm not
prepared, or even if it happens to friends/family, i can fix it or maybe
know more about whats going on. and while i can experiment. if i toast
the partition data i can use my BACKUP discs.
thanks for your help

Jimchip

On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jimchip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Suicyco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:Xns98061E78CBA83ShockTherapyorg@216.196.97.14 2:

>>> p.s. seagates diagnostic tool didn't find any problems on the hard
>>> drive itself, when i did a full diagnostic test.

>> I do not have an answer for you. Similar things have happened to me. I
>> have learned to say (to myself):
>> "Oops, looks like that data is toast. Glad I have my backups."
>>

> this is called support group. i would like to know how to fix it or find
> out more about this issue so in case it happens in the future and i'm not
> prepared, or even if it happens to friends/family, i can fix it or maybe
> know more about whats going on. and while i can experiment. if i toast
> the partition data i can use my BACKUP discs.
> thanks for your help

If I read your message correctly then it looks like you lost your data
but the HD is OK. I would reformat the empty partitions, run my data
back on to them and be back to normal in ~1 hr. YMMV.

BTW, what "this is called support group" and what it really is are,
ahem, different things.

Do you know anything about glurds?

--
In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
with words in the proper order then why can't he?

Suicyco

Jimchip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Jimchip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> I do not have an answer for you. Similar things have happened to me.
>>> I have learned to say (to myself):
>>> "Oops, looks like that data is toast. Glad I have my backups."
>>>

>> this is called support group. i would like to know how to fix it or
>> find out more about this issue so in case it happens in the future
>> and i'm not prepared, or even if it happens to friends/family, i can
>> fix it or maybe know more about whats going on. and while i can
>> experiment. if i toast the partition data i can use my BACKUP discs.
>> thanks for your help

> If I read your message correctly then it looks like you lost your data
> but the HD is OK. I would reformat the empty partitions, run my data
> back on to them and be back to normal in ~1 hr. YMMV.
>
> BTW, what "this is called support group" and what it really is are,
> ahem, different things.
>
> Do you know anything about glurds?

Bye Jim, i have no time for kids games *PLONK*

Jimchip

On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jimchip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Jimchip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> this is called support group. i would like to know how to fix it or
>>> find out more about this issue so in case it happens in the future
>>> and i'm not prepared, or even if it happens to friends/family, i can
>>> fix it or maybe know more about whats going on. and while i can
>>> experiment. if i toast the partition data i can use my BACKUP discs.
>>> thanks for your help

>> If I read your message correctly then it looks like you lost your data
>> but the HD is OK. I would reformat the empty partitions, run my data
>> back on to them and be back to normal in ~1 hr. YMMV.
>>
>> BTW, what "this is called support group" and what it really is are,
>> ahem, different things.
>>
>> Do you know anything about glurds?
>>

> Bye Jim, i have no time for kids games *PLONK*

You won't be reading this but "it is not a game".
You just don't happen to have a clue. It's called "clueless".
Have a nice day.

FYI:
--
PLONK-Please Log Off, Net Kook- Richard Sexton claims to have
originated the use of the term in newsgroups in 1988. He defined it as

Null

Suicyco wrote:

> p.s. seagates diagnostic tool didn't find any problems on the hard drive
> itself, when i did a full diagnostic test.

You could try https://www.seagatedatarecovery.com/index.aspx.

Mara

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:49:08 -0000, Jimchip <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>
>> Bye Jim, i have no time for kids games *PLONK*

>You won't be reading this but "it is not a game".
>You just don't happen to have a clue. It's called "clueless".

But he has SEVENTEEN WHOLE POSTS IN 24HSHD!!1!!!!

Jesus H. Christ.

>Have a nice day.

See sig.

--
Og thought there was such thing as "evolution". How all these stupid
people still alive? Og boggle.

Jimchip

On 2006-07-20, Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:49:08 -0000, Jimchip <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><snip>
>>> Bye Jim, i have no time for kids games *PLONK*

>>You won't be reading this but "it is not a game".
>>You just don't happen to have a clue. It's called "clueless".

> But he has SEVENTEEN WHOLE POSTS IN 24HSHD!!1!!!!

Do you think he didn't like my question re: the glurd?