Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Motherboard instalation

Reply
Thread Tools

Motherboard instalation

 
 
Trevor Kenworthy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
A very simple question I hope. I'm about to install a motherboard into a
case, all screws are supplied but there are also some red fibre washers. I
thought there had to be conductivity between the motherboard and the chassis
for earthing/anti static purposes. Am I correct or should I be using these
washers and, if so, where?

Cheers in the hope of an answer

Trevor


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dan Evans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006

"Trevor Kenworthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A very simple question I hope. I'm about to install a motherboard into a
>case, all screws are supplied but there are also some red fibre washers. I
>thought there had to be conductivity between the motherboard and the
>chassis for earthing/anti static purposes. Am I correct or should I be
>using these washers and, if so, where?


They go between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting screws. Any
earthing is done by the PSU. Hoever, feel free to try earthing the
motherboard to the chassis - your retaler will thank you.

Dan





.................................................. ...............
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Trevor Kenworthy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
Thanks for that Dan, I would hate to please the retailer!

Cheers

Trevor

"Dan Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44bd3163$0$7163$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
> "Trevor Kenworthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>A very simple question I hope. I'm about to install a motherboard into a
>>case, all screws are supplied but there are also some red fibre washers. I
>>thought there had to be conductivity between the motherboard and the
>>chassis for earthing/anti static purposes. Am I correct or should I be
>>using these washers and, if so, where?

>
> They go between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting screws. Any
> earthing is done by the PSU. Hoever, feel free to try earthing the
> motherboard to the chassis - your retaler will thank you.
>
> Dan
>
>
>
>
> .................................................. ..............
> Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
> >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Trevor Kenworthy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
"Trevor Kenworthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for that Dan, I would hate to please the retailer!
>
> Cheers
>
> Trevor
>
> "Dan Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44bd3163$0$7163$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> "Trevor Kenworthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>A very simple question I hope. I'm about to install a motherboard into a
>>>case, all screws are supplied but there are also some red fibre washers.
>>>I thought there had to be conductivity between the motherboard and the
>>>chassis for earthing/anti static purposes. Am I correct or should I be
>>>using these washers and, if so, where?

>>
>> They go between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting screws. Any
>> earthing is done by the PSU. Hoever, feel free to try earthing the
>> motherboard to the chassis - your retaler will thank you.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> .................................................. ..............
>> Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>> >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

>> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
>>

>
>


PS I assume that is under the motherboard against the brass "standoff"
screws?

Cheers yet again

Trevor



 
Reply With Quote
 
Trevor Kenworthy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006

"Trevor Kenworthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Trevor Kenworthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for that Dan, I would hate to please the retailer!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Trevor
>>
>> "Dan Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:44bd3163$0$7163$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>>
>>> "Trevor Kenworthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>A very simple question I hope. I'm about to install a motherboard into a
>>>>case, all screws are supplied but there are also some red fibre washers.
>>>>I thought there had to be conductivity between the motherboard and the
>>>>chassis for earthing/anti static purposes. Am I correct or should I be
>>>>using these washers and, if so, where?
>>>
>>> They go between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting screws. Any
>>> earthing is done by the PSU. Hoever, feel free to try earthing the
>>> motherboard to the chassis - your retaler will thank you.
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> .................................................. ..............
>>> Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>> >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
>>> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
>>>

>>
>>

>
> PS I assume that is under the motherboard against the brass "standoff"
> screws?
>
> Cheers yet again
>
> Trevor
>
>
>


OK I'm being really thick here and not thinking this through. If the washers
go behind the motherboars then it would be very difficult as once you have
one screw in place you cant get behind mobo to put the others in. and if you
lay them all in place first they will almost certainly move out of place
before the screws are all in place.

Why are the simple things confusing??

Cheers

Trevor


 
Reply With Quote
 
dadiOH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
Trevor Kenworthy wrote:

> Why are the simple things confusing??


It's the government's fault

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico



 
Reply With Quote
 
Margolotta
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:20:05 +0100, Trevor Kenworthy wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

>
> "Trevor Kenworthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Trevor Kenworthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks for that Dan, I would hate to please the retailer!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Trevor
>>>
>>> "Dan Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:44bd3163$0$7163$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>>>
>>>> "Trevor Kenworthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> A very simple question I hope. I'm about to install a motherboard into a
>>>>> case, all screws are supplied but there are also some red fibre washers.
>>>>> I thought there had to be conductivity between the motherboard and the
>>>>> chassis for earthing/anti static purposes. Am I correct or should I be
>>>>> using these washers and, if so, where?
>>>>
>>>> They go between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting screws. Any
>>>> earthing is done by the PSU. Hoever, feel free to try earthing the
>>>> motherboard to the chassis - your retaler will thank you.
>>>>
>>>> Dan
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> .................................................. ..............
>>>> Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>>>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
>>>> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
>>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>> PS I assume that is under the motherboard against the brass "standoff"
>> screws?
>>
>> Cheers yet again
>>
>> Trevor
>>
>>
>>

>
> OK I'm being really thick here and not thinking this through. If the washers
> go behind the motherboars then it would be very difficult as once you have
> one screw in place you cant get behind mobo to put the others in. and if you
> lay them all in place first they will almost certainly move out of place
> before the screws are all in place.
>
> Why are the simple things confusing??
>
> Cheers
>
> Trevor
>
>


Screw brass stand-offs into case. Place 'washer' on top of each brass
stand-off. Place motherboard on top. Affix into stand-offs with screws. I
wouldn't have thought it was that difficult, really. I've done it at least a
dozen times without problems.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dan Evans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006

"Trevor Kenworthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> PS I assume that is under the motherboard against the brass "standoff"
> screws?


I put the standoffs in the chassis, motherboard on the standoffs, washers
over the holes (on the rare occasion I use them, which is only when there is
a chance the client may take a look inside) then put the screws in. If you
look carefully you'll see that there is no circuitry in the area, top or
bottom, on the motherbroad. All the washers really do is soak up vibration,
and it's debatable whether they do a good job of it given that if it were to
work, you would need one above and one below the hole, and there are never
enough to do that.

Dan





.................................................. ...............
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dan Evans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006

"Margolotta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s-media.phx...

> I've done it at least a
> dozen times without problems.


I'll bet you haven't.

Dan





.................................................. ...............
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

 
Reply With Quote
 
Zitty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006

"Dan Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44bd3163$0$7163$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
> "Trevor Kenworthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>A very simple question I hope. I'm about to install a motherboard into a
>>case, all screws are supplied but there are also some red fibre washers. I
>>thought there had to be conductivity between the motherboard and the
>>chassis for earthing/anti static purposes. Am I correct or should I be
>>using these washers and, if so, where?

>
> They go between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting screws. Any
> earthing is done by the PSU. Hoever, feel free to try earthing the
> motherboard to the chassis - your retaler will thank you.


???

You've never actually fitted a motherboard have you?

The screws are metal and therefore CONDUCTIVE.

As soon as you screw the motherboard down you will earth the motherboard to
the chassis regardless of having fibre washers fitted or not.





 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DWL-G520 INSTALATION =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= Wireless Networking 2 08-08-2005 03:45 PM
XP Pro Instalation Dan Computer Support 1 09-13-2004 09:00 AM
PowerPoint 10.0 Object library access and Office instalation. Aleksandar Panov ASP .Net 0 12-03-2003 06:16 PM
What do i need to do to burn an iso image. After instalation ai keep getting the error message plz insert the correct cd rom. fokker Computer Support 4 09-02-2003 12:39 PM
Directx 9.0a Instalation in VS studio .NET 2003 Joao Santa Barbara ASP .Net 1 07-11-2003 01:27 PM



Advertisments