Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ISPs kicking routers off internet?

Reply
Thread Tools

ISPs kicking routers off internet?

 
 
Rob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
Hey there,

Want to know: is there some signal an ISP can send to your router that
will disable it? Some ISPs don't want their users sharing the
internet, and I've heard rumours that there is actually some sort of
signal they can send out to disable the internet on their routers.

If so, this may be happening to me: I have a wireless router set up so
I can have the internet in my living room, but every now and again
(about 3 or 4 times a week), I loose internet completely, and the
router is unable to reconnect. It gets some error like "cant get ip
address" or something. The only solution is to unplug the router &
modem and plug them back in.

Anyone else ever heard of this? Any details you can point me to on
this mysterious signal? Any details I can look up? Any solution to
stop the drops anyone can offer?

Rob

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
Rob wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> Want to know: is there some signal an ISP can send to your router that
> will disable it? Some ISPs don't want their users sharing the
> internet, and I've heard rumours that there is actually some sort of
> signal they can send out to disable the internet on their routers.
>
> If so, this may be happening to me: I have a wireless router set up so
> I can have the internet in my living room, but every now and again
> (about 3 or 4 times a week), I loose internet completely, and the
> router is unable to reconnect. It gets some error like "cant get ip
> address" or something. The only solution is to unplug the router &
> modem and plug them back in.
>
> Anyone else ever heard of this? Any details you can point me to on
> this mysterious signal? Any details I can look up? Any solution to
> stop the drops anyone can offer?


I have grave doubts that your ISP is doing it to you. But Google up
"Silver Bullet" to see what some cable companies have done. A new router
may help. Reconfiguring what you have is likely the best answer.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006

Rgr wrote:
> I have grave doubts that your ISP is doing it to you. But Google up
> "Silver Bullet" to see what some cable companies have done. A new router
> may help. Reconfiguring what you have is likely the best answer.


I google "Silver Bullet", but I can't find anything relating to cable
companies...what are you talking about?

Rob

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
Rob wrote:
> Rgr wrote:
>
>>I have grave doubts that your ISP is doing it to you. But Google up
>>"Silver Bullet" to see what some cable companies have done. A new router
>>may help. Reconfiguring what you have is likely the best answer.

>
>
> I google "Silver Bullet", but I can't find anything relating to cable
> companies...what are you talking about?


Back a few years ago, people were buying illegal boxes that were set to
pick up all channels. Perhaps it was satellite instead of cable, I don't
keep up since I'm not into that. But the companies could send out what
was referred to as a "silver bullet" and basically kill the illegal
boxes. They didn't work again, unless you really jumped through hoops.
But ISP's (btw, I'm an ISP on a small scale) don't give a crap if you
have more than one computer hooked up. Just don't be hooking up your
neighbors and/or reselling the hookup. Then you're crossing the line.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>> I google "Silver Bullet", but I can't find anything relating to cable
|>> companies...what are you talking about?
|>
|>Back a few years ago, people were buying illegal boxes that were set to
|>pick up all channels. Perhaps it was satellite instead of cable

Satellite, and called black sunday (cause they turn'd it off during
much anticipated foot ball game)
http://impressive.net/archives/fogo/...impressive.net

Another very interesting read. is how DirecTv used the hackers to help
reprogram bad bios chips - it was truly ingenious.

--
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny.php
 
Reply With Quote
 
L83R
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006

"Rob" wrote in message

> I can have the internet in my living room, but every now and again
> (about 3 or 4 times a week), I loose internet completely, and the
> router is unable to reconnect. It gets some error like "cant get ip
> address" or something. The only solution is to unplug the router &
> modem and plug them back in.


If you are DSL, you may have a problem I encountered,
in that I was at the exteme limit of the service (about
12,000 feet I believe). When upping my dsl speed, the modem
started erroring out and resetting. When they dropped my speed
back down, the problem went away. The explanation was that
by doubling my speed, the errors to the modem increased
exponentially. DSL does not care what or how much you
downoad, as it is a dedicated line... many of the cable companies
are now limiting uploads to a gigabyte a month or whatever.
If you are on cable, that may be a possibility, but as you are
resetting so often, I would doubt that to be the problem.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry Attic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
"Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in news:1153201407.495796.80310
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

> Hey there,
>
> Want to know: is there some signal an ISP can send to your router that
> will disable it? Some ISPs don't want their users sharing the
> internet, and I've heard rumours that there is actually some sort of
> signal they can send out to disable the internet on their routers.
>
> If so, this may be happening to me: I have a wireless router set up so
> I can have the internet in my living room, but every now and again
> (about 3 or 4 times a week), I loose internet completely, and the
> router is unable to reconnect. It gets some error like "cant get ip
> address" or something. The only solution is to unplug the router &
> modem and plug them back in.
>
> Anyone else ever heard of this? Any details you can point me to on
> this mysterious signal? Any details I can look up? Any solution to
> stop the drops anyone can offer?


Could be their server screwing up or maybe you should try updating the
firmware on your router. If it's their server, not much you do about it.

Jerry
 
Reply With Quote
 
Margolotta
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:46:33 +0100, L83R wrote
(in article <dt%ug.1449$(E-Mail Removed) et>):

>
> "Rob" wrote in message
>
>> I can have the internet in my living room, but every now and again
>> (about 3 or 4 times a week), I loose internet completely, and the
>> router is unable to reconnect. It gets some error like "cant get ip
>> address" or something. The only solution is to unplug the router &
>> modem and plug them back in.

>
> If you are DSL, you may have a problem I encountered,
> in that I was at the exteme limit of the service (about
> 12,000 feet I believe). When upping my dsl speed, the modem
> started erroring out and resetting. When they dropped my speed
> back down, the problem went away. The explanation was that
> by doubling my speed, the errors to the modem increased
> exponentially. DSL does not care what or how much you
> downoad, as it is a dedicated line..


Er, not true - I don't know about the US, but here in the UK many DSL
providers *DO* limit downloads (e.g. BT's basic package (14.99pcm, IIRC)
caps users at 2GBpcm - this is true for many ISPs in this country.) Even
those packages which state 'unlimited' are usually subject to a 'Fair Use'
policy (FUP) - for example my ISP lets me download as much as I like between
8am and 6pm during the working week, but caps downloads between 6pm and
midnight and weekends to 50GBpcm. I have never encountered a limit on uploads
but, then, I don't upload all that much (despite my ISP's assertions to the
contrary - the other day they accused me of uploading over half a terabyte in
a week - pure bullshit - even if I left a P2P app running 24/7 I'd nowhere
approach that in so short a time, I wouldn't have thought).

Though, as you say, I would have thought uploads would be capped, otherwise
people could upload anything and everything.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Roger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006

"Margolotta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s-media.phx...


> I have never encountered a limit on uploads
> but, then, I don't upload all that much


ISPs calculate both uploads and downloads into your useage limit.

If you download 2GB and upload 1GB, that would total 3GB of your monthly
useage.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Doz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2006
On 17 Jul 2006 22:43:27 -0700, Rob wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Want to know: is there some signal an ISP can send to your router that
> will disable it? Some ISPs don't want their users sharing the
> internet, and I've heard rumours that there is actually some sort of
> signal they can send out to disable the internet on their routers.
>
> If so, this may be happening to me: I have a wireless router set up so
> I can have the internet in my living room, but every now and again
> (about 3 or 4 times a week), I loose internet completely, and the
> router is unable to reconnect. It gets some error like "cant get ip
> address" or something. The only solution is to unplug the router &
> modem and plug them back in.
>
> Anyone else ever heard of this? Any details you can point me to on
> this mysterious signal? Any details I can look up? Any solution to
> stop the drops anyone can offer?
>
> Rob


Sounds like your router is failing to get a new IP off the ISP's system..

Maybe if you supplied more info we could help you out a little more.
Eg. Make, model of router.. how it's wired up etc.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kicking off a python script using Windows Scheduled Task korean_dave Python 2 10-19-2008 02:57 AM
Kicking off multiple processes at once instead of waiting.... Simon Perl Misc 8 07-04-2007 02:36 AM
router kicking modem off line? donna Computer Support 6 01-21-2006 11:51 PM
2nd wireless signal kicking user off network =?Utf-8?B?emFnbmV3?= Wireless Networking 3 09-18-2005 10:43 PM
OnLoad kicking off process Matt Java 2 02-25-2004 04:28 PM



Advertisments