Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > dropped external hard drive help needed

dropped external hard drive help needed

cyber_simon

Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file folders,
but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts later to run
it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one of my computers .
It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5 gigs of music, movies,
and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a flash drive, then it fell
to the floor. This has important info, and priceless material on it.
Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a tinkerer at heart. Any suggestions
out there ? Thanks for reading this.............................Peace

Toolman Tim

cyber_simon wrote:
> Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
> drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
> plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file folders,
> but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts later to run
> it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one of my computers
> . It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5 gigs of music,
> movies, and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a flash drive, then
> it fell to the floor. This has important info, and priceless material
> on it. Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a tinkerer at heart. Any
> suggestions out there ? Thanks for reading
> this.............................Peace

Having experienced this exact same situation, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
Those Travelstar drives do not handle that kind of thing very well...

jerryg50@hotmail.com

It is very probable that internal damge has occured, and the head
assembly has been knocked out of alignment.

In this condition, the drive may be recoverable by one of the labs that
remove the platters, and read them on a jig assembly that is designed
for data retrieval. These services are very expensive.

This demonstratest the strong requirement for backing up all data.

One of the number of services that perform disk data recovery:
https://www.seagatedatarecovery.com/...FRhTPgodrD7Esw

Jerry G.
=====

cyber_simon wrote:
> Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
> drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
> plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file folders,
> but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts later to run
> it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one of my computers .
> It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5 gigs of music, movies,
> and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a flash drive, then it fell
> to the floor. This has important info, and priceless material on it.
> Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a tinkerer at heart. Any suggestions
> out there ? Thanks for reading this.............................Peace

Budweiser

Not knowing that model---can you open up the enclosure and see if you have
dislodged a lead? -- there again ToolMan tim is generally on the button.
"cyber_simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
> drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
> plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file folders,
> but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts later to run
> it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one of my computers .
> It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5 gigs of music, movies,
> and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a flash drive, then it fell
> to the floor. This has important info, and priceless material on it.
> Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a tinkerer at heart. Any suggestions
> out there ? Thanks for reading this.............................Peace

Mike Easter

cyber_simon wrote:
> Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
> drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
> plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file folders,
> but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts later to run
> it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one of my computers
> . It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5 gigs of music,
> movies, and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a flash drive, then
> it fell to the floor. This has important info, and priceless material
> on it. Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a tinkerer at heart. Any
> suggestions out there ? Thanks for reading
> this.............................Peace

I would simplify the 'equation' by taking it out of the USB case and
connecting it directly to a hdd cable to a computer; that's just a
hitachi ide drive with controller I think.

Then if the computer didn't see it naked you would be having a bit of a
problem that you can only noodle with a little bit without involving
some expensive hdd recovery dudes.

--
Mike Easter

Rectum Burrrn

"cyber_simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in news:1153354880.089518.137980
@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

> Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
> drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
> plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file folders,
> but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts later to run
> it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one of my computers .
> It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5 gigs of music, movies,
> and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a flash drive, then it fell
> to the floor. This has important info, and priceless material on it.
> Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a tinkerer at heart. Any suggestions
> out there ? Thanks for reading this.............................Peace

Yes, you are completely dicked.

HTH

Rectum Burrrn

richard

"cyber_simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
> drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
> plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file folders,
> but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts later to run
> it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one of my computers .
> It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5 gigs of music, movies,
> and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a flash drive, then it fell
> to the floor. This has important info, and priceless material on it.
> Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a tinkerer at heart. Any suggestions
> out there ? Thanks for reading this.............................Peace

I recently bought a maxtor external. Dropped the damn thing on day one and
it refused to work.
I figure that internal drives are better built and you should do what I did.
Buy an internal drive, then a USB enclosure for it. So far, the drives work
quite well.

Toolman Tim

richard wrote:
> "cyber_simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
>> drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
>> plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file
>> folders, but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts
>> later to run it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one
>> of my computers . It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5
>> gigs of music, movies, and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a
>> flash drive, then it fell to the floor. This has important info, and
>> priceless material on it. Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a
>> tinkerer at heart. Any suggestions out there ? Thanks for reading
>> this.............................Peace

> I recently bought a maxtor external. Dropped the damn thing on day
> one and it refused to work.
> I figure that internal drives are better built and you should do what
> I did. Buy an internal drive, then a USB enclosure for it. So far,
> the drives work quite well.

Is RTS back? Sure sounds like it.

An EXTERNAL drive is just an INTERNAL drive in a USB (or firewire, or SCSI,
or SATA, or IDE) external enclosure. They don't make DIFFERENT drives for
the external units.

Jimchip

On 2006-07-21, Toolman Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> richard wrote:
>> "cyber_simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> Hello, I recently dropped my external 2.5" Travelstar 6.4 gb hard
>>> drive. It still spins and the external enclosure lights up when it is
>>> plugged in . The first time I ran it, it showed all the file
>>> folders, but they where "empty" when clicked on. Several attempts
>>> later to run it , it does not appear to be reconized by either one
>>> of my computers . It is a USB connection. I just downloaded over 5
>>> gigs of music, movies, and pictures onto this, it worked fine as a
>>> flash drive, then it fell to the floor. This has important info, and
>>> priceless material on it. Alas, I am not a wealthy man, but a
>>> tinkerer at heart. Any suggestions out there ? Thanks for reading
>>> this.............................Peace

>> I recently bought a maxtor external. Dropped the damn thing on day
>> one and it refused to work.
>> I figure that internal drives are better built and you should do what
>> I did. Buy an internal drive, then a USB enclosure for it. So far,
>> the drives work quite well.

> Is RTS back? Sure sounds like it.

The first name is suggestive and *that other* response of its hit a
chord. Hmmmm.....

--
In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
with words in the proper order then why can't he?

Toolman Tim

Jimchip wrote:
> On 2006-07-21, Toolman Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> richard wrote:
>>> "cyber_simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>>
>>> I recently bought a maxtor external. Dropped the damn thing on day
>>> one and it refused to work.
>>> I figure that internal drives are better built and you should do
>>> what I did. Buy an internal drive, then a USB enclosure for it. So
>>> far, the drives work quite well.

>> Is RTS back? Sure sounds like it.

> The first name is suggestive and *that other* response of its hit a
> chord. Hmmmm.....

scary, huh! <g>