Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ISPs kicking routers off internet?

ISPs kicking routers off internet?

John Navas

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:44:52 +1000, Barry OGrady
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>All ISPs have limits on how much you can download before being shaped.

That's not true in the USA -- DSL services with no limits or shaping are
common, including offerings by AT&T (SBC) and its resellers (e.g.,
Sonic.net).

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://Wireless.wikia.com>
John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi>

Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:44:52 +1000, in alt.internet.wireless , Barry
OGrady <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You must be very old. Nobody uses feet these days.

Eh? around 250 million people use feet as their daily measure of
length, and probably another 50 million think that way.

--
Mark McIntyre

Allan

"Mark McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:44:52 +1000, in alt.internet.wireless , Barry
> OGrady <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>You must be very old. Nobody uses feet these days.

> Eh? around 250 million people use feet as their daily measure of
> length, and probably another 50 million think that way.
>
> --
> Mark McIntyre

He means they use cars.

Allan

Ponder

Hiya Barry OGrady.

In <news:(E-Mail Removed) > you wrote:

> You must be very old. Nobody uses feet these days.

I hope you never have to fly

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

clot

Ponder wrote:
> Hiya Barry OGrady.
>
> In <news:(E-Mail Removed) > you wrote:
>
>> You must be very old. Nobody uses feet these days.

> I hope you never have to fly

Ivor Jones

"Allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44c15715$0$22106$(E-Mail Removed)
> "Mark McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:44:52 +1000, in
> > alt.internet.wireless , Barry OGrady
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > You must be very old. Nobody uses feet these days.

> > Eh? around 250 million people use feet as their daily
> > measure of length, and probably another 50 million
> > think that way.

> He means they use cars.

How do they get to their cars from their doors..?

Ivor

John Navas

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 00:54:44 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in <(E-Mail Removed)>:

>"Allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:44c15715$0$22106$(E-Mail Removed)
>> "Mark McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:44:52 +1000, in
>> > alt.internet.wireless , Barry OGrady
>> >
>> > Eh? around 250 million people use feet as their daily
>> > measure of length, and probably another 50 million
>> > think that way.

>> He means they use cars.

>How do they get to their cars from their doors..?

They live in them.

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://Wireless.wikia.com>
John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi>
Wi-Fi How To: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi_How_To>
Fixes to Wi-Fi Problems: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi_Fixes>

Pier Danone

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| "Allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:44c15715$0$22106$(E-Mail Removed)
| > "Mark McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
| > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:44:52 +1000, in
| > > alt.internet.wireless , Barry OGrady
| > >
| > > Eh? around 250 million people use feet as their daily
| > > measure of length, and probably another 50 million
| > > think that way.
| >
| > He means they use cars.
|
| How do they get to their cars from their doors..?

Drive through Doctors Practice. You turn up at the first window, then pick up
your perscription from the second.

chris

chris wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> Hey there,
>>
>> Want to know: is there some signal an ISP can send to your router that
>> will disable it? Some ISPs don't want their users sharing the
>> internet, and I've heard rumours that there is actually some sort of
>> signal they can send out to disable the internet on their routers.
>>
>> If so, this may be happening to me: I have a wireless router set up so
>> I can have the internet in my living room, but every now and again
>> (about 3 or 4 times a week), I loose internet completely, and the
>> router is unable to reconnect. It gets some error like "cant get ip
>> address" or something. The only solution is to unplug the router &
>> modem and plug them back in.
>>
>> Anyone else ever heard of this? Any details you can point me to on
>> this mysterious signal? Any details I can look up? Any solution to
>> stop the drops anyone can offer?
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Hi Rob,
>
> The problem with routers and service providers stems from the routers
> ability to check/renew its lease in timing intervals, routers have been
> known to deny their own service due to inefficient dhcp client.
>
> Routers also have tendencies to overheat and often at that, the more you
> do and the longer its on are not helpful for its cpu, take a look at a
> cisco device for example - if you over utilize the cpu the potential for
> hanging the device is great causing a denial of service.
>
> It helps to have more ram for queue space inside the device to handle
> the packet transmission, improper non matching MTU sizes - lots of small
> packets - mixes of jumbo packets can cause problems (someone has to
> break them up somewhere and sequence them)
>
> The problems with routers lie in the device itself, firmware can fix a
> fair amount of problems however device construction and protocol
> limiting can also help even further.
>
> If you were to setup a personal linux router i bet you the chances of
> powercycling the home built router are nil if you don't use the machine
> for personal - at least in my experience.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Chris

hmm, no comments?

William P.N. Smith