Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Transfer XXCOPY backup to new drive - How?

Reply
Thread Tools

Transfer XXCOPY backup to new drive - How?

 
 
Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2006
Hi

I'm using xxcopy to back-up my C drive to an external USB hdd
I intend to get a new tower
What would be the xxcopy command to transfer my USB back-up to my new
tower's C drive?

--

Martin

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
old man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2006
How do you propose to access the external drive from a sys with no o/s?
You used the correct switches in xxcopy?

<Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I'm using xxcopy to back-up my C drive to an external USB hdd
> I intend to get a new tower
> What would be the xxcopy command to transfer my USB back-up to my new
> tower's C drive?
>
> --
>
> Martin
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2006
Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using xxcopy to back-up my C drive to an external USB hdd
> I intend to get a new tower
> What would be the xxcopy command to transfer my USB back-up to my new
> tower's C drive?


I wouldn't even go there. Here's what I do: Windows File and Settings
Transfer Wizard. Just be sure you run it from the SAME CD on both machines.
Run the wizard on the old machine, telling the program to save the data to a
folder on the external drive. Get the new tower set up just enough to run
the wizard on it (SAME version as the first computer). Point it at the
folder on the external drive where the data was saved. All your email,
address books, My Documents, music, pictures, favorites, desktop settings
(except icon placment) etc. ALL transfer slick as willy's you-know-what.

--
When I was a child, I remember my Mom telling me, "Son, when you grow
up, you can marry any girl you please." When I became a young man, I
learned the sad fact was that I could not please any of them.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2006
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:26:47 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I wouldn't even go there. Here's what I do: Windows File and Settings
>Transfer Wizard.


Hi Toolman
Where is Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard?

>Just be sure you run it from the SAME CD on both machines.


Which cd are u referring to?


>Run the wizard on the old machine, telling the program to save the data to a
>folder on the external drive. Get the new tower set up just enough to run
>the wizard on it (SAME version as the first computer). Point it at the
>folder on the external drive where the data was saved. All your email,
>address books, My Documents, music, pictures, favorites, desktop settings
>(except icon placment) etc. ALL transfer slick as willy's you-know-what.

--

Martin

 
Reply With Quote
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2006
Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:26:47 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't even go there. Here's what I do: Windows File and Settings
>> Transfer Wizard.

>
> Hi Toolman
> Where is Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard?
>
>> Just be sure you run it from the SAME CD on both machines.

>
> Which cd are u referring to?
>


It's on the Windows XP setup CD. Put it in while the system is running, and
read the menu - it's under "Perform additional tasks" then "Transfer files
and settings".

Or, if BOTH systems have SP2 (or both SP1), you can also get to the FAST
wizard from Start / All programs / Accessories / System Tools.

The reason I emphasize use the SAME CD both times is because the wizard is
not compatible between RTM/SP1/SP2 versions of XP. I once did a fella's
computer with SP1, then tried to load it into his new system (which was
SP2), and the SP2 wizard wouldn't read the SP1 data file.

--
When I was a child, I remember my Mom telling me, "Son, when you grow
up, you can marry any girl you please." When I became a young man, I
learned the sad fact was that I could not please any of them.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2006
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:54:30 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Hi Toolman
>> Where is Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard?
>>> Just be sure you run it from the SAME CD on both machines.

>> Which cd are u referring to?


>It's on the Windows XP setup CD. Put it in while the system is running, and
>read the menu - it's under "Perform additional tasks" then "Transfer files
>and settings".
>Or, if BOTH systems have SP2 (or both SP1), you can also get to the FAST
>wizard from Start / All programs / Accessories / System Tools.
>The reason I emphasize use the SAME CD both times is because the wizard is
>not compatible between RTM/SP1/SP2 versions of XP. I once did a fella's
>computer with SP1, then tried to load it into his new system (which was
>SP2), and the SP2 wizard wouldn't read the SP1 data file.


Thank you Toolman for your help
Working now creating Img.dat Video CD Movie files

--

Regards
Martin

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
making a new drive the boot drive in a 2 hard drive system hi2u Computer Support 3 07-30-2007 08:45 PM
I have 100 servers which need a new backup server added to a text file, and then the backup agent restarted. gavino Python 13 07-03-2006 08:37 AM
Backup Q external drive w/USB2 shows drive 2G not 40G Bradley26 Computer Information 3 09-22-2004 01:25 AM
copy WinXP drive for 2nd backup bootable drive Miles Promo Computer Support 2 11-03-2003 10:49 AM



Advertisments